The consequence thread (Brexit)

Since obesity is the biggest single drain on the NHS I would have though that higher food prices a good thing as it may limit that somewhat.

Thats a misunderstanding. Good food prices go up but bad food prices are kept low by reducing the quality of the ingredients, which in turn leaves people feeling hungry due to the lack of nutrition. It's a vicious circle.

There's been a steady four month rise in petrol prices, I think another rise is inevitable and not necessarily the blame of Brexit.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3673981/Petrol-prices-nudge-higher-fourth-month-row-June.html

correct, but denying there is any negative influence from Brexit on the fuel-price in the coming months is pretty daft. There is no nice binary right or wrong in this. It is a complex jigsaw and the cheap pound is going to be felt by people, whether in the price of petrol, the price of food or the price of electronics.

Fuel has been cheap for a fair while now but when it went down did we see a price decrease in commodities?

By reading this released only this morning it seems that far from rising the price of oil is dropping and set to drop even further.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/oil-prices-continue-to-tumble-on-concerns-over-global-growth-prospects-1467801562

Oil may be traded in the $ but most of our food that is imported from Europe and elsewhere is not. If food prices rise then that is a good thing as its been far too cheap for a long time because of being in the EU and the subsidies that enabled it to be sold cheap.

Just to add..

The cost at the pumps reached a high in April 2012 @ 142.2ppl. In January 2015 it was still higher than now @ 113.8ppl. Average cost today 112.58ppl.

Sorry, going technical here. The oil-price is indeed pinned to USD, but if the GBP keeps giving way to the USD than it is irrelevant whether the barrel price drops, the UK imports a large quantity of fuel (15% of processed fuel) from abroad. That is enough to negate the dropping /barrel price through a weak pound.

The GBP/USD has long been seen as a stable and safe gateway for Forex traders (The Cable) but in the past years that stability has been giving way to the connection between the two biggest trading currencies, the USD and EUR.

Bearish predictions for the QUARTER (Which is the majority) from Brexit onwards have already been breached a WEEK in. They expected that to be the MONTH bottom-line with the GBP stabilising the months after (until Article 50 was called, most don't want to speculate ahead of that).

To put that in simple terms - the most negative forecasters thought that the GBP/USD rate would land at around 1.29/1.28 by September. This means that the outlook for the GBP is now worse than what forecasters predicted. Markets have been taking money by putting short on the pound (brave souls on 1.30), now the big question is - what is the next bottom-line? (increasingly sounds of 1.10 - 1.30)

That is a pretty big crash and burn and if Carney doesn't manage to stabilise things soon (which will only be achieved by political certainty on what Brexit will be) the UK is going to see import prices rice up pretty sharply. The Pound now buys about 16 eurocents less than it did on the 23rd of June (admittedly that was an inflated price, but realistically it is fair to say that long term the Pound has lost at least 10 eurocents to the Euro.) that is a big hit to take for importers, too big, so they will have to raise prices.

Since obesity is the biggest single drain on the NHS I would have though that higher food prices a good thing as it may limit that somewhat.

But I'm thin and I like fresh vegetables,how much will I be paying for a salad for dinner,5/10/15/20 pounds?

There are two types of diesel in the UK and only one is allowed to be used on the roads, so you have no choice but to pay.

But both do get used on the roads. Anyway you can easily filter Cherry diesel so it dosnt show up if your dipped .

---------- Post added 06-07-2016 at 15:48 ----------

it is weird how the price of cooking oil seem to match the price of diesel

Whos on about cooking oil ? ;)

But both do get used on the roads. Anyway you can easily filter Cherry diesel so it dosnt show up if your dipped .

---------- Post added 06-07-2016 at 15:48 ----------

Whos on about cooking oil ? ;)

Are you openly boasting about using red diesel illegally on a public forum?

Where did i say i have used it. ?

I simply said you can easily filter the cherry out so it dosnt show up in tests.

And how might you know that?

---------- Post added 06-07-2016 at 15:57 ----------

I might have to start using a " different" sort of diesel then if the price goes up.

Implies you are to me...

Not that I care what you do. I just wouldn't brag about it.

Edited by Radan

Thats a misunderstanding. Good food prices go up but bad food prices are kept low by reducing the quality of the ingredients, which in turn leaves people feeling hungry due to the lack of nutrition. It's a vicious circle.

But there is no such thing as bad food or good food prices when it comes to obesity, only a bad diet.

The government want to use a sugar tax to help stop obesity as they know as in other cases hitting the wallet works. Is sugar a bad food?

Edited by apelike

But there is no such thing as bad food or good food prices when it comes to obesity, only a bad diet.

The government want to use a sugar tax to help stop obesity as they know as in other cases hitting the wallet works. Is sugar a bad food?

Why are you linking food prices to obesity then?

Sugar is not a bad food, but like all foods it needs to be moderated. Just try to remove sugar from your diet and see how hard it is.

Refined sugar is not natural and by extracting it and adding more than any natural source would ever have makes people fat.

There is some nutritional benefit to most foods, but the overall intake of vitamins etc can be reduced if you eat junk food. This in part is why people feel hungry soon after eating junk food. Not only is there low nutritional value to the food, they usually contain high levels of sodium and sugars. One to amplify the little flavour there is and the other to make it sweet.