The consequence thread (Brexit)

Why would we have the best education system in the world?

Our education system is highly "progressive" and every attempt to move it more toward the more successful systems such as in China is met by ferocious resistance from the teaching unions.

Gove attempted to move it in the right direction and he got voted down in parliament, then fired.

The best system in the world is regarded as Finland, where children don't start the formal process until they are 7, but we keep chasing after the Chinese method, where they start at 3 and are indoctrinated, or the American system which is ralatively cheap and failing.

But you never hear the Finish method even mentioned.

The best system in the world is regarded as Finland, where children don't start the formal process until they are 7, but we keep chasing after the Chinese method, where they start at 3 and are indoctrinated, or the American system which is ralatively cheap and failing.

Quite right.

Can't see China anywhere on this list.

http://www.mbctimes.com/english/20-best-education-systems-world

We do well here though. Thank you USA!

http://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/education-full-list

So...is he a good Justice Secretary at least??????

Edited by Radan

Similar system in Norway. Until about age 7 education is focused on having fun, spending time outdoors, social development and learning skills. No pressure, no formal tests, no grades. It's a superb system and I've seen it in action with friends of ours who live in Norway.

You are positive about Gove, do you base this on any facts?

Not really. It's a subjective impression from memory when it was all going on.

Biggest thing was that he spoke fiercely against nonsense GCSEs and pushed hard on STEM. He tried to take action against the ridiculous grade inflation we've had for as long as I can remember.

I'd been wanting an education secretary to do those 2 things for many years.

It's just my viewpoint. Sorry for side-tracking the thread.

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 21:57 ----------

Similar system in Norway. Until about age 7 education is focused on having fun, spending time outdoors, social development and learning skills. No pressure, no formal tests, no grades. It's a superb system and I've seen it in action with friends of ours who live in Norway.

Does it produce better or even comparable results to the Chinese system?

If not, then what makes it "superb"?

Not really. It's a subjective impression from memory when it was all going on.

Biggest thing was that he spoke fiercely against nonsense GCSEs and pushed hard on STEM. He tried to take action against the ridiculous grade inflation we've had for as long as I can remember.

I'd been wanting an education secretary to do those 2 things for many years.

It's just my viewpoint. Sorry for side-tracking the thread.

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 21:57 ----------

Read those two links I posted above. The Chinese system isn't all that hot you know.

Or this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/is-chinas-world-beating-school-system-really-the-best-for-students-10436813.html

Why would we have the best education system in the world?

Our education system is highly "progressive" and every attempt to move it more toward the more successful systems such as in China is met by ferocious resistance from the teaching unions.

Gove attempted to move it in the right direction and he got voted down in parliament, then fired.

My point was that a government will mess things around constantly. You could use the NHS as an example too. What I'm saying is that a free governmental hand is not going to guarantee success or stability. As bad as the EU is it was the better of two evils in so much it offered a constant.

My point was that a government will mess things around constantly. You could use the NHS as an example too. What I'm saying is that a free governmental hand is not going to guarantee success or stability. As bad as the EU is it was the better of two evils in so much it offered a constant.

North Korea has constant leadership. So does China. Cuba does too. I could go on.

Democracy is bad for stability. Stability cannot be the primary goal.

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 22:09 ----------

Read those two links I posted above. The Chinese system isn't all that hot you know.

Or this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/is-chinas-world-beating-school-system-really-the-best-for-students-10436813.html

The primary purpose of the education system is to teach children skills to make them economically useful. The Chinese system does that.

This is what is required to have the worlds best education system.

If you have other priorities, I understand that. Social skills, other non-academic development, they all have value. But they come at the cost of inferior academic performance.

We don't have the best education system because we don't want it. We give our schools other priorities. You can't have it both ways.

What do you mean by results? And how are they measured in the Chinese system so international comparisons can take place?

The think I like about the Norway system is the way it focuses on children as individuals, not robotic learning machines. Attainment is still high and the Norwegian workforce is highly skilled and versatile.

North Korea has constant leadership. So does China. Cuba does too. I could go on.

Democracy is bad for stability. Stability cannot be the primary goal.

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 22:09 ----------

The primary purpose of the education system is to teach children skills to make them economically useful. The Chinese system does that.

This is what is required to have the worlds best education system.

If you have other priorities, I understand that. Social skills, other non-academic development, they all have value. But they come at the cost of inferior academic performance.

We don't have the best education system because we don't want it. We give our schools other priorities. You can't have it both ways.

You're heading down a very rocky road here, you know that don't you....

Incidently there is more than one way of doing democracy, and with stability built in.

What do you mean by results? And how are they measured in the Chinese system so international comparisons can take place?

The think I like about the Norway system is the way it focuses on children as individuals, not robotic learning machines. Attainment is still high and the Norwegian workforce is highly skilled and versatile.

PISA

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 22:15 ----------

You're heading down a very rocky road here, you know that don't you....

I'm not the amongst those on this thread (neither are you by the way) arguing against democracy.

Incidently there is more than one way of doing democracy, and with stability built in.

If policy is fixed you don't have democracy. But please enlighten me.