The consequence thread (Brexit)

Lost on the 23rd of June 2016, nobody is arguing about that, apart from all eth lies of course. What about in a month`s time, a year`s time, five year`s time (the length of the UK government term) ?

I think it goes something like this. 52% of folk voted for Brexit. Of the rest most accepted the result and got on with life.

The sun came out the next morning and folk went to work and went to the pub. The economy has now settled down and more folk have come to terms with events.

The rest seem to be mouthing off and predicting Armagedon. I've not seen much of it myself.

There will be an election in 4 years, by which time we will be pretty much extracted from Europe, but you will get the chance to vote against pretty much any party that you feel might not have promoted your viewpoint.

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 10:20 ----------

Next you'll be telling me it wasn't anything to do with immigration either.

What percentage of the Brexit vote thought that they were voting to give £300+ per week to the NHS, or to throw the government out of office, or to make Nigel Farage PM.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I've no idea. You seem to be the one who tells folk why they voted whichever way they did. I voted Brexit because I didn't want to be in a club run by Junckers.

The UK should be looking for our own individual deal and not be joining the EEA and accepting all the terms for those counties who are members of that group.

No deals with anyone in the EU?

Free movement of labour should not be considered and if we don't get 100% tariff free trading, then so be it.

So effectively, if we don't get our way, douse everything in petrol and throw on the matches.

Nice, if that happens a huge proportion of current brexiters will be begging to re-join the EU in no time at all. :P

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 10:42 ----------

What percentage of the Brexit vote thought that they were voting to give £300+ per week to the NHS.

Judging by some of the news articles over the past few weeks, many still think this is going to happen! You couldn't make it up!

Edited by Magilla

No deals with anyone in the EU?

I didn't say that. Norway has a population of 5 million and Iceland has a population of about 350 thousand, while the UK has a population of 65 million. Therefore, it makes no sense for the UK, which is the 5th largest World economy to be looking for the same deals these countries have with the EU.

While the UK has been in the EU, we successfully avoided obtaining the Euro as our currency and signing up to be in the Schengen Zone which demonstrates the UK has the power and influence to negotiate deals in our own countries interest.

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 11:35 ----------

So effectively, if we don't get our way, douse everything in petrol and throw on the matches.

Nice, if that happens a huge proportion of current brexiters will be begging to re-join the EU in no time at all. :P

Again I didn't say that. I mentioned earlier on this thread that the EU and Canada had agreed a 98% tariff free deal, which would hardly be dosing anything with petrol, if that was the best deal the UK could obtain.

Edited by Gamston

Next you'll be telling me it wasn't anything to do with immigration either.

What percentage of the Brexit vote thought that they were voting to give £300+ per week to the NHS, or to throw the government out of office, or to make Nigel Farage PM.

I dont know what the % was, maybe you can provide the figures that no one seems to know.

I didn't say that. Norway has a population of 5 million and Iceland has a population of about 350 thousand, while the UK has a population of 65 million. Therefore, it makes no sense for the UK, which is the 5th largest World economy to be looking for the same deals these countries have with the EU.

Lots of assumptions and wishful thinking there.

While the UK has been in the EU, we successfully avoided obtaining the Euro as our currency and signing up to be in the Schengen Zone which demonstrates the UK has the power and influence to negotiate deals in our own countries interest.

The EU bent over backwards to accomondate us as a member of the club, again, that's one big assumption.

Again I didn't say that. I mentioned earlier on this thread that the EU and Canada had agreed a 98% tariff free deal, which would hardly be dosing anything with petrol, if that was the best deal the UK could obtain.

It's going to be interesting watching the fallout if the best we can get is what we already had.

The EU will be caught between a rock and a hard place. On one hand they will want a favourable trade deal as many jobs in EU countries are dependent on UK trade. On the other they will want to make it is unappealing as possible for the other members to leave.

It's going to be interesting watching the fallout if the best we can get is what we already had.
You and I both know the UK cannot possibly get "what we already had" (i.e. the same trading T&Cs as under full EU membership), under any stretches of meaning.

The EU will be caught between a rock and a hard place. On one hand they will want a favourable trade deal as many jobs in EU countries are dependent on UK trade. On the other they will want to make it is unappealing as possible for the other members to leave.

Nail on the head post.