The consequence thread (Brexit)

Shame the pound isn't underpinned by the gold standard any more...

Tim, have you heard which extremely pro-Brexit newspaper owns part of the company financing MdR to challenge the government to pass an act of Parliament and stop the PM triggering Article 50 with prerogative powers?

Tis amusing.

Very interesting but what was the vision for future generations from a leave team that made a virtue of having no plan whatsoever. Immigration was the main issue. We all know it so let's stop pretending.

Do you see the problem?

Of course it was immigration. I wondered how long it would be before people realised how bad and ignorant it would make them appear before claiming that it was "Sovereignty" or " lack of democratic accountability" as the reason they voted Leave rather than "immigration" . Give it a couple of years and hardly anyone will admit to have voted Leave. In my neck of the woods 70% voted Leave and I can tell you it was almost always about immigration.

As it happens here's one older voter who voted Remain, we're not all two sandwiches short of a picnic

I am retired but most of my work was with European research groups.

"European academic bodies are pulling back from research collaboration with UK academics, amid post-Brexit uncertainty about the future of UK higher education.

While post-Brexit Britain might remain inside the European research funding system, academics in other countries are nervous about collaborating with UK institutions.

UK-based academics are being asked to withdraw their applications for future funding by European partners.

BBC Newsnight is aware of concerns raised by academics at Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter and Durham.

Chris Husbands, the vice-chancellor at Sheffield Hallam, says that his researchers are already seeing significant effects."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-36719923

Very interesting but what was the vision for future generations from a leave team that made a virtue of having no plan whatsoever. Immigration was the main issue. We all know it so let's stop pretending.

Do you see the problem?

Of course it was immigration. I wondered how long it would be before people realised how bad and ignorant it would make them appear before claiming that it was "Sovereignty" or " lack of democratic accountability" as the reason they voted Leave rather than "immigration" . Give it a couple of years and hardly anyone will admit to have voted Leave. In my neck of the woods 70% voted Leave and I can tell you it was almost always about immigration.

As it happens here's one older voter who voted Remain, we're not all two sandwiches short of a picnic

There are probably a lot of people who did vote out because of immigration. So?

People will vote on that if it concerns them. Non of the debates made any sense so most people will have decided before then (or voted with their spouse/family/or political affinity)

Perhaps if Blair hadn't made huge changes in 2004, then if Cameron kept his promises then people on both sides would have voted differently? In fact I think the same as I always write, I blame Blair in the first place. I think if not for him, there would never been the need to even suggest a ref. We pay these people to make big decisions.

And as I've said since posting in the ref debates, I've pointed out the nastiness of this new 'self promoted remain elite'. Comments like the last one here by you Ridge is as bad as every other I've seen in here so far. As bad if not worse than racism/bigotry - judging everyone on a few

To suggest that older people who voted out are sandwiches short of a picnic is both incorrect, and highly insulting.

Young people in general voted in.

Older people in general voted out.

When it comes to age, who do you think has more experience of political and economics of life?

-

as an aside to use your analogy, and judging...

I had some students in the car pre-ref, and when chatting about it, one said 'I'm going to France soon, and I've heard that roaming charges will be much higher' :hihi:

Ironically they'll probably be like the audience members on QT who said they voted in in the 70s and now voting out (and bear in mind racism was at it's height in the 60s and 70s)

If Spain's tourism is jeopardised by the EU punishing us/or Spain punishing us, then YOU'LL see what happens when people's livings are put into turmoil. If our great relations and trade with France or Germany is jeopardised by EU punishing us, etc. same. Won't happen. No politician will risk their economy and workforce for the EU.

My vote and my opinion is the same as I wrote pre-debates:

06/03/2016

I think UK will vote to stay in, though it might be close. I will vote out because I think the EU is finished, I doubt it will last much longer, and I think we will be better off out when it fails

I am retired but most of my work was with European research groups.

"European academic bodies are pulling back from research collaboration with UK academics, amid post-Brexit uncertainty about the future of UK higher education.

While post-Brexit Britain might remain inside the European research funding system, academics in other countries are nervous about collaborating with UK institutions.

UK-based academics are being asked to withdraw their applications for future funding by European partners.

BBC Newsnight is aware of concerns raised by academics at Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge, Exeter and Durham.

Chris Husbands, the vice-chancellor at Sheffield Hallam, says that his researchers are already seeing significant effects."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-36719923

Extended feature on Newsnight just now from Sheffield filmed at both Universities and also an interview with Keith Ridgway out at the AMRC where he mentions how many local small businesses depend on the EU research income coming in to group . In other part of the University I've already heard of EU research students in tears not knowing if they will be here to finish their studies.

This morning the continuing fall in the pound means that the UK moves from 5th to 6th largest economy. France is now 5th.

This WILL mean fuel prices will go up and the cost of gas and electricity will also go up. Oil is sold in dollars and the cost of gas is pegged to the price of oil. This all then has a knock on effect of pushing up inflation as the price of goods increases.

Edited by Berberis

This WILL mean petrol prices will go up and the cost of gas and electricity will also go up. Oil is sold in dollars and the cost of gas is pegged to the price of oil. This all then has a knock on effect of pushing up inflation as the price of goods increases.

We have had deflation in food prices for quite some months, may be due to reverse?