The consequence thread (Brexit)

Oh and there are waaaay more than 27 FTSE product indices btw....

That doesn't surprise me. All the more strange that you should come out with this garbage then.

Which index? There are three you know - we've been telling you enough times.

That doesn't surprise me. All the more strange that you should come out with this garbage then.

Are you going to correct the logical cherry picking fallacy you came up with or just sling garbage and watch it fail to stick?

There isn't "mass migration" of researchers, doctors and nurses though. If it was mainly just those coming immigration would never have been an issue.

Knock yourself out reading this from migrationobservatory (Jan 2016 - reporting on 2015), allow me to cherrypick though:

Male migrants are concentrated in the two lowest paid occupational categories (elementary and processing occupations) and in one of the highest paid occupational categories (professional), while female migrants are more concentrated in professional jobs (e.g. nurses, engineering professionals, information technology and telecommunication, and health professionals), elementary (e.g. cleaners, kitchen and catering assistants), and personal service work.

Further down the report there is a breakdown for male workers -

11% managerial roles

21% professional roles

10% assistant professional

4% administrative

15% skilled trade

4% personal service

5% sales

13% processing

16% elementary occupation

The 32% managerial and professional (high skill) is bigger than the 29% in unskilled (processing and elementary) is it not?

For female workers the focus is more on personal service than skilled trades and managerial, but at a 28% high-skilled to 21% low-skilled the difference is even starker.

The report goes on to state that compared with their UK-born counterparts, the foreign-born workforce has become more educated.

Like I said - focussing on the low-hanging fruit blinds people into thinking migration isn't useful for the economy. Add to this that the EU migrant population is generally of working age, contributing. The UK population is also carrying a large number of people that can not work (too old, not able).

Edited by tzijlstra

There isn't "mass migration" of researchers, doctors and nurses though. If it was mainly just those coming immigration would never have been an issue.
Well, you can now rest easy, safe in the knowledge that, according to NHS and academia heads reporting early 'de-EU-ification' of their staffing and budgets that has begun in anger, many such researchers, doctors and the like are beginning to leave, and no more of them are coming. I understand from the said academia heads that even foreign student acceptances are already down.

Are you going to correct the logical cherry picking fallacy you came up with or just sling garbage and watch it fail to stick?

I don't really need to do I.

As everyone keeps saying markets go up and come down. The FTSE 100 started at 1000 points in 1984. In February this year it stood at 5537. It has been up and down quiter a lot between 1984 and now. It currently stands at around 6700. 22% higher than in April despite the Brexit vote in between.

It is also higher than the day before the Brexit Vote, the day after the Brexit vote. Indeed if it goes up much more it will break through the all time high. I'm failing to see a problem, but then I'm not looking to create one.

As everyone keeps saying markets go up and come down. The FTSE 100 started at 1000 points in 1984. In February this year it stood at 5537. It has been up and down quiter a lot between 1984 and now. It currently stands at around 6700. 22% higher than in April despite the Brexit vote in between.

It is also higher than the day before the Brexit Vote, the day after the Brexit vote. Indeed if it goes up much more it will break through the all time high. I'm failing to see a problem, but then I'm not looking to create one.

You're failing to grasp that,at the moment, we are still in the EU..

Have you factored in the drop in sterling yet?

Have you understood that comparing to an arbitrary date in the past is cherry picking in the extreme. Have you therefore considered a 200dMA or even just an averaged value for February?

Or are you just picking a convenient figure that makes your point out of thin air.

I mean, the FTSE100 is down from 1999 at the moment. The stock market is falling!

Have you factored in the drop in sterling yet?

Have you understood that comparing to an arbitrary date in the past is cherry picking in the extreme. Have you therefore considered a 200dMA or even just an averaged value for February?

Or are you just picking a convenient figure that makes your point out of thin air.

I mean, the FTSE100 is down from 1999 at the moment. The stock market is falling!

Why are you talking the country down?