The consequence thread (Brexit)

My MP is Clegg so he would... he has nothing to lose!

And, like you say, there is crowd funding in place to support it.

I'd like to see it happen too. But it's highly unlikely.

As Sir Tam Dalyell says, it requires MPs to have the balls to do it.

Edited by Radan

I'd like to see it happen too. But it's highly unlikely.

As Sir Tam Dalyell says, it requires MPs to have the balls to do it.

Not balls, but self-entitlement, arrogance, and a total disrespect for democracy and the people, and from what I've seen there is plenty of that around in the HoP.

Not balls, but self-entitlement, arrogance, and a total disrespect for democracy and the people, and from what I've seen there is plenty of that around in the HoP.

Tough talk. Sounds like you positively expect it to happen then Lex?

Can you explain how democratically elected MPs using their knowledge and gut instinct to vote with their conscience against a non-legally binding referendum won with a 4% majority on a 72% turnout shows a 'total lack of democracy?'

Tough talk. Sounds like you positively expect it to happen then Lex?

Can you explain how democratically elected MPs using their knowledge and gut instinct to vote with their conscience against a non-legally binding referendum won with a 4% majority on a 72% turnout shows a 'total lack of democracy?'

I thought you were repeating the 'tough talk'.

No, I don't expect it to happen.

Because they put it to the whole of the country to vote using their knowledge and gut instinct to vote with their conscience instead.

How is it disrespect for democracy? The MPs we are asking to vote this through were all democratically elected for parties that had EU membership as a core policy.

The only party that campaigned on a platform of Brexit only got one MP

The referendum was reasonably close. Nearly half of those who voted do not want to Brexit.

I accept that there was a vote to Brexit but there are other factors that can't just be swept away. I think Brexiters fully understand this weakness as we move forward. The support is volatile and could easily switch back to remain, and there are going to be dozens of hurdles to negotiate many of which could reduce ongoing Brexit support.

I thought you were repeating the 'tough talk'.

No, I don't expect it to happen.

Because they put it to the whole of the country to vote using their knowledge and gut instinct to vote with their conscience instead.

Yep, but what the public think can be ignored. Can't it Lex?

I don't even think our politicians believe that, although I'm sure some will have initially thought on these lines.

They don't have to believe it. It's a fact.

No article 50 yet. Next year at the earliest according to Gove. It might all be forgotten by Xmas :)

How is it disrespect for democracy? The MPs we are asking to vote this through were all democratically elected for parties that had EU membership as a core policy.

The only party that campaigned on a platform of Brexit only got one MP

The referendum was reasonably close. Nearly half of those who voted do not want to Brexit.

I accept that there was a vote to Brexit but there are other factors that can't just be swept away. I think Brexiters fully understand this weakness as we move forward. The support is volatile and could easily switch back to remain, and there are going to be dozens of hurdles to negotiate many of which could reduce ongoing Brexit support.

Because our government decided to put the question to the people.

It was close, but we were told clearly how important the vote was and that even if there was only one vote between the sides, that would constitute a decision.

I understand that many people, almost half of who voted, are disappointed, and that is a very large number, and we have to respect this but the fact remains that we also have to respect that when the country was asked, they gave an answer.