The consequence thread (Brexit)

---------- Post added 07-07-2016 at 20:56 ----------

So the way to fix this is to kill economic growth, drive jobs offshore and then reduce opportunities for economic migration?

This is insanity.

What economic growth? Even with QE nothing much has happened and the economic growth forecast was downgraded by this very government a while back.

Not sure why it would suddenly drive jobs offshore, I only know that many UK companies had already done that such as BT, Dyson etc.

As for economic migration. Most of the migrants that have come to the UK have done so because it is far better working here as cheap labour than staying at home. It would be interesting to know just how many are here without a job and claiming unemployment as that also adds to the unemployment stats.

Edited by apelike

What economic growth? Even with QE nothing much has happened and the economic growth forecast was downgraded by this very government a while back.

Not sure why it would suddenly drive jobs offshore, I only know that many UK companies had already done that such as BT, Dyson etc.

As for economic migration. Most of the migrants that have come to the UK have done so because it is far better working here as cheap labour than staying at home. It would be interesting to know just how many are here without a job and claiming unemployment as that also adds to the unemployment stats.

This makes interesting reading, though it's from last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu

Since there are around 1.2 million British born people living in another EU country, 30,000 is quite a small percentage of 1.2 million

True. But the figures for those seeking JSA in the UK from the EU are probably lower than many Brexiters would think.

True. But the figures for those seeking JSA in the UK from the EU are probably lower than many Brexiters would think.

They are non-existent. Anybody who thinks it is a joy to live off JSA or benefits in this country should look up the standard of living here on benefits and that of... most EU countries.

I appreciate Apelike thinks he did the right thing, I don't appreciate the fact that he downplays what immigrants have done for this economy over the years. I repeat my question, again, have immigrants to the UK meant a slow-down in the economy and the employment figures, or did it mean the opposite? I repeat, again, that Cameron moaned and twisted and stated that he wanted to bring immigration down to 100K and yet, ad infinitum, let in more non-EEA migrants than that 100K figure alone.

Answer that Apelike, with a coherent reply, and I will start to understand what you mean, until then, stay out of the discussion.

Answer that Apelike, with a coherent reply, and I will start to understand what you mean, until then, stay out of the discussion.
With respect, tzijlstra, there's no need for that :|

But on the discussion point, hell yes, I'd sooner be on unemployment benefits in France that in the UK, any day of the week. 60% of average daily salary of the last 12 months preceding unemployment, max of €6,900 (per month, if you were on €12k-ish pm), reducing gradually over time (months or years to get down to the basic €500 pm).

The UK's JSA at £57-odd (or is or £75-odd) looks like threepence into a beggar's bowl by comparison.

...Then again, we can all see where that led France's own public finances.

Edited by L00b

But on the discussion point, hell yes, I'd sooner be on unemployment benefits in France that in the UK, any day of the week. For starters, it's paid in the amount of your last salary for a few months, then gradually reduces. Takes about 2 years to get to half-salary IIRC, longer to get to the basic amount. The UK's JSA at £57-odd (or is or £75-odd) looks like threepence into a beggar's bowl by comparison.

...Then again, we can all see where that led their own public finances.

Getting to half salary(or less) in 6 months might work well, in the UK.

Getting to half salary(or less) in 6 months might work well, in the UK.
Sorry El Cid, I re-checked for accuracy (was posting from memory) and edited.

Still, it's a damn better "safety cushion" than dropped straight onto JSA. It is also contributions-based (unlike the UK), so this explains that.

With respect, tzijlstra, there's no need for that :|

But on the discussion point, hell yes, I'd sooner be on unemployment benefits in France that in the UK, any day of the week. 60% of average daily salary of the last 12 months preceding unemployment, max of €6,900 (per month, if you were on €12k-ish pm), reducing gradually over time (months or years to get down to the basic €500 pm).

The UK's JSA at £57-odd (or is or £75-odd) looks like threepence into a beggar's bowl by comparison.

...Then again, we can all see where that led France's own public finances.

There might not be, but when people go claiming immigration isn't linked to general unemployment levels, there is. I am, frankly, pigsick of numpties equating the Roma in Pagehall (who, according to themselves don't claim benefits either) with hard working, contributing immigrants as a justification for Brexit. My pension is going down the drain, my wife's is and that of most people that actually worked and contributed (British or not) is. But hey ho, we got rid of the immigrants.

It is a pathetic line of thought that deserves all the scorn it gets.

I appreciate Apelike thinks he did the right thing, I don't appreciate the fact that he downplays what immigrants have done for this economy over the years.

I have not downplayed it as you make out.

I repeat my question, again, have immigrants to the UK meant a slow-down in the economy and the employment figures, or did it mean the opposite?

Remind me.. where did you post that question?

I repeat, again, that Cameron moaned and twisted and stated that he wanted to bring immigration down to 100K and yet, ad infinitum, let in more non-EEA migrants than that 100K figure alone.

There is no need to repeat it as I already know he did.

Sorry to disappoint you but I will keep posting and also point out again, as you seem to have ignored it, that the UK youth unemployment is not as low as you like to believe it is. :)

---------- Post added 07-07-2016 at 23:27 ----------

I am, frankly, pigsick of numpties equating the Roma in Pagehall (who, according to themselves don't claim benefits either) with hard working, contributing immigrants as a justification for Brexit. My pension is going down the drain, my wife's is and that of most people that actually worked and contributed (British or not) is. But hey ho, we got rid of the immigrants.

It is a pathetic line of thought that deserves all the scorn it gets.

Just to point out, although I have already stated this on another thread, that I did not get taken in by the lies peddled on both sides or by the immigration issue. I do not buy newspapers or watch TV and made my mind up because of the inevitable impending collapse of the EU and being out of it will lessen the impact. Now that is my doom and gloom scenario. ;)