The consequence thread (Brexit)

That is a big change actually.

The Channel Islands are not part of the UK.

I know the Channel Islands are a crown dependency and I also know the Channels Islands are not part of the EU. I also know the Channels Islands have free trade with the EU with no freedom of movement :)

That is a big change actually.

The Channel Islands are not part of the UK.

And its looking like Scotland may also not be soon as wee Krankie has announced there could be another referendum as soon as next year. But as they were allowed to vote in the EU referendum the rest of the UK should be allowed to vote in any Scottish referendum.

And its looking like Scotland may also not be soon as wee Krankie has announced there could be another referendum as soon as next year. But as they were allowed to vote in the EU referendum the rest of the UK should be allowed to vote in any Scottish referendum.

Scotland needs the permission of the UK Government before it can hold another referendum. Theresa May has already stated they had an independence referendum in 2014 which provided a decisive outcome.

Nicola Sturgeon is nothing more than a deluded trouble maker.

Scotland needs the permission of the UK Government before it can hold another referendum. Theresa May has already stated they had an independence referendum in 2014 which provided a decisive outcome.

Nicola Sturgeon is nothing more than a deluded trouble maker.

It is actually irrelevant whether Theresa May "allows" the Scots to have another referendum. If they had one (assuming it was seen to be fair) and a majority of Scots voted to leave that would effectively be it. I don`t see how the UK parliament could deny the Scots leaving. A referendum is non binding in either direction anyway, it`s just a giant opinion poll taken on a particular date. Something the leave campaign seem to forget.

Edited by Justin Smith

It is actually irrelevant whether Theresa May "allows" the Scots to have another referendum. If they had one (assuming it was seen to be fair) and a majority of Scots voted to leave that would effectively be it. I don`t see how the UK parliament could deny the Scots leaving. A referendum is non binding in either direction anyway, it`s just a giant opinion poll taken on a particular date. Something the leave campaign seem to forget.

Actually Scotland had a referendum on remaining part of the UK. They decided that they wanted to be part of the UK.

Now it may be true that a majority of Scots voted for the UK to remain in the EU. That's hardly the same as voting for Scotland to break away from the UK, and stand on their own two feet in some expectation of joining the EU at some future date. That's something the sore losers of the remain campaign seem to forget.

I know the Channel Islands are a crown dependency and I also know the Channels Islands are not part of the EU. I also know the Channels Islands have free trade with the EU with no freedom of movement :)

EU and EEA citizens are completely free to work in the channel islands. The only restriction is housing, not unlike the situation with Liechtenstein really.

As for the freedom of movement for channel islanders yes it is restricted. Do you really want UK citizens to be subject to the same restrictions? What would you be hoping to gain by that?

Freedom of movement for channel islands services and capital is also restricted. Do you want the UK to be subject to the same rules with no EU passporting for financial services for example?

Careful what you wish for.

---------- Post added 17-07-2016 at 21:26 ----------

I wonder if the tables had been reversed, and if England had voted Remain and Scotland Leave the EU in the same amounts, that Sturgeon would be pushing to leave the UK and the EU?

Do you wonder about other things too, like what if day was night and night was day?

Actually Scotland had a referendum on remaining part of the UK. They decided that they wanted to be part of the UK.

Now it may be true that a majority of Scots voted for the UK to remain in the EU. That's hardly the same as voting for Scotland to break away from the UK, and stand on their own two feet in some expectation of joining the EU at some future date. That's something the sore losers of the remain campaign seem to forget.

That`s my whole point about a referendum just being a giant opinion poll at any particular moment in time. They did vote to remain in the UK, then. But that doesn`t mean they`ll do the same next time *, particularly after what would effectively be a significant change in the UK`s constitution. Furthermore, the Scots Nats know that becoming independent outside of the EU would be rather more problematic for them, thus they have a genuine reason for wanting to break away if that means they can stay in the EU.

* I`m sure I don`t need to emphasis the parallels with the EU referendum in this regard...... The difference is that voting Remain in either poll means you can still have another go later, voting leave is a one way street,