The consequence thread (Brexit)

Immigrants of all shapes and sizes are coming into the UK, that affects the salaries of everyone from doctors to cockle pickers.

It keeps salaries low, keeping house prices are booming.

I very much doubt that cockle pickers are salaried !

I think you are missing the point rather spectacularly, I don't want the economy to crash, it will cost me too much. What I want is some realism to be introduced into the discussion.

No it didn't, there is a direct correlation between real wage growth, which was positive upto 2008 and the crisis.

The impact of immigration on UK wages.

Department of Economics and Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/media/library/immigration

across the whole spectrum of wages it is impossible for everybody to benefit. Some workers will see a gain, others a loss.”

The report goes on to say that although the arrival of economic migrants has benefited workers in the middle and upper part of the wage distribution, immigration has placed downward pressure on the wages of workers in receipt of lower levels of pay.

I would argue that other than students, many remain voters are comfy middle class salaried people with the trimmings of paid sick leave, nice pension etc, whereas many leave voters will be productivity based wage earners (hourly paid) who don't get sick pay other than statutory, who now contribute to a stakeholder pension and who's wages have been kept down the most by EU migration.

I would argue that other than students, many remain voters are comfy middle class salaried people with the trimmings of paid sick leave, nice pension etc, whereas many leave voters will be productivity based wage earners (hourly paid) who don't get sick pay other than statutory, who now contribute to a stakeholder pension and who's wages have been kept down the most by EU migration.

righhhhhht. the vote was almost 50-50 though. explain that. half the country is middle class?

I think you are missing the point rather spectacularly, I don't want the economy to crash, it will cost me too much. What I want is some realism to be introduced into the discussion.

No it didn't, there is a direct correlation between real wage growth, which was positive upto 2008 and the crisis.

Sorry that should have read some remainers :rolleyes:

Question is, whose figures on the way the economy is going can you trust, impartial and free from hidden agendas and confirmation bias?

Wages and conditions haven't fallen due to migration, .

Mass migration has played a massive part in that. When a labour market is saturated, rendering fork lift drivers and LGV drivers etc, ten a penny, their individual and collective worth is greatly reduced.

righhhhhht. the vote was almost 50-50 though. explain that. half the country is middle class?

I have no idea, that would have been half the voters though not the country, but I stated 'many' not all, I am sure some have voted and who contradict the stereotype, including some students who would have voted leave etc !

Sorry that should have read some remainers :rolleyes:

Question is, whose figures on the way the economy is going can you trust, impartial and free from hidden agendas and confirmation bias?

BoE say they have seen little evidence of a post Brexit slow down. FTSE has gained 25% since February. Latest unemployment figures show a further fall. Post Brexit growth forcast higher than the Eurozone.

We must be doomed.

BoE say they have seen little evidence of a post Brexit slow down. FTSE has gained 25% since February. Latest unemployment figures show a further fall. Post Brexit growth forcast higher than the Eurozone.

We must be doomed.

have we left already? have I slept through Article 50 being enacted and 2 years of negotiation?

We must be doomed.

First of all there is no such thing as the FTSE, its the FTSE100/250 etc.

Second how does the stock costs of the FTSE 100 or which ever you meant affect you directly? Do you know why there has been a bounce or do you see the market rising and assume that must be good?

Thirdly the latest unemployment figures are from the period March-to-May 2016 which is before the referendum vote. We won't have the evidence of any effect for at least 6 months to a year or maybe longer.

Our growth has been downgraded, our credit rating has taken a hit and is under "Downward pressure" according to Moodys and others. The IMF have downgraded the UK's growth rating meanwhile the Pound Vs the Dollar has lost over 10% and remains at this level to date.

The effect of Brexit will be wide reaching and last many years. The upset post brexit is the markets taking a sharp breath and readying itself for the wild ride to come.