The consequence thread (Brexit)

is any chance that the bulk of the peoples' of mainland Europe believe in the project itself and are supportive of the ideal of a single European state?

If yes, then there's no need to deter then from leaving as they won't want to.

If no, then why is it still being pursued?

is any chance that the bulk of the peoples' of mainland Europe believe in the project itself and are supportive of the ideal of a single European state?

I don't think it is, is it?

'Ever closer union' in those vague terms is not the same as an active and real policy for creating the United States of Europe.

I don't think it is, is it?

'Ever closer union' in those vague terms is not the same as an active and real policy for creating the United States of Europe.

Is it not? I can't think what else it could mean. We know with a high degree of probability that full fiscal union is on the way.

According to French, German and Benelux MSM at least, there is such a belief indeed, and a collective sigh of relief after May's recent proclamation that "brexit is brexit".

Now that the UK is done stashing steel bars in their wheel spokes, I expect them to start getting more momentum.

Is it not? I can't think what else it could mean. We know with a high degree of probability that full fiscal union is on the way.

Not even slightly.

Are you familiar with the full quote?

Ever closer union of the peoples.....

Doesn't say Government. Doesn't say politics. Nor is the word 'union' capitalised.

According to French, German and Benelux MSM at least, there is such a belief indeed, and a collective sigh of relief after May's recent proclamation that "brexit is brexit".

Now that the UK is done stashing steel bars in their wheel spokes, I expect them to start getting more momentum.

Well this is what I thought.

There is majority consent for the continuous integration process in much of the mainland unlike in the UK.

Now that we're getting out of the way, they can get on with it without us. Good luck to them.

No real question of deterring other members from following the Uk as that's not what their peoples want.

I really don't see why the UK and the mainland have to have any meaningful falling out over this.

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 14:50 ----------

Not even slightly.

Are you familiar with the full quote?

Ever closer union of the peoples.....

Doesn't say Government. Doesn't say politics. Nor is the word 'union' capitalised.

The EU is a governmental organisation though. So how do they go about engineering a union of the peoples other than via a union of the governments?

I really do think that this is the plan. Now that we're not to be part of it, I have zero objection to it. As I say, good luck to them. Hope it all works out.

Well this is what I thought.

There is majority consent for the continuous integration process in much of the mainland unlike in the UK.

Now that we're getting out of the way, they can get on with it without us. Good luck to them.

No real question of deterring other members from following the Uk as that's not what their peoples want.

I really don't see why the UK and the mainland have to have any meaningful falling out over this.

The motto of the USA is (I won't attempt the Latin), Out of Many, One.

The EU motto is United In Diversity.

Think on that....

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 14:59 ----------

The EU is a governmental organisation though. So how do they go about engineering a union of the peoples other than via a union of the governments?

I really do think that this is the plan. Now that we're not to be part of it, I have zero objection to it. As I say, good luck to them. Hope it all works out.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the context with which it is used as well.

The motto of the USA is (I won't attempt the Latin), Out of Many, One.

The EU motto is United In Diversity.

Think on that....

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 14:59 ----------

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the context with which it is used as well.

Are you arguing that these are similar or that they're opposed?

In either case, are you sure that motto comparison is the best way to judge the long-term plans of supra-national governmental organisations?