The consequence thread (Brexit)

Do you think we'll stop buying VWs, BMWs, Audis, Mercs & Porsches, not to mention Miele, Bosch etc.

No. From a German point of view they would prefer to continue selling all those cars tariff free. We bought more German cars than any other country last year, which is a good negotiating position for us to be in.

Do you think we'll stop buying VWs, BMWs, Audis, Mercs & Porsches, not to mention Miele, Bosch etc.

We'll still buy them but potentially less of them.

Something few people appreciate is that behind nearly every operation (say Bosch, BMW etc..) lies an infrastructure to support the sale, marketing, distribution and servicing of the products in a particular country. Those functions provide jobs.

Each company will have a threshold at which such an operation becomes sustainable. Sales drop below the threshold and the company might decide it's not worth selling here.

---------- Post added 10-07-2016 at 18:02 ----------

No. From a German point of view they would prefer to continue selling all those cars tariff free. We bought more German cars than any other country last year, which is a good negotiating position for us to be in.

Like I said earlier any losses can be easily offset. A more prosperous Germany or any EU country for that matter due to relocation of British jobs would translate into more sales in the EU.

Besides, when those jobs leave the UK we will be less prosperous and will buy fewer such cars, especially if a 10% tariff is applied.

You and every other Brexiters seem to be massively over-egging this.

---------- Post added 10-07-2016 at 18:05 ----------

:confused: do you have a reference for this?

We voluntarily helped the Irish. We didn't have to but it was in our interests

---------- Post added 10-07-2016 at 18:25 ----------

Er, that's why I said I thought higher food prices a good thing as it may limit that somewhat man!

So the cheap food will become more expensive. People will get fat and it will cost them more. Well done ;)

Edited by I1L2T3

UK industrial and manufacturing output dips during May

7 July 2016 - From the BBCs Business section

Well we're back once again to 'who do you believe?' which is exactly the same problem as the run up to the referendum.

You'll notice the media is now totally clear of any stories about the problems in Europe and immigrants being picked up out of the Mediterranean..

We're all being played like fiddles...

Edited by Anna B

Like I said earlier any losses can be easily offset. A more prosperous Germany or any EU country for that matter due to relocation of British jobs would translate into more sales in the EU.

Besides, when those jobs leave the UK we will be less prosperous and will buy fewer such cars, especially if a 10% tariff is applied.

You and every other Brexiters seem to be massively over-egging this.

Yes a 10% tariff on German cars is just a drop in the ocean. They sold 18 billion euros worth of car last year to the UK and can always look to Greece, who don't make the top 50 countries for their exports to buy a few more cars tariff free.

So the cheap food will become more expensive. People will get fat and it will cost them more. Well done ;)

It has been well know for some time that hitting the wallet works and is the reason why the government want to introduce a sugar tax. Its also well known that higher food prices mean less consumption and less waste. If food prices rise then it will also have a bonus knock-on effect in that the funding drain on the NHS because of obesity will be lessened.

Yes a 10% tariff on German cars is just a drop in the ocean. They sold 18 billion euros worth of car last year to the UK and can always look to Greece, who don't make the top 50 countries for their exports to buy a few more cars tariff free.

Greece is a few million people out of 440 million. There are 26 other countries.

---------- Post added 10-07-2016 at 19:43 ----------

It has been well know for some time that hitting the wallet works and is the reason why the government want to introduce a sugar tax. Its also well known that higher food prices mean less consumption and less waste. If food prices rise then it will also have a bonus knock-on effect in that the funding drain on the NHS because of obesity will be lessened.

If food prices rise then the prices of the cheap-end food will rise too, and people could be forced to eat more of it.

An increase in our food prices isn't going to magically disappear the crap off the supermarket shelves.

What you are describing is categorically not an automatic consequence of Brexit.

---------- Post added 10-07-2016 at 19:46 ----------

One for the gloom and doomers,

"Now SOUTH KOREA wants British free trade deal as UK ministers struggle to cope with demand"

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/688053/South-Korea-post-brexit-UK-trade-deal-Government-Australia-Canada-Germany-New-Zealand

Daily Express spin alert!!

We already have free trade with South Korea, via the EU.

Are we going to leave the EU and reduce EU immigration, but still leave immigration from outside of the EU at 184,000?

It may well be the very same person leading the country that failed to reduce immigration, when they promised to do so.

I hope we do reduce immigration to around 100,000; but my fear would be that we become a racist country, and austerity is still being applied.

My fear, had we remained, was that we would more likely have become a racist country owing to problems created by an ever increasing number of immigrants, a poor integration policy, in addition to the frustration of being powerless to control those numbers.

Kj