The consequence thread (Brexit)

Have you. . . checked the date of that article? It's nearly two years old.

RAM that cost under £37 a month ago is nearer £41 today.

Now, unless there's been another flood in the Far East during the last month, which nobody told me about, and has again wiped out all those hard drive factories and RAM fabrication plants, then that's down to the falling pound. Which is due to Brexit.

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ct2c4g3s1339mceu

Yes I did know that the date of the article was 2014 but as stated it was explaining why memory prices are so volatile and why they can jump quite high on occasions.

BTW you could buy 2 x 4gb DDR3L-1600 @ £37 or failing that buy 1 x 8gb one from Amazon @ £35 or get some from another source (as low £30) instead of direct from Crucial.

See how nice this leave voter is as I have just saved you money when all you needed to do is look.

BoE say they have seen little evidence of a post Brexit slow down. FTSE has gained 25% since February. Latest unemployment figures show a further fall. Post Brexit growth forcast higher than the Eurozone.

We must be doomed.

Since Feb?

Which index? There are three you know - we've been telling you enough times.

FTSE100 from 6012 to 6701

FTSE250 from 16603 to 17043

FTSE-AS from 3345 to 3631

All from Feb close to date.

Which of them is 25% because none are in the arithmetic I use.

The impact of immigration on UK wages.

Department of Economics and Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/media/library/immigration

across the whole spectrum of wages it is impossible for everybody to benefit. Some workers will see a gain, others a loss.”

The report goes on to say that although the arrival of economic migrants has benefited workers in the middle and upper part of the wage distribution, immigration has placed downward pressure on the wages of workers in receipt of lower levels of pay.

That report is from 2007. Since the crash unemployment has shot up to 8/8,5% and then come down to where it was pre-crash (more or less). Tell me, do the unemployed count towards real wage calculations? Do people sitting at home claiming JSA/benefits add to the economy? Or are we better off with near full employment?

I would argue that other than students, many remain voters are comfy middle class salaried people with the trimmings of paid sick leave, nice pension etc, whereas many leave voters will be productivity based wage earners (hourly paid) who don't get sick pay other than statutory, who now contribute to a stakeholder pension and who's wages have been kept down the most by EU migration.

There were 31.03 million people in work, 63,000 fewer than for January to March 2015 but 354,000 more than for a year earlier

There were 22.76 million people working full-time, 352,000 more than for a year earlier. There were 8.27 million people working part-time, little changed compared with a year earlier (Source)

Seems to me that, once you realise a lot of people want to work part-time there are few people on those hourly rates you talk about. The vast majority of the employed population is in full time employment. But lets regress society to the lowest common denominator, it helps?

Sorry that should have read some remainers :rolleyes:

Question is, whose figures on the way the economy is going can you trust, impartial and free from hidden agendas and confirmation bias?

The scientific field of economy, despite what many economists argue, is a constructivist field of science. There are constant changes to the way things are interpreted and that is how it should be, however, there are some facts that are undeniable, cost of living, real wage (ie. wage growth compared to inflation), national GDP, national debt-ratios etc. All these point downwards at the moment. If the GDP of Britain grows at the rate that was predicted before Brexit it will be a miracle, a slow down in GDP growth means a slow down in deficit reduction - more cuts, more cuts means a reduction of living standards, especially combined with an increased cost of living and a depression in real wages due to inflation.

There is an expression for it, stagflation. We aren't there yet, but all the pointers are there.

Mass migration has played a massive part in that. When a labour market is saturated, rendering fork lift drivers and LGV drivers etc, ten a penny, their individual and collective worth is greatly reduced.

What about the effect of mass migration on the top part of the economy. The researchers, high level managers, doctors and nurses etc. You know, the people that pull an economy up? All too easily forgotten because you don't 'see' us, but we're here (for now).

Do you genuinely not see that Teresa May promising to bring migration to tens of thousands and then not doing anything about it says a lot about the importance of migration for the economy?

Since Feb?

Has Febuary been picked because it suits the posters argument?

Surely the date should be from 23rd June, or is it generally in decline or growth.

FTSE 250 down since 23rd june

FTSE 250 down from its highest point in May 2015

Edited by El Cid

Has Febuary been picked because it suits the poster argument?

Surely the date should be from 23rd June, or is it generally in decline or growth.

FTSE 250 down since 23rd june

FTSE 250 down from its highest point in May 2015

February was picked because the reply was to Foxy who stated that the indices were up 25% since then..

Has Febuary been picked because it suits the poster argument?

Obviously. There was a big dip in the middle of Feb as I recall. I suspect that the figure was cherry picked from there, rather than the average, the month end as is more usual, or a 200 day rolling average.

Also we don't know what index as foxy never specifies which one, despite being told there are many...

Since Feb?

Actually I believe there are 27 FTSE indicise not 3, so I probably won't bother taking your advice.

FTSE 100 closed at 5537 on 11th Feb. It was at 6736 this morning which I think is a 22% increase since February. But the markets are good. Unemployment continuing to fall; the pound pulling round. By all accounts the last 6 months have gone pretty well.

Actually I believe there are 27 FTSE indicise not 3, so I probably won't bother taking your advice.

FTSE 100 closed at 5537 on 11th Feb. It was at 6736 this morning which I think is a 22% increase since February. But the markets are good. Unemployment continuing to fall; the pound pulling round. By all accounts the last 6 months have gone pretty well.

I wasn't wanting to overly tax your understanding being as you still haven't figured out what the 350 is...

So you did cherry pick the figures. Well done. Try a 200dMA next time its much more useful and doesn't leave you open to accusations of the logical errors you are still making.

Oh and there are waaaay more than 27 FTSE product indices btw....

http://www.ftse.com/products/indexmenu

But that's the difference between an IFA, and a wannabe. We know these things you see....

Edited by Obelix

What about the effect of mass migration on the top part of the economy. The researchers, high level managers, doctors and nurses etc. You know, the people that pull an economy up? All too easily forgotten because you don't 'see' us, but we're here (for now).

Do you genuinely not see that Teresa May promising to bring migration to tens of thousands and then not doing anything about it says a lot about the importance of migration for the economy?

There isn't "mass migration" of researchers, doctors and nurses though. If it was mainly just those coming immigration would never have been an issue.