The consequence thread (Brexit)

No, I don't and I didn't. The reason for that is the buy/sell price, the CGT and the broker-costs. I prefer my investments to work for the long term. Still, nice dodge, expert.

Long term eh!

So what was your advice? I've made around 15% over 2 weeks as there are no broker costs on buying and selling Krugerrands. But what do I know?

I thought my desktop might amuse you..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205058264534886&set=a.1014164812993.2120.1791245101&type=3&theater

Edited by foxy lady

I don't know if he's gone mad, but he is certainly demonstrating he is not the leader Labour need right now. May could potentially wait for this leadership challenge to play out and strike Labour right at their weakest moment. Eagle vs may vs LibDems/SNP/UKIP/ It would be a bloodbath for Labour.

It would be a bloodbath for all the major parties because if an election is called before Article 50 is invoked, who do you think will be the only party the country trusts to invoke it?:(

Long term eh!

So what was your advice? I've made around 15% over 2 weeks as there are no broker costs on buying and selling Krugerrands. But what do I know?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205058264534886&set=a.1014164812993.2120.1791245101&type=3&theater

Because they have the same buy and sell price (not)

You would have done better with CHF by the way

It would be a bloodbath for all the major parties because if an election is called before Article 50 is invoked, who do you think will be the only party the country trusts to invoke it?:(

Can an election be called when its now a fixed term parliament?

Long term eh!

Another £50/oz gain and selling all 40 would have caused you to hit your annual CGT threshold.

But......nice work. I made £1446, £550 then £741 in the 2 weeks after Brexit trading on gold/silver ETFs. I couldnt have invested tens of thousands like you did but nice profits all the same. Silver gained almost £3.50/oz. 27% gain vs 16% gold. I got lucky there.

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 07:02 ----------

Yes, in certain circumstances

Long term eh!

Very amusing, thank you for sharing. Alas you forget that the 15% you 'earned' is practically negated by the pound collapsing.

Even though the AEX/DAX weren't doing all that great, the value of the Euro against the Pound, paired with some speculative Nasdaq and the customary gold and oil shares is seeing our long term investment through nicely so far. Shame that it is the British pensions that have got hit. I'd hang on to those lovely coins until Brexit is complete and the world is normalising.

Under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act (FTPA), the primary process for triggering an early election is through MPs voting on a motion for a general election by a majority of two thirds of the House. [649 seats once Speaker excluded, 2/3 = 433; which is more than all of Tory plus non Labour seats]

There is also an alternative method under the FTPA of triggering an election, which is a vote of no confidence in the Government, which requires a straight forward majority in the House. In this case there is a 14 day cooling off period, in which the opposition is given the opportunity to try to form a government. So that would set the earliest possible timetable back, potentially, by a couple of weeks.

Given TM has stood on the basis of not calling an early election, then this might be the more likely usage of the FTPA, as it doesn’t require the two thirds majority, and therefore it would require only a few rebels in the Tory party to pass. Opposition parties are calling for a GE already, and this is the vehicle for opposition parties to try to force an early election.

The proirity for the country at the monent is to negotiate BREXIT and not a General Election. There is only one party which is in a position to do that, and it is good fortune for the country that party forms the current Government. The Labour Party need to sort out their own rules and selecting method for their leader, because it is ludicrous to choose a leader wouldn't make the final two in a contest decided solely by their own MP's.

I saw Theresa May saying she wanted to "unite the country" [after the referendum poll and probable Brexit], but could someone tell me what that actually means ? Is it actually possible to do that ?

Basically, as I see it, leaving or staying in the EU is one thing or the other, either :

A - We do actually leave the EU and about half the country will be unhappy because they consider a one way decision has been made on a snapshot of public opinion taken on one day after an incredibly dishonest campaign.

or

B - We don`t actually leave the EU in the end, maybe because public opinion plainly shifts (possibly because the UK can`t get a deal anywhere near what the Leave campaign promised us). Under these circumstances half the country will be upset because they think their votes have been ignored.

How can those two possibly be reconciled ?

I accept there are many, probably most, voters who probably aren`t that bothered one way or the other, but there are a significant number, in both directions, who have very strong views on Brexit. I really don`t see how it`ll ever be reconciled.

Edited by Justin Smith

I saw Theresa May saying she wanted to "unite the country" [after the referendum poll and probable Brexit], but could someone tell me what that actually means ? Is it actually possible to do that ?

Basically, as I see it, leaving or staying in the EU is one thing or the other, either :

A - We do actually leave the EU and about half the country will be unhappy because they consider a one way decision has been made on a snapshot of public opinion taken on one day after an incredibly dishonest campaign.

or

B - We don`t actually leave the EU in the end, maybe because public opinion plainly shifts (possibly because the UK can`t get a deal anywhere near what the Leave campaign promised us). Under these circumstances half the country will be upset because they think their votes have been ignored.

How can those two possible be reconciled ?

There is only one option and that is your option A. Theresa May has stated BREXIT will happen. The fact you mentioned 'an incredibly dishonest campaign' is the problem because you are not accepting the result which was made in a fair and democratic way.

The best thing for the country is for the moaners to stop moaning about the result and accept elections and referendums don't always go the way you voted.