The consequence thread (Brexit)

Hold on foxy,

The all-share is the 100 + 250 + small cap

That is almost 100% of the market.

I don't often agree with Obelix but he is spot on in this case.

Indeed the all share index includes all the listed companies, but as much of the value of those companies comes from the largest 100 companies (£2 trillion), the all share index recovered at pretty much the same time as the FTSE 100. It is currently back at around 3.5% below where it closed last night and above where it was trading in December.

Edited by foxy lady

It might not happen yet any ways, the PM and Government have to enact article 50 of the lisbon treaty and trigger the exit, if they decide not to listen to the people, and don't do this, then we don't leave the EU and nothing changes....

the poll was not legally binding, and doesn't mean that we WILL leave, it's more of a "this is what the people want, now its up to you to act on it" poll...

There'd be one hell of an outcry.

One of the problems that led to all this was the fact that politicians are so high handed and out of touch with the electorate.

They were said to be shocked by what they were hearing out on the street.

Why?

Because they haven't listened to the electorate in years. 'Democracy' has been a sham. Ticking a box once every 5 years for someone you don't know, don't particularly want, and who doesn't really share your views is not democracy.

Unfortunately this was the issue where the worm turned, - because it could.

Based on the actions of both gentlemen during this campaign I can do nothing but agree with you.

Cameron definitely did not want to leave the EU. He called the referendum as a response to the split within his party (as Wilson did in 1975) and to put a stop to his colleagues 'banging on about Europe'. Unfortunately for him, hubris went to his head after the Scottish referendum. He rode his luck and lost

Can you imagine the outcry of... I don't know, Romania, when the UK sends them a bill for 1000£ a month per unemployed Romanian in the UK when they would cost 100£ in Romania? Likewise, the outcry of anti-immigration folk who feel that the unemployed Romanians are coming to the UK so they get more in benefits?

OK.

That my point we would not have to control migration, their own Countries would.

That's already happening.

I came into the office today. The work we are in, most of our business is with the EU. For that to happen, we must be within the EU otherwise clients are just not interested - they need us to be within the EU area for legal and regulatory reasons.

My people were very nice. They knew what was happening. They were all quite reasonable about it. No one had any bad words to say and no recriminations as I made 37 people redundant as they cannot move to the new offices in Germany.

That's the stark reality. All you people who voted to leave - you've chosen a narrow path, a mean ill defined path delineated solely by your bigotry, racism and xenophobia. You've made your bed of nails, I hope it's comfortable for you but I fear it won't be.

Me I'm lucky. I can move. I will move. But many wont, or be unable to. Already the UK has lost a quarter of it's value. It'll only get worse. What will you do when it runs out and it's nice being stuck off the shores of a cold unloving continent? Come running asking for help?

Don't expect any. I doubt Europe will be in the mood.

I think being spoken about and spoken to and threatened in this manner made those thinking of leaving more determined to do so.

Cameron definitely did not want to leave the EU. He called the referendum as a response to the split within his party (as Wilson did in 1975) and to put a stop to his colleagues 'banging on about Europe'. Unfortunately for him, hubris went to his head after the Scottish referendum. He rode his luck and lost

If Cameron didn't, somewhere deep down, want to leave the EU he should have stopped Osbourne coming out with stupid exact claims, told the world that Sajid Javid was sacked because he lied about Europe in relation to the steel situation and had an open and honest discussion with the Great British public about Europe. He didn't. He mucked about in the margins.

Can you imagine the outcry of... I don't know, Romania, when the UK sends them a bill for 1000£ a month per unemployed Romanian in the UK when they would cost 100£ in Romania? Likewise, the outcry of anti-immigration folk who feel that the unemployed Romanians are coming to the UK so they get more in benefits?

OK.

That my point we would not have to control migration, their own Countries would.

You haven't really thought this through, have you?

There'd be one hell of an outcry.

One of the problems that led to all this was the fact that politicians are so high handed and out of touch with the electorate.

They were said to be shocked by what they were hearing out on the street.

Why?

Because they haven't listened to the electorate in years. 'Democracy' has been a sham. Ticking a box once every 5 years for someone you don't know, don't particularly want, and who doesn't really share your views is not democracy.

Unfortunately this was the issue where the worm turned, - because it could.

.........."politicians are so high handed and out of touch with the electorate."

This aptly describes Nicola Sturgeon north of the border,trying to whip up another referendum with the Scottish people!

She is so full of her own perceived importance and desire to leave the English behind (who she hates fervently) that she may find a shock if she bludgeons the Scots into yet another referendum,Scottish friends of mine say she is not to be trusted and she is driven for lots of the wrong reasons!

If Cameron didn't, somewhere deep down, want to leave the EU he should have stopped Osbourne coming out with stupid exact claims, told the world that Sajid Javid was sacked because he lied about Europe in relation to the steel situation and had an open and honest discussion with the Great British public about Europe. He didn't. He mucked about in the margins.

You haven't really thought this through, have you?

it was a tongue in cheek remark