The consequence thread (Brexit)

Actually I take financial advice from financial advisors, and not googlistas. When gold has put on $50 in a morning one buys what is simple to get hold of. CGT is only a problem if you need to sell a load of KRs for cash in the UK all at the same time and have no allowable losses that you can use to offset. Look it up on Google.

With your "knowledge" of the stock market and coinage one hopes that you do take financial advice. Just remember that a stockbroker is not necessarily really an IFA....

---------- Post added 08-07-2016 at 11:23 ----------

I'm sure you realise we never actually stopped building cars for there to be a last time.

I'm sure you know what was meant or are you choosing to be deliberately obtuse? Seen any Morris plants recently? Hillman? Triumph cars?

[quote=Obelix;11438163

Yes we ceded it to such an extent it was impossible to assert it and leave the club.... :roll:

What a cynical response that is, that wilfully ignores the point.

Yes we thankfully still had the right to leave (but don't surprised if after the next EU treaty member states will require permission to have an in/out referendum) but as you know, member states had to cede sovereignty on an ever increasing list of matters. A Europe wide legal system and army is in the pipeline. You'll see. And You'll be glad we left.

Edited by Guest

That would be because it's a non-point. Companies will do whatever they have to do to stay alive and compete. If it means shedding jobs, the way their employees voted won't matter one bit. What the jobs and employees are worth to the company individually, absolutely will.

If two people have fairly equal value and skills for a company and they voted both ways, then given the posts from the 'intellectual supreme' on this site seem to suggest they would out the OUT!

(Someone even wrote that on my facebook page! :hihi:)

How many thousands of posts on here have said, 'this is finished, you voted for that'. 'When this happens, it's your fault, you voted for that'. It's like a schoolyard*. It's too early days - I wrote myself that if Brexit wins, the markets will crash initially (though the result shocked me as much as anyone) - the talk on the radio and TV that HSBC is pulling out of UK etc. is all just negative rubbish. They'll plan ahead (including that possibility) but not uproot spending billions to do it, until they see if we come out of this well or not. As will other countries in the EU.

*If the thick on here (me of course) go back and search through all my anti-Labour posts from years ago, particularly aimed at Blair (who has always been my favourite subject for rants!) I could join in on this schoolyard nonsense, and say that all who voted for Blair in 2005 (30-40% of turnout) voted to kill 000's of people. They voted for it after all (the added difference being that they voted WITH the knowledge after the last term).

I am merely arguing for a 5% tax, it would benefit home made goods to the value of 5%

No it wouldn't. All it will do is raise prices 5%.

Tarrifs are a tax on the captive population of the consumers of the raw materials.

I am merely arguing for a 5% tax, it would benefit home made goods to the value of 5%

No you weren't, you stated quite categorically that the UK could produce its own coal. A 5% tax (you mean tariff) doesn't do anything for Britain other than make goods sold in this country 5% more expensive.

Look around you, right now, and tell me which products in the room you are in are actually 100% made in Britain, including the whole supply chain, from the tree in the forest to the ore in the ground.

It is a dreadful illusion you are promulgating here.

What a cynical response that is, that wilfully ignores the point.

Yes we thankfully still had the right to leave (but don't surprised if after the next EU treaty member states will require permission to have an in/out referendum) but as you know, member states had to cede sovereignty on an ever increasing list of matters. A Europe wide legal system and army is in the pipeline. You'll see. And You'll be glad we left.

I don't think I will.

And it doesn't miss the point. What democracy had we ceded? What sovereignty had we lost? Please don't tell me you believed the crap that Gove and Farage and Boris were spouting?

I don't think I will.

And it doesn't miss the point. What democracy had we ceded? What sovereignty had we lost? Please don't tell me you believed the crap that Gove and Farage and Boris were spouting?

We, as all member states do, "voluntarily" (I use quotation marks for that word because they was no mandate for it whatsoever) transfer powers from Westminster to Brussels/Strasburg, so we merely participate in decision making with 27 other member states on matters that affect this country. We had to seek agreement from them to remove VAT on sanitary products for instance. This won't doodle do for me.

You're ignoring the cost of materials used to make the goods in the UK ,most of which we import...

What do you estimate to be the cost of imported materials required to manufacture a £30,000 Toyota?