The consequence thread (Brexit)

I wonder how the markets respond to Leadsom's withdrawal.

The variance has reduced by two thirds after mid day which coincides with the breaking news, but its too early to tell if this has had any effect. Wait until the first full day trading post May's inauguration

If you have dollars and euros buying sterling is pretty cheap at the moment.

The brokers have been saying for a couple of days that Sterling is now undervalued. The RSI has dropped to 27, and Sterling rides between 80 and 30. I've no doubt that there is a rough ride but it may well be time to be looking again at the pound.

I bought Krugerrands on the eve of the referendum. They too seem to have peaked. I may start to get rid of those.

Edited by foxy lady

Do you think we'll stop buying VWs, BMWs, Audis, Mercs & Porsches, not to mention Miele, Bosch etc.
They might stop selling them to us altogether ;)

A jokey reply inspired by non-jokey news that fish and chips might shortly become luxury food:

Norway, the world's top salmon exporter, is benefiting from salmon prices that are 60 percent higher than a year ago, due to disease and a prevalence of sea lice in south America.

Supermarket chain Wm Morrisons raised its salmon fillet prices "months" ago, and Tesco followed suit recently, increasing the price of 2 fillets to 3.50 pounds from 3 pounds.

Martyn Boyers, chief executive of the fish market in the northern port town of Grimsby, says the pound's weakness, which is also down about 10 percent against the Norwegian crown, could reduce Britain's lure as a market, even for cod and haddock.

"In the end, if the Icelandics and Norwegians who send whitefish don't think the price they're getting is good enough, it won't come here at all," Boyers said.

Britain is Norway's third-biggest market for seafood, worth seven percent of total sales in 2015, with a value of about 5 billion Norwegian crowns ($591.90 million). Norway sells mostly salmon to Britain (3.4 billion crowns), followed by cod (600 million crowns) and haddock (450 million crowns).

"Those selling on the spot market will likely not see the current pound value as attractive and look for other alternatives," said Jack-Robert Moeller, director in Britain for the Norwegian Seafood Council. "But regardless of whether you sell on the spot market or with long-term contracts, a weakening pound will lead to higher import costs."

(source)

EDIT - just realised that was the same link as DnAuK above. Apologies :blush:

Edited by L00b