The consequence thread (Brexit)

Correction - they don't. They say that all workers have to be treated equally.

Why does the UK not have a contributory system? Is that the fault of the EU? Isn't your gripe with the fact that the UK doesn't have such a system? Wouldn't that resolve a lot of different issues, from 'benefit scroungers' to 'migrants coming for benefits'? The EU isn't wasn't stopping the UK changing that.

No it doesn't have a generous system at all, it has an appallingly low welfare system as a percentage of average income compared to many EU countries. It is a fallacy to think EU migrants come here for benefits. What are they going to live of? Where are they going to live?

The EU didn't say that at all, the EU has consistently told the UK that it can change its system as long as it remains equal for all employees. The UK tried to introduce a system where British workers were favoured over EU workers, that is discrimination. However, the EU never told the UK it couldn't stop benefits for non-working EEA migrants, that was just the UK government not wanting to change. So here we are, Britain out of the EU, a Tory government with who knows what in charge in a few months and no doubt a lot of panic football to mitigate the impact of Brexit.

So in order to cut off non-UK workers, we would be required to cut off UK citizens as well? If so, that's why it hasn't happened. We don't want to do that.

So in order to cut off non-UK workers, we would be required to cut off UK citizens as well? If so, that's why it hasn't happened. We don't want to do that.

The difference is in workers and in non-workers. I am not sure which part of that you don't understand and then make the jump to cutting off UK citizens.

It is very simple, in the single market an employer has to treat employees the same, no matter which nationality. Receiving out of work benefits from your government is not part of that rule.

This is one, of many, points that I have been putting across on this forum for a long time and one, of many, that is consistently ignored or wilfully misunderstood to justify a Brexit.

Brexit is here, let's see how things change. I for one do not have a lot of faith in things improving for workers. In fact, I can see a new wave of anti-immigration voters arising once it becomes clear that Boris and co don't actually want to change migration law despite a Brexit.

Exactly. At some point the EU "jumped the shark" and the UK is just the first to say we're out.

At some point I expect the EU to come to some sort of light bulb moment, and realise that absolute free movement of people, and certain other things might be a bad idea. I still expect a "please don't go" offer to keep the UK and discourage other member state's citizens from wanting referendi (I just made that word up).

I am waiting for news from the large companies that opened up in Britain because it was deemed a great place to trade with Europe, low taxes, no tariffs, a strong pound.

We shall see, but I have a feeling that this uncertainty is going to take until the final brexit button has been pushed and the complete terms and conditions for trade with the EU are clear. That could be in a couple of years, that could be in a decade.

<snip>.

Meanwhile, while they're waiting for the final terms to be sorted, there will be no further large scale investment due to the uncertainty

It's so shortsighted really..

No, what was short sighted was to ignore the concerns people had with EU membership, and immigration from the EU, and thinking there would be no long term consequence. The chickens have come home to roost.

Longer term consequences:

I think there will be growing unrest in Europe as more and more countries agitate for referendums and/or change. The EU will get heavy handed at supressing dissent. The whole thing will crumble. A new,fairer, better EU will arise. Britain will join and end up leading it. And everything will be lovely....

You could be right, if the EU fails, but very wrong if it doesn't