The consequence thread (Brexit)

The shake up, wake up call many of us in the UK wanted to happen, dust off the propaganda, hype and exaggeration and it's happy days, the EU is welcome to the doom and gloomers, there is plenty to be concerned about there, treat yourselves ;)
Can I ask for that again, in somewhat plainer or clearer terms, please? Looks like a stream of consciousness :confused:

What about it? Do you think you can trust the EU, a Conservative government, or even a Bliarite one on TTIP?

The French have vetoed it

It ain't happening in the EU now

Leaving us wide open to sign an even worse deal

With the Muricans :mad:

<...>

Do you know what happens, when smart mobile people with high-value transferrable skills are effectively getting hijacked as economic hostages?

They don't wait to find out what sauce politicians are going to cook them in, they pre-empt: eyeball the next green, green field, then up and leave in droves.

<...>

The UK is busy setting itself up to experience the worst brain and skills drain in 4 decades.

Starting as expected.

When asked if the NHS is struggling to recruit European staff following the referendum, Professor Jane Dacre, president of the Royal College of Physicians, said:

Anecdotally yes. There is a lot of chatter about around EU doctors that feel uncomfortable continuing to be here and are not applying for posts in the UK.

In relation the medical workforce this is on top of a history of increasing number of trainee doctors applying to go and work in other countries, particularly in Australia. So this adds to the concern that there has been over the last six months.

– Professor Jane Dacre, Royal College of Physicians

Stephen Dalton, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, added: "On the EU workforce that is already here, there is concern amongst that workforce as to what will happen after Article 50 is triggered and what happens two years on. People are planning their futures and thinking about where they want to be in two years' time and three years' time and they won't wait to find out.

That said, I distinctly recall several on here bemoaning the fact that the NHS was draining foreign countries of their skilled medical practitioners. So those posters should be happy at this news.

Great, everybody wins :thumbsup::twisted:

Can I just remind people why we voted to leave the EU.

Undemocratic - nobody voted for those in charge, nobody can remove them, nobody votes on what is discussed. and acted upon

Unreformable - Singularly refuses to change even though most agree it's crying out for it. Politicians have tried, politicians have failed. Even David Cameron, when the stakes were highest, came back with next to nothing.

A Failing institution - The EU has tremendous difficulties ahead because of the Euro, the crash and failure to address some basic problems (see above.) Greece, Spain, Italy and France are all in serious trouble and may well need bailing out in the not too distant future.

Corrupt - Money unaccounted for, it has not been successfully audited for years, Excessive amounts of money 'spent' on pet projects. Move to Strasbourg every month alone costs 250 million, yes, every month! That's our money.

Gravy train - Huge expences, Only the best is good enough for these guys, Massive pay for some, happy graveyard of unsuccessful politicians.

Bureaucratic nightmare - Hours and hours spent haggling over details while the rest of the world moves on without them. Reams and reams of paper about not very much at all. The bigger it gets the harder it will be to get people to agree.

Control over our borders - This is not saying we don't want people coming, we will happily make them welcome. But we want the right to keep control, and turn away undesirables. We live in a dangerous world, why ask for trouble?

Trade - There are new and emerging markets everywhere that we can do business with, including a massive Commonwealth family right across the Globe, that we already have good relations with.

Things are scary, change always is, of course people are worried. This is being encouraged by those in charge of government and media etc who are seriously <removed> not to have got their way. It's a new experience for them...

It probably will get worse before it gets better. But none of the above reasons for leaving have gone away. We need to stick together, and support each other, especially those in the first round of casualties. We can do it.

Well said.The second time I agree entirely with Anna B.

NEWSFLASH: Aviva, the savings and investment group, has suspended redemptions from its £1.8bn property fund.

It took the decision following the Brexit vote, which triggered a surge of requests from investors to pull their money out of its UK Property Trust.

That’s because the EU referendum could hurt the property sector, driving down the value of office blocks, supermarkets and factories.

Aviva blamed “extraordinary market circumstances”, a day after Standard Life became the first firm to freeze its property fund.

An Aviva spokesperson said:

“We have acted to safeguard the interests of all our investors by suspending dealing in the fund with immediate effect.

“Suspension of dealing will give Aviva Investors greater control in managing cashflows and conducting orderly asset sales in order to meet our obligations to investors wishing to redeem their holdings.”

Laith Khalaf, senior analyst at City firm Hargreaves Lansdown, reckons more investment firms will freeze redemptions soon.

‘The dominos are starting to fall in the UK commercial property market, as yet another fund locks its doors on the back of outflows precipitated by the Brexit vote. It’s probably only a matter of time before we see other funds follow suit.

Can

Trade - There are new and emerging markets everywhere that we can do business with, including a massive Commonwealth family right across the Globe, that we already have good relations with.

With regards to trade, speaking as an business owner / entrepreneur, I find the idea that British businessmen are not already doing their utmost to sell to countries outside the EU to be absolutely laughable. It shows a complete lack of knowledge about the way entrepreneurs think and work. They almost all sell to anywhere they can. They`re not all sat there thinking, oh we`re in the EU we`ll only sell to people in the EU, they`re already trying their utmost to sell outside the EU. All it`ll mean (if we lose easy access to the EU market) is less business, less wealth, fewer jobs etc etc

Things are scary, change always is, of course people are worried. This is being encouraged by those in charge of government and media etc who are seriously <removed> not to have got their way. It's a new experience for them...

It probably will get worse before it gets better. But none of the above reasons for leaving have gone away. We need to stick together, and support each other, especially those in the first round of casualties. We can do it.

I want to remain an EU citizen. How do you propose supporting me in that ? As I see it that has been removed from me (or probably will be) without my consent and I`m NOT going to be happy about it. No amount of platitudes are going to make any difference to how angry I am. And what makes it even worse is it was done after a relatively close election after the most dishonest campaign I can ever remember. I know a significant number of those who voted leave already rather wish they hadn`t. And that`s before we even find out that we can`t have most the things the Leave campaign promised us. Sorry not us, I never believed most of the things they said, but, unfortunately, there are a lot of gullible people out there.

Edited by Justin Smith

Can I just remind people why we voted to leave the EU.

Undemocratic - nobody voted for those in charge, nobody can remove them, nobody votes on what is discussed. and acted upon

This claim is utter BS. I assume you are referring to the EU commissioners as the MEP's are elected by us. The EU commissioners are elected by the MEP's and draw up legislation, not unlike our Civil Servants. Their recommendations are then presented to the MEP's who vote on whether or not to implement them.

This claim is utter BS. I assume you are referring to the EU commissioners as the MEP's are elected by us. The EU commissioners are elected by the MEP's and draw up legislation, not unlike our Civil Servants. Their recommendations are then presented to the MEP's who vote on whether or not to implement them.

I feel you're wasting your time....people had their ideas fed to them by the media over a period of years....lots of them never bothered to check any facts..they aren't going to change now the referendum has happened..