The consequence thread (Brexit)

The Uk government was working with the EU on ways to reduce or remove these charges. It was under review.

Well I'd rather a British government makes a tax decision in Britain without having to ask Romania what they think about it!

---------- Post added 08-07-2016 at 11:48 ----------

Let me pick your toys up for you....

Have you seen just how the EU reached out? So you think it's perfectly acceptable to throw everyone out because perhaps 2% of the population never had the benefit of the EU?

Oh noes, it only cures 98% of cancer? Right - no one gets it then it's clearly not working...

98% of the population eh? no wonder the remain camp romped to victory.....oh wait!

:hihi:

Well I'd rather a British government makes a tax decision in Britain without having to ask Romania what they think about it!

---------- Post added 08-07-2016 at 11:48 ----------

98% of the population eh? no wonder the remain camp romped to victory.....oh wait!

:hihi:

You see I'd rather play the game that everyone wants to play, rather than pouting, shouting "wont play anymore" and then taking the ball home with me to spite them....

A lot of ifs here, it's really looking like you'd want this to happen to vindicate altus' nonsensical premise.

No, I'm pointing out that people on here want the country to fail to vindicate their 'remain intellectual supreme', that have sprouted up in here! Same as when the Tories won the last elections. I've been reading some of them in here.

As for Tim's and Berberis posts about the banking experts, I think this is the funniest of the lot. If you google banker hatred, this forum will come up top of the list.

This is a genuine question, not a dig: have you ever run a business with employees?

A company discriminating between job holders for redundancy selection on the basis of their vote (which the company is not entitled to know or ask about under current UK employment law and ACAS guidelines to begin with, under any stretches of meaning) would find itself carted before an Employment tribunal for constructive dismissal quicker than you can say "no win no fee".

The idea that a company would sack Leavers over Remainers is a nonsensical trial of intentions based on nothing other than prejudice. Meanwhile, in the real world, companies keep the most indispensable/best for last, according to objective criteria: competence, qualifications, experience, skills, time on job, profitability <etc.>

We'll have to see. I think the modern world is nonsense, no change here from me (especially with regards to social media).

No I haven't had employees, I've been self-employed on and off for last 16 years.

-

I expect the next round for these posters is when the next migration figures come out, and they'll be ready for each possibility:

Figures go up - ha, you voted for this, and as expected, more people here

Figures go down - ha, well done, the country is crippled and employment numbers down, you voted for this.

No, I'm pointing out that people on here want the country to fail to vindicate their 'remain intellectual supreme', that have sprouted up in here! Same as when the Tories won the last elections. I've been reading some of them in here.

As for Tim's and Berberis posts about the banking experts, I think this is the funniest of the lot. If you google banker hatred, this forum will come up top of the list.

Oh for sure. The abuse I've had from here along with credible threats of violence for being involved with investment banking is quite ludicrous. It's one of the reasons I left for Leeds and now Frankfurt.

We import more than half of our food, is that a good thing?

I dont think so.

If a 5% perk would not mean UK goods were sold, then so be it.

This is about where our Government raises revenue, is it better that it raises money from imported goods, or should they keep taxing income and earnings?

My Osborne is cutting Corperation tax, where should he raise money from, earnings, all goods, childrens goods, high value goods, unhealthy goods and companies?

You are still promulgating a naive view. Have you considered why half the foodstuffs are important? Is it perhaps to do with the fact that most of the food we eat these days can't be grown here? Are you going to sell Joe Bloggs on the idea that he can't have his Curry on Friday-night and has to have fish and chips, every week? That he is back to a diet of taters and veg without rice, most spices, 'exotic' fruits like tangerines and lemons?

Taxing imports is going to make most 'essentials' on the list used to measure inflation more expensive. Shoes, clothes, electronics, food, fuel... It really isn't hard to see why that is a problem, is it? Add to that the value of the pound, the budget deficit of 4,4% (as things stood before Brexit) and it becomes an ugly economical picture.

---------- Post added 08-07-2016 at 12:19 ----------

I expect the next round for these posters is when the next migration figures come out, and they'll be ready for each possibility:

Figures go up - ha, you voted for this, and as expected, more people here

Figures go down - ha, well done, the country is crippled and employment numbers down, you voted for this.

That is because both outcomes were entirely predictable as a consequence of Brexit. You can check my post history going back years. It isn't rocket science, it is adding 2 and 2 up. If immigration goes down it is because the economy crashed and jobs dried up.

A lot of ifs here, it's really looking like you'd want this to happen to vindicate altus' nonsensical premise.

I should perhaps point out I made a flippant suggestion in a attempt to get people to discuss whether those that voted leave should be the ones to suffer any negative economic consequences resulting from their actions. I'm sure *_ash_* will be relieved to hear I'm not in a position to influence any company's hiring or firing decisions.

Yes, selecting leave voters for redundancy would be illegal but some companies seem to get away with making those keen on health and safety or employee rights redundant. I don't doubt they could successfully bend the rules for other things as well.

Well as a matter of interest, if you were the UK Government, what would be your response to the EU sticking a 10% tax on goods that the UK supplied to the EU.

As to size of an economy. The UK is one of the world's largest car markets with 2.63 million new vehicles registered last year. The UK exported 1.23 million cars last year but imported 2.2 million. So just who has the most to lose here?

Who has the most to lose?

Us!

I should perhaps point out I made a flippant suggestion in a attempt to get people to discuss whether those that voted leave should be the ones to suffer any negative economic consequences resulting from their actions.
It was indeed flippant, and I apologise if my subsequent posts sounded like an ad hominem on you altus.

All the same, I think it's a potentially highly-divisive branch of the debate that will only exacerbate the ideological chasm developing between Leavers and Remainers, which is likely to have socio-economic consequences for years in and of itself.

Like you, I can be flippant, perhaps too much, about the negative immediate consequences of the vote. In the end, and pragmatically, those of us still here a long time after the vote, will all have to work together regardless to keep the country going and prospering. Remainers and Leavers will all have to put their hand in their pocket, forego luxuries and sweat that extra professional sweat alike.

The thought of it is still a very bitter pill now for Remainers (particularly those fed up of doing the tax heavy-lifting since 2008 ), but it's s**t sandwiches all round for the UK, for now and likely for a while, so might as well get used to the taste. Again :|

Edited by L00b

Just in case you missed this,

"A sharp fall in the pound following Britain's decision to leave the European Union will hurt UK customers buying auto parts from abroad and likely force suppliers to cut prices, the chief executive of German autos supplier ZF said on Wednesday.

ZF supplies automatic gearboxes which are assembled outside Britain to UK-based carmaker Jaguar Land Rover .

"The things we supply them have become significantly more expensive for them to buy. This means that if the situation persists, we expect pressure on prices," Sommer said at a press conference to discuss ZF's progress integrating TRW."

http://www.reuters.com/article/britain-eu-zf-friedrich-idUSL8N19S3PO

You are still promulgating a naive view. Have you considered why half the foodstuffs are important? Is it perhaps to do with the fact that most of the food we eat these days can't be grown here?

I am not supporting the ban of any imports, just a 5% tax, as Berberis pointed out - a 5% tax is a small amount when you see the fluctuations in currency prices.

Fluctuations in currency prices may mean that as from this month, we may grow more of our own food, such as potatoes, not a foreign delicacy.