The consequence thread (Brexit)

EU and EEA citizens are completely free to work in the channel islands. The only restriction is housing, not unlike the situation with Liechtenstein really.

As for the freedom of movement for channel islanders yes it is restricted. Do you really want UK citizens to be subject to the same restrictions? What would you be hoping to gain by that?

Freedom of movement for channel islands services and capital is also restricted. Do you want the UK to be subject to the same rules with no EU passporting for financial services for example?

Careful what you wish for.

The Channel Islands have access to the EU free market without free movement of people.

The Channel Islands have access to the EU free market without free movement of people.

Not as black and white as that.

As I have already pointed out.

EU and EEA citizens can freely work there if they have housing lined up. It is also very easy for channel island residents to obtain free movement rights for themselves.

There is however no participation in the single market for services. They can freely sell new potatoes to the EU but not financial services.

Is this just the latest crazy idea in the odyssey for an economic model pist-Brexit? We've had everything else I suppose.

One of the UK's tech-crown jewels looks set to be taken over by Softbank, a Japanese firm, which offered 24 billion GBP (31 billion $) for the company. Before June the 23rd that would have been closer to 37 billion $.

No doubt the drop in the value of the pound helped convince Softbank to come in for it now.

One of the UK's tech-crown jewels looks set to be taken over by Softbank, a Japanese firm, which offered 24 billion GBP (31 billion $) for the company. Before June the 23rd that would have been closer to 37 billion $.

No doubt the drop in the value of the pound helped convince Softbank to come in for it now.

It's a good time for foreign firms to invest in the UK. On the news it said Softbank intend to double the work force over the next five years.

If shareholders are not happy with the deal, then they can vote not to accept.

It's a good time for foreign firms to invest in the UK. On the news it said Softbank intend to double the work force over the next five years.

If shareholders are not happy with the deal, then they can vote not to accept.

I read ARM intended to double the workforce, slight difference but quite significant. As is the fact that this, very important, company would be in foreign hands. I have no issues with it, just reporting what is being said, as Softbank explicitly stated the soft pound, it is part of the consequences thread.

What drop?

JPY/GBP is not significantly lower since June and is still around 20% up on the year.

I read ARM intended to double the workforce, slight difference but quite significant. As is the fact that this, very important, company would be in foreign hands. I have no issues with it, just reporting what is being said, as Softbank explicitly stated the soft pound, it is part of the consequences thread.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. The pound is lower which will attract business from abroad and it makes sense for a foreign company intending to buy a UK company, to buy now before the pound rises again.