The consequence thread (Brexit)

I can see that your mind is made up and that no amount of common sense or reports will change your opinion.

Just a last thought, if the number of people with your skills significantly increased and they all wanted jobs in your field of work, do you think your wage would fall or rise?

I've learned to think for myself, perhaps, instead of deflecting my reply with this post, you ought to read the work by people like Jonathan Portes (the link you ignored so as to enable your limited worldview).

:thumbsup:

I've learned to think for myself, perhaps, instead of deflecting my reply with this post, you ought to read the work by people like Jonathan Portes (the link you ignored so as to enable your limited worldview).

I also think for my self and in this instance the reports agree with my way of thinking. I didn't come to my opinion because of something I read, I came to it because its logical to conclude that increasing the supply of labour will increase demand for each job which gives the employers a larger choice of suitable candidates and allows them to offer a lower wage.

I also think for my self and in this instance the reports agree with my way of thinking. I didn't come to my opinion because of something I read, I came to it because its logical to conclude that increasing the supply of labour will increase demand for each job which gives the employers a larger choice of suitable candidates and allows them to offer a lower wage.

I'll look forward to seeing all the Brits lining up to do the fruit and veg picking which,at the moment, appears to be done wholly by East Europeans...

How does reading something written by Jonathan Portes help me think for myself?

If 100,000 people arrive in the UK each year with your skills, all seeking work in your field, you can be sure that your wages will fall over time unless the country needs to increase the number of people in your line of work by more than 100,000 each year, or 100,000 people in your line of work stop doing the work they do.

True.

But it keeps prices low.

Reducing cheap immigrant labour means paying a native Englishman (or Englishwoman) a living wage.

This will increase the cost of goods.

In fact, it will increase the cost of goods by so much, that only the richest members of society will be able to afford to eat.

Now, this is the same excuse used by Maggie Thatcher's flying monkeys everytime the issue of raising the minimum wage is brought up.

Strangely enough, they're utterly silent about it now.

Funny, that.

I'll look forward to seeing all the Brits lining up to do the fruit and veg picking which,at the moment, appears to be done wholly by East Europeans...

British workers did this work before the advent of cheap migrant labour and will do it again when farmers can no longer exploit cheap migrant labour.

Yes I did know that the date of the article was 2014 but as stated it was explaining why memory prices are so volatile and why they can jump quite high on occasions.

BTW you could buy 2 x 4gb DDR3L-1600 @ £37 or failing that buy 1 x 8gb one from Amazon @ £35 or get some from another source (as low £30) instead of direct from Crucial.

See how nice this leave voter is as I have just saved you money when all you needed to do is look.

Excellent.

Fabulous.

Really good work.

Now source me a 30-slot / 2-drive / LTO6 (LTO7?) backup library for under £7000.

True.

But it keeps prices low.

Reducing cheap immigrant labour means paying a native Englishman (or Englishwoman) a living wage.

This will increase the cost of goods.

In fact, it will increase the cost of goods by so much, that only the richest members of society will be able to afford to eat.

Now, this is the same excuse used by Maggie Thatcher's flying monkeys everytime the issue of raising the minimum wage is brought up.

Strangely enough, they're utterly silent about it now.

Funny, that.

True and some people will think that low wages and high levels of benefits are a price worth paying for cheap goods and services, but the low waged people producing these cheap goods and services will probably think differently, probably why so many low waged workers want immigration cut.

British workers did this work before the advent of cheap migrant labour and will do it again when farmers can no longer exploit cheap migrant labour.

The National Farmers’ Union (NFU) is seeking an urgent meeting with the Brexit minister, David Davis, to discuss special measures for migrant seasonal workers while the industry body British Summer Fruits (BSF) has warned that unless the government finds a way to keep migrants growers will sell up and move to France or elsewhere in the EU.

The £1.2bn industry relies virtually 100% on workers from Europe because British workers “do not want to get up at 6am and work on their hands and knees all day”, said Laurence Olins, chairman of BSF

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/20/brexit-farm-labour-shortages-fruit-vegetable-harvests-national-farmers-union

Edited by chalga