The consequence thread (Brexit)

How do you think the tariffs would not be lopsided to our disadvantage when we import more than we export and our market is 64 million people while the the EUs (for comparison) is 678.4million, 10 times larger.

The UK is taking itself out of the 3rd largest market, behind China and India, so notably the largest market per capita, and turning itself into the 21st largest market. What makes you think we would have MORE market power?

Just in the same way that a lower value of sterling can be a good thing for UK manufacturing, because it makes imported goods more expensive than UK goods.

Are we talking philosophy now? Solipism? You are a figment of my imagination, in which case I'm arguing with myself.

Whether you are or are not a figment of my imagination, can you actually answer the questions I asked?

Why would you buy Krugerrand's in preference to Britannia's? Do you like paying CGT or something?

Krugerrands are easier to liquidate internationally than Brittanias!.........also there is concern that the CGT advantage enjoyed in the UK by Britannia's and Sovereigns,may not last in the future especially as people are piling into gold coins.The government have been taking a long look at this situation well before Brexit.

Just in the same way that a lower value of sterling can be a good thing for UK manufacturing, because it makes imported goods more expensive than UK goods.

What about UK goods that are manufactured from imported materials..?

Well I rang the stock broker and took advice. Sell M&S, buy oil and gold. So I bought a job lot of Krugerrands and shares in Royal Dutch. Very pretty things these Krugerrands. I think I'm making the best of where we find ourselves. I do believe the gold was a good tip.

You've got a really bad advisor. You will be paying tax on those shiny things. You really should have been buying sovereigns. I can see your vast investment knowledge though will surface shortly and you tell me why not...

Can you name some goods that are currently manufactured in both the UK and abroad which this will affect?

What about UK goods that are manufactured from imported materials..?

It would encourage the use of UK coal, and many other things.

This is a import tax, that goes to Goverment; they can pay off our debt with it, give us all a tax cut or reduce corporation tax and make UK companies more competitive.

---------- Post added 08-07-2016 at 11:02 ----------

Can you name some goods that are currently manufactured in both the UK and abroad which this will affect?

Britain STILL depends on coal for 40% of its electricity - but now it is making Russian mine owners hugely rich, not the UK.

It would encourage the use of UK coal, and many other things.

This is a import tax, that goes to Goverment; they can pay off our debt with it, give us all a tax cut or reduce corporation tax and make UK companies more competitive.

You didn't really answer the question..how will a low pound make UK goods made from imported "ingredients" cheaper?

You didn't really answer the question..how will a low pound make UK goods made from imported "ingredients" cheaper?

I am not saying a low value for sterling is good or bad, it will make imports more expensive.

Many things can be made in any country, where we choose to raise revenue is up to our Government, if they raise money from a 3% import tax they can lower tax elsewhere. So it has no effect overall.

We raise millions from green taxes, what better greet tax than discouraging products traveling thousands of miles?

Raise import taxes and lower green taxes?

His argument was rather strong truman, clearly Britain is going to open up the coal mines, produce coal at a cost-price lower than that of Russia and therefore become a rich and wealthy nation.

I do wonder which poor folk are going to be mining coal for under two pounds an hour, but I am sure El Cid can answer that.

I am not a supporter of free trade, I think having tariffs is a good way to raise revenue.

When people say, 'if would be more damaging to the EU' what they mean is that we have a trade imbalance and its not good for the UK economy.

So tariffs would favour the UK. Go for it, lets have tariffs :)

Absolutely spot on. The UK imports £500 billion in goods each year. A 10% tariff on some of that would bring in fantastic revenue. As we export 30-35% less we have the advantage in a tariff war.

Wouldn't it be good if some of our imports became too expensive and UK manufacturers took up the slack. UK cars instead of Volkswagens. Made from UK steel of course.