The consequence thread (Brexit)

The UK voted to leave the EU, which means the UK are going to leave the EU.

Yes, but as yet no one has put forward any sort of plan for doing that.

You would think that after so many years of wanting this the ukip people and other exiters would have had a plan

EU seems to have gone quiet over the UK leaving, you know, "must go as soon as possible" and all that, might be due to the leadership elections here but as May is a remainer I wonder if they're waiting for her to be installed then some sham renegotiations will be offered. I'm a Brexiter but still don't think we'll leave and the government will find some way of weaselling out of honouring the referendum result, the EU is like the Eagle's Hotel California and the referendum was us checking out.

EU seems to have gone quiet over the UK leaving, you know, "must go as soon as possible" and all that, might be due to the leadership elections here but as May is a remainer I wonder if they're waiting for her to be installed then some sham renegotiations will be offered. I'm a Brexiter but still don't think we'll leave and the government will find some way of weaselling out of honouring the referendum result, the EU is like the Eagle's Hotel California and the referendum was us checking out.

It's gone quiet everywhere about leaving because were all waiting for a government. Nothing can happen until we get that so it's dropped down the news agenda. I'm sure there is plenty of people working away on this.

It depends what you mean by exit. If you want no relationship with Europe then we can have that in about two days but the cost will be the destruction of our economy and the crippling of the rest of the eu's. If you want some sort of relationship with Europe which gives both economies some chance of survival then that will take time to negotiate.

Yes, but as yet no one has put forward any sort of plan for doing that.

You would think that after so many years of wanting this the ukip people and other exiters would have had a plan

I would of thought the plan is for us to continue to have free trade agreements with the remaining EU members. Negotiations haven't officially started yet until the new Prime Minister has been chosen. In the mean time other Nations are approaching the UK looking to have good trade deals with us in the future. I don't think once negotiations start there will be daily updates of the strategy and tactics the UK will use to achieve the plan of obtaining good future trade deals with the EU.

It is the job of the Government to negotiate our exit, so why should UKIP play any part in the negotiations ?

I would of thought the plan is for us to continue to have free trade agreements with the remaining EU members. Negotiations haven't officially started yet until the new Prime Minister has been chosen. In the mean time other Nations are approaching the UK looking to have good trade deals with us in the future. I don't think once negotiations start there will be daily updates of the strategy and tactics the UK will use to achieve the plan of obtaining good future trade deals with the EU.

It is the job of the Government to negotiate our exit, so why should UKIP play any part in the negotiations ?

Who are these negotiators?

"The Government may have to look far and wide to find the legions of staff it needs for post-Brexit trade talks, as the civil service faces its greatest manpower crisis since the Second World War, experts have warned.

Locating the necessary expertise will be critical to the UK’s success, after the country’s unexpected decision to leave the European Union. No-one was more shocked by that decision than those tasked with taking us out of the political bloc."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/03/government-faces-worldwide-hunt-for-trade-negotiators-experts-wa/

The captain and crew have jumped ship, we are driverless and rudderless.

Who are these negotiators?

"The Government may have to look far and wide to find the legions of staff it needs for post-Brexit trade talks, as the civil service faces its greatest manpower crisis since the Second World War, experts have warned.

Locating the necessary expertise will be critical to the UK’s success, after the country’s unexpected decision to leave the European Union. No-one was more shocked by that decision than those tasked with taking us out of the political bloc."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/03/government-faces-worldwide-hunt-for-trade-negotiators-experts-wa/

The captain and crew have jumped ship, we are driverless and rudderless.

The captain hasn't jumped ship and work will be happening now behind the scenes to prepare for negotiations of BREXIT.

But what form will that trade agreement take? It won't be the same as we have now.

There are other things too, like funding from the eu for research and the European investment bank and loads of other international deals and commitments which will have to be looked at and renegotiated.

Define "major factor", and show me the polls. :)

Watch the Panorama programme with Adrian Chiles interviewing people in West Bromwich after the referendum,immigration and migrants is the number one reason that comes up again and again.

That's not a poll, that's a self-selecting point sample.

Which will reflect in polls.

No, that's absolutely not the case.

TV Vox pops have gone through at least three tiers of editorial/journalistic choices, before their specifically selected opinions are broadcast.

That still doesn't affect the way these people voted in the referendum,and in the West Bromwich Panorama programme,they were all out voters citing immigration as the main reason.

Jesus wept...

But what form will that trade agreement take? It won't be the same as we have now.

There are other things too, like funding from the eu for research and the European investment bank and loads of other international deals and commitments which will have to be looked at and renegotiated.

The EU negotiated a 98% tariff free trade agreement with Canada which will come into effect in the future. It should be far easier for us a country which has had good trade relations for over 40 years to negotiate a better deal than what is on the table for Canada.