The consequence thread (Brexit)

As May's department was viewed as having the lead on immigration, and immigration figures have been the highest ever under her watch, I think it's unlikely that she will be successful, given the circumstances of this contest.

I agree, the main reason for leaving the EU was the large numbers of immigrants, the very department that May was in charge of. You couldnt make it up :loopy:

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 00:09 ----------

In the absolute worst worst worst case scenario, we might end up, for a relatively short while, drop to perhaps the 6th or 7th richest country in the world instead of 5th. Big deal.

With the ££ dropping so low, does that reduce our ranking?

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 00:16 ----------

Going by GDP per capita, the United Kingdom comes out as the 25th richest country globally; I guess being the 5th richest is just Tory spin ;)

I agree, the main reason for leaving the EU was the large numbers of immigrants, the very department that May was in charge of. You couldnt make it up :loopy:

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 00:09 ----------

With the ££ dropping so low, does that reduce our ranking?

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 00:16 ----------

Going by GDP per capita, the United Kingdom comes out as the 25th richest country globally; I guess being the 5th richest is just Tory spin ;)

No. They're referring to ranking by total GDP rather than per capita as it's an estimate of influence and clout.

Since the narrow vote to leave the EU I`ve been surprised at the strength of feeling of so many people who want to stay in the EU. My own feelings are, if anything, strengthening. I want me and my family to be officially part of the European family, plus have the right to travel anywhere within the EU and stay if we so choose. In order to do that I, and my family, need a passport from a country still in the EU. But how to go about it ? Has anyone got any ideas ?

My wife`s Grandfather was Irish, does that mean we (my wife, me and our son) have got a right to an Irish passport ? If we haven`t that`s a bit rich when, if I`ve got this right, you can play football for Ireland if you`ve got an Irish Grandparent !

One other potential method. If Scotland breaks away and stays (or joins) the EU, will we be entitled to a Scottish passport ? What about if we go and live there ? I`m fortunate I run my own business which is 95% internet generated mail order sales, so technically I could move it to Scotland relatively easily. That`s assuming the cost of carriage across into England would be the same as it is now, a big assumption I admit. But if it isn`t then that is one more nail in the coffin of those who said our economy would be just fine if we left the EU.....

Edited by Justin Smith

Scotlands going nowhere...it's skint.

Keep calm and carry on.

England`s skint too ! In fact, if we`re to believe what we`re told, everyone`s skint ! !

What`s interesting is how this EU referendum result has had such massive side effects. I was passionately wanted Scotland to remain part of the UK at the Scottish independence referendum two years ago. But if it were reheld I`d want the result to go the other way.

Edited by Justin Smith

Since the narrow vote to leave the EU I`ve been surprised at the strength of feeling of so many people who want to stay in the EU. My own feelings are, if anything, strengthening. I want me and my family to be officially part of the European family, plus have the right to travel anywhere within the EU and stay if we so choose. In order to do that I, and my family, need a passport from a country still in the EU. But how to go about it ? Has anyone got any ideas ?

My wife`s Grandfather was Irish, does that mean we (my wife, me and our son) have got a right to an Irish passport ? If we haven`t that`s a bit rich when, if I`ve got this right, you can play football for Ireland if you`ve got an Irish Grandparent !

One other potential method. If Scotland breaks away and stays (or joins) the EU, will we be entitled to a Scottish passport ? What about if we go and live there ? I`m fortunate I run my own business which is 95% internet generated mail order sales, so technically I could move it to Scotland relatively easily. That`s assuming the cost of carriage across into England would be the same as it is now, a big assumption I admit. But if it isn`t then that is one more nail in the coffin of those who said our economy would be just fine if we left the EU.....

Your wife can possibly become an Irish citizen and get an Irish passport. After that you and your family could possibly then go and live there for a time for whatever number of years it would take to gain citizenship through a combination of your wife's Irish citizenship and qualifying years for citizenship based on residency in the country. That is probably going to be the easiest way for you to become an Irish citizen.

But wait a minute............of all the things that will change when we Brexit the passport thing is not a big issue. Leisure travel to the EU will not require a visa and at worst you will be inconvenienced for a short time while entering the EU, e.g. through passport control.

I guess you are really asking about opportunities for work and study after Brexit. That is more difficult. We don't yet know the answers but based on our politicians' stated goal to prevent people moving freely to the UK from the EU to work and study then we absolutely have to be prepared for restrictions the other way too. Not good really.

we should kick scotland out, another leach on our skin sucking what they can, why do they get free prescriptions ? and we pay nearly £9 per item ???

One of the SNPs flagship policies. Strangely enough, most people i know think those who can afford to pay should pay. I feel awkward when i ever need to pick up meds for myself.

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 10:34 ----------

Someone in one of the papers said " If the SNP had their way , then Scotland would turn into Greece without the sun "

Haha! Probably right.

Off the top of my head i think around 1 in 5 people in Scotland is employed by the UK government (give or take about 50,000-80,000 employed directly by the Scottish government). Give Scotland her independence, and this is a lot of salary/pensions to find.