The consequence thread (Brexit)

Oh dear. Really. You're abandoning democracy quite casually here. You sure you want to live in a world where the same devious, sneaky goodfornothings are in charge decade after decade, rather than being able to kick them out every 5 years and replace them with a new set of devious sneaky goodfornothings.

It's obviously not a perfect solution, but it beats every conceivable alternative.

And that`s why I`m not accepting the referendum result in the same way I would a General Election. With the latter you can change it in 5 years, with leaving the EU, you can`t. I`m certain if the Leave campaign had lost they`d be demanding another referendum within 5 to 10 years. In fact Farage infamously said that on the evening of voting day when he thought he might have lost. Farage really is such an admirable character isn`t he.......

At the very least I want another referendum when the terms of any exit are finalised, thus people can vote on what they`re going to get, rather than what a load of liars have told a load of gullible people that they might get in cloud cuckoo land.

I think any that take up the offer should be stripped of their British nationality...

I absolutely agree, ungrateful swines.

You make them sound like traitors.

The biggest traitors some would argue are Johnson and Gove.

They would be traitors. We allow them to live hear and we pander to their left wing hippy beliefs. Imagine if this was a left wing country and we wanted to go around doing right wing stuff, we would be locked up immediately.

It's disgusting that these people can live in our country, if they want to be German, let them be, but they can't be both.

At the very least I want another referendum when the terms of any exit are finalised, thus people can vote on what they`re going to get, rather than what a load of liars have told a load of gullible people that they might get in cloud cuckoo land.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that - we need to enact Article 50 before we see what is on offer, and once we have enacted Article 50, there is no going back.

So the best thing to do is to not enact Article 50.

Not that we can without a new Act of Paliament anyway...

And that`s why I`m not accepting the referendum result in the same way I would a General Election. With the latter you can change it in 5 years, with leaving the EU, you can`t. I`m certain if the Leave campaign had lost they`d be demanding another referendum within 5 to 10 years. In fact Farage infamously said that on the evening of voting day when he thought he might have lost. Farage really is such an admirable character isn`t he.......

As it stands, it seems that we cannot agree the terms of the exit unit after we formally decide to leave (by invoking Article 50). However, once we formally decide to leave there's no turning back, so no window for a second referendum.

Edit. Oops, I didn't see Litotes post.

Edited by Eater Sundae

They lost a vote and they're spitting their dummies out?

They want to remember the old people they're so contemptuous of were fighting and getting blown to bits in war at their age, for this country and freedom, against the very Germans that they now want to join.

Well good luck to them. Frankly, if that's all such sacrifice means to them, then good riddance. Don't come back.

Apparently only 36% of "young people" voted in this referendum, and they've got the cheek to moan about the result!

---------- Post added 03-07-2016 at 08:52 ----------

typical envy from the spiteful working-class Tories that inhabit this Forum.

Just because they failed in life, they hate to see anybody else succeed.

What a bunch of sad, pathetic losers

I'm not a Tory, you've got that wrong.

An interesting development. Faced with a demographic crisis Brexit could offer a solution for the German economy:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-02/let-germany-offer-young-britons-citizenship-merkel-deputy-says

If the older British generations are willing to piddle the future of the young up the wall they might find that the youg decide to leave.

i'm pondering leaving

part of our work is going to rumania (it was going before brexit). the main reason for it going is that the company can't recruit the skilled staff it needs.

it seems very unlikely that sitation will now change, so i can see more work heading offshore. maybe i should offshore myself at the same time.....

I must be a traitor, I was born in the NGH while the Second World War was raging but I consider myself a European. Maybe it is because I am not interested in football and don't have any tribal alegience to anyone or thing. In the mid Fifties I went on a school trip to of all places Germany, imagine a group of young snotty nosed kids from one of the most deprived areas of Sheffied let loose in a land we had been fighting not many years before. Arriving full of trepidation I soon discovered that the enemy was just like us and surprise, surprise very friendly, a man heard us talking and came over talk to us proud of his English he had learnt as a prisoner of war near Birmingham thanking the Brits for being kind to him as a prisoner. Some years later a friend was working in a steel works and went on an exchange to one of the German steel works, his host in Germany came here. The next year my friend and I went back to Germany on a motorcycle meeting up with the host family and traveling further south on a great adventure meeting lots of wonderful friendly people, my love of travel, Europe and its people developed. Later I lived and worked all over, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Canada, Holland to name a few. I took full advantage of my ability to travel and work before we joined the EU and after, I must admit life for me was a lot easier after we joined. I think of myself not only a European but a global citizen.

Edited by Blackbeard
Pressed the wrong button.

I absolutely agree, ungrateful swines.

They would be traitors. We allow them to live hear and we pander to their left wing hippy beliefs. Imagine if this was a left wing country and we wanted to go around doing right wing stuff, we would be locked up immediately.

It's disgusting that these people can live in our country, if they want to be German, let them be, but they can't be both.

Our country is neither left or right wing. It seems to be roughly 50/50.

To be honest I'm pretty disgusted that our country has older generations that are completely self-serving and don't care about our young.

Just so many divisions now and all roughly 50/50. Left/right. Old/young. Pro-EU/anti-EU.

Problem is that after one close referendum one half think they exclusively own and run the shop. That will end in tears trust me.

To be honest I'm pretty disgusted that our country has older generations that are completely self-serving and don't care about our young.

i'm not sure that's quite right. the world today is far different to the one 20 years ago and the pace of change is increasing.

this can be quite disconcerting to older people who miss the seemingly more certain times of their youth.