The consequence thread (Brexit)

Just seen Phil Hammond on TV not sure we can get a good deal.

"Britain will look to hire foreign trade negotiators to help it meet the challenge of striking new trade deals with countries in Europe and beyond after last month's shock decision to leave the European Union, foreign minister Philip Hammond said.

"I don't think we can only recruit people who are British," Hammond told BBC television on Monday. "If we can find Australians, Americans who have got high-level skills in trade negotiation, let's recruit them as well."

He also said the government was taking steps to rehire former civil servants who have trade negotiating skills. Currently only a few of the 55 British officials in the European Commission's trade department actually work on trade deals.

Britain faces the task of renegotiating its relationship with the EU after voters decided on June 23 to leave the bloc. It also has to rework its trade ties with more than 50 other nations around the world which have agreements with the EU.

The European Commission negotiates trade deals on behalf of the EU member states meaning Britain has not had its own dedicated team of trade negotiators since it joined the bloc in 1973. "

http://www.reuters.com/article/britain-eu-trade-idUSL8N19Q13D

Bloody Australians and Americans, coming over here, taking our negotiating jobs...

Woah, been away in RL for the whole weekend, now come back, and it's like the Leave side got an extra elephant-grade dose of the parochials :o

Brit youth might emigrate to Germany for better opportunities and/or apply for German citizenship that makes them traitors? :|

UKIP Lord whats-his-face wants to use EU nationals as human shields in negotiations? :|

Some people want to take a really long look at themselves, and think on what the UK looks to be fast becoming.

Not sure what your preferred choice of media is but needless to say ...... don't believe the hype fella. There have been recessions, closures and job losses throughout Britain's period of membership of the EU, nothing to fear that's not been seen before, just a little extra work for some people negotiating new deals, no doubt some opportunities there too !

Not sure what your preferred choice of media is but needless to say ...... don't believe the hype fella. There have been recessions, closures and job losses throughout Britain's period of membership of the EU, nothing to fear that's not been seen before, just a little extra work for some people negotiating new deals, no doubt some opportunities there too !
That in reply to my earlier post, makes about as much sense as treacle I'm afraid :huh:

That UKIP Lord speech was reported in most mainstream broadsheets, so not sure where 'hype' comes in. As regards "using" EU nationals, even May is at it.

May and others are busy turning the UK's green, green grass into desiccated and trampled straw.

Do you know what happens, when smart mobile people with high-value transferrable skills are effectively getting hijacked as economic hostages?

They don't wait to find out what sauce politicians are going to cook them in, they pre-empt: eyeball the next green, green field, then up and leave in droves.

That's true of EU nationals just as much as of non-EU and Brit nationals.

Personally, these noises over the weekend have done nothing if not comfort me into speaking with more head hunters, and explore further opportunities on the Continent and West of here across the water.

The UK is busy setting itself up to experience the worst brain and skills drain in 4 decades. It can't afford that if it's going to make a go of it alone. Leave needs to stop that desiccation and trampling in one big hurry, and feed a ton or 10 of nitrogen to make its grass greenest of them all. As Leave looks to still be trying to find its economic a55 with both hands, then it could do worse than to take that as a beginning, or a page, of its plan.

Edited by L00b

Bloody Australians and Americans, coming over here, taking our negotiating jobs...

The Aussies could also work part time in pubs while there are here.

You can see the logic though, because both those countries have experience in negotiating good trade deals with the rest of the world.

Having said that any negotiations could start with ...

1. All EU citizens living in the UK before 23/06/16 can stay in the UK, in return for all UK citizens living in the EU before 23/06/16 being allowed to stay in that EU country.

2. The UK will allow all current EU Countries to sell goods and services to the UK tariff free in return for UK being allowed to do the same in all EU Countries tariff free, on the same basis they did before 23/06/16

The above might sound too simple, but that is because renegotiating trade deals should not be as complicated as we are being led to believe.

That in reply to my earlier post, makes about as much sense as treacle I'm afraid :huh:

That UKIP Lord speech was reported in most mainstream broadsheets, so not sure where 'hype' comes in. As regards "using" EU nationals, even May is at it.

May and others are busy turning the UK's green, green grass into desiccated and trampled straw.

Do you know what happens, when smart mobile people with high-value transferrable skills are effectively getting hijacked as economic hostages?

They don't wait to find out what sauce politicians are going to cook them in, they pre-empt: eyeball the next green, green field, then up and leave in droves.

That's true of EU nationals just as much as of non-EU and Brit nationals.

Personally, these noises over the weekend have done nothing if not comfort me into speaking with more head hunters, and explore further opportunities on the Continent and West of here across the water.

The UK is busy setting itself up to experience the worst brain and skills drain in 4 decades. It can't afford that if it's going to make a go of it alone. Leave needs to stop that desiccation and trampling in one big hurry, and feed a ton or 10 of nitrogen to make its grass greenest of them all. As Leave looks to still be trying to find its economic a55 with both hands, then it could do worse than to take that as a beginning, or a page, of its plan.

In simple terms, your doom and gloom watch snippets will make little or no difference to the average Brit, so keep on sneering through your imaginary crystal ball, because nobody cares ...... comprende :D

I think you`re getting your generations mixed up..... Hardly any people who voted in the referendum actually fought in WWII, they`d have to be over 95.

You`re also getting something else wrong. Many people who did have direct experience of WWII actually want the EU to succeed because it was originally started to try and stop future wars in Europe. There have been no were no wars in Europe in which EEC/EU members were involved since its formation. Rather different to how it was before.....

Actually my Dad is 90 and fought in the war. He was in both the Airforce, and transferred to the navy to finish the war in the far east.

The aftermath was something the baby boomers had to live through and it wasn't easy. Rationing didn't finish until well into the 1950s, and the rebuilding went on for years. Many BB were working at 15 in factories, and (in Sheffield) steelworks, and down mines. Not an easy way to make a living I assure you. Many continued to be engaged in politics in a way that doesn't happen now, fighting for a better world. Marching, meetings, voting and demonstrating was a regular thing. They didn't take their eye off the ball, and they didn't have it easy like some seem to think,

And they are heartbroken to see the things they fought for demolished by this government.

I agree there are plenty of old people who wanted to remain in the EU, which rather goes to show what a witch hunt this has become. Once again ordinary people turning against other ordinary people without thinking or proof. Generalisations are never particularly helpful. It's not a Labour vs Conservative, Old vs Young, or rich vs poor issue. Surely we should respect other people's point of view whatever way they voted and for whatever reasons.

As for coming out of the EU, let's remember it's very early days and this is going to take time. Personally, when the dust settles, I think we will all be in a better position to judge.

Edited by Anna B

Actually my Dad is 90 and fought in the war. He was in both the Airforce, and transferred to the navy to finish the war in the far east.

I agree there are plenty of old people who wanted to remain in the EU, which rather goes to show what a witch hunt this has become. Once again ordinary people turning against other ordinary people without thinking or proof. Generalisations are never particularly helpful. It's not a Labour vs Conservative, Old vs Young, or rich vs poor issue. Surely we should respect other people's point of view whatever way they voted and for whatever reasons.

As for coming out of the EU, let's remember it's very early days and this is going to take time. Personally, when the dust settles, I think we will all be in a better position to judge.

A very sensible post.

The aftermath was something the baby boomers had to live through and it wasn't easy. Rationing didn't finish until well into the 1950s, and the rebuilding went on for years. Many BB were working at 15 in factories, and (in Sheffield) steelworks, and down mines. Not an easy way to make a living I assure you. Many continued to be engaged in politics in a way that doesn't happen now, fighting for a better world. Marching, meetings, voting and demonstrating was a regular thing. They didn't take their eye off the ball, and they didn't have it easy like some seem to think,

And they are heartbroken to see the things they fought for demolished by this government.

Lets turn this on its head shall we.

The demographics show that the majority of those over the age of 45 voted in favour of leaving, but now you say we should not generalise those generations as some also voted to remain. However we are generalising the whole country's opinion on leaving the EU based on a slim majority. As a remain supporter I need to "suck it up" according to some, my view is not represented, but if you question the generations that voted to leave, it's wrong to generalise them.

Edited by Berberis

So, day 11 of the consequences:

• Tories civil war, party leaderless
  • Labour civil war, party arguably leaderless
  • UKIP, essentially silent, now leaderless
  • LibDems, muted and fighting a pro-Remain rearguard action
  • Johnson and Farage, the Leave figureheads, have reneged campaign promises and done a runner
  • Prime Minister is working his notice
  • No Article 50 instrument deposited
  • FTSE & currency riding rollercoasters
  • Scotland talking of secession like it's 2014 again
  • Unprecedented record numbers in NI applying for Irish passport
  • statistically-significant increases in racist and xenophobic hate crimes
  • EU27 leaders growing increasingly fed up waiting for the UK to do 'something'

Anything I have missed?