The consequence thread (Brexit)

That way we get the best deal with Australia, New Zealand and America? I think not, we get what they give us.

It makes sense to me to pick the brains of people who have been involved in successful trade negotiations for their own countries, and to use this knowledge to help get the best trade agreements for the UK with the EU.

---------- Post added 11-07-2016 at 09:02 ----------

You can hardly call people sore losers if they are worried about the future of the country.

Let's face it. The leave campaign made promises that are undeliverable so it's not a surprise that people who voted leave are now worried as well.

Both sides ran poor campaigns. I made my mind to vote leave in the 1980's if ever there was another referendum. UKIP won the 2014 European election in the UK because people were unhappy about being in Europe.

There are a lot of sour losers about and Nigel Farage was a sour loser, when he thought shortly after polling closed, the remain campaign had won the referendum.

Edited by Gamston
typo

Let's not forget we do not have any negotiation skills or the negotiators the country has not needed them since we joined the EU.

Yep. I have heard some estimates that we will need upwards of 400 trade negotiators to deal with the consequence of Brexit.

This is on top of all the extra civil servants, lawyers etc that will be needed. Just as an example, the small area I work on has 5 pieces of legislation that govern it - most tied up in EU law. Each one will need to be unpicked to decide what we want to keep, throw away, change and add. Then it will all have to go into a Bill and laid before parliament. And that is pretty much replicated across government.

Some people are estimating that it will take 20 years to sort it all out. The cost of this? Oh let's say £350m a week shall we? After all, the Brexiters believed that figure.

And people call us 'sore losers'. They have no idea what they voted for and what is coming...

Both sides ran poor campaigns. I made my mind to vote leave in the 1980's if ever there was another referendum. UKIP won the 2014 European election in the UK because people were unhappy about being in Europe.

There are a lot of sour losers about and Nigel Farage was a sour loser, when he thought shortly after polling closed, the remain campaign had won the referendum.

http://www.europarl.org.uk/en/your-meps/european_elections/results.html

In what way did they "win"?

The Guardian think UKIP won that election

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/26/ukip-european-elections-political-earthquake

UKIP got more votes than any other UK party and won more seats than any other UK party, which most non sore losing people would consider a victory. It was because of that election result David Cameron said the UK would have a EU referendum, if the Conservative's won the 2015 General Election.

The rest is history. But, perhaps history would have taken a different path if more people had voted for the pro EU parties in the 2014 UK European elections and prevented UKIP being the party which got the most seats and votes.

Edited by Gamston
typo

The people voted and the referendum was legitimate. The UK are leaving the EU and there is nothing sore losers can do about it other than moan.

If the winners had any actual plan other than destroying the ecomony before they do anything, there'd be nothing to moan about, would there?

If the winners had any actual plan other than destroying the ecomony before they do anything, there'd be nothing to moan about, would there?

The plan is to negotiate the best trade deals for the UK with the EU. The UK has now got a new Prime Minister less than 3 weeks after the UK voted to leave the EU, who is responsible for negotiating BREXIT.

Sore losers will continue to moan about the democratic decision the country made. Carry on moaning, it will not make any difference.

Edited by Gamston
typo

The plan is to negotiate the best trade deals for the UK with the EU. The UK has now got a new Prime Minister less than 3 after the UK voted to leave the EU, who is responsible for negotiating BREXIT.

Sore losers will continue to moan about the democratic decision the country made. Carry on moaning, it will not make any difference.

If May gets us an EEA deal will you be happy? If May says the best we can hope for is an EEA deal would you rather stay in?

The plan is to negotiate the best trade deals for the UK with the EU.

And if the deal (as is likely) isn't as good as the deal we have now?

The UK has now got a new Prime Minister less than 3 after the UK voted to leave the EU, who is responsible for negotiating BREXIT.

In a process that is of itself a complete shambles. Doesn't bode well for all these deals.

Sore losers will continue to moan about the democratic decision the country made.

Based on a pack of lies.

Carry on moaning, it will not make any difference.

We'll see.