The consequence thread (Brexit)

As our unofficial SF EU spokesperson, I'll take your word for it. I've no idea why a country experiencing massive negative emigration of it's own people would try and stand in the way of prevention; was this yellow carding pre Brexit or post?

Post as far as I can work out. The reason these countries aren't against it is that they don't experience it as 'massive' negative emigration. They see it as a means for people to further their careers, gain life experience by working abroad and, in the case of many, to come back when they have had their fill and apply those new experiences in their own country.

There is this negative image of Eastern Europe that persists, but the reality is that a lot of young people who have worked abroad, in Germany, England, France or wherever, come back with new skills, new ideas and new language skills. Romania for example has an area around Cluj that is rapidly developing into the European tech-hub, it pushes out more digital start-ups than any other city region in the EU, most of these start-ups are started by people who have learned the trick of the trade by working abroad.

Riga in Latvia has a huge boom in tech as well, again, a lot of Latvians have taken advantage of the opportunities to study and work in other EU countries and are implementing those lessons in their home country.

Life isn't just about work, it is about more than that. The EU isn't just about work, it is about more than that. The Eastern European governments know what membership to the EU does for them. There is a reason the Ukraine dared anger mother Russia in an attempt to get similar effects.

My farmers? Why are UK farmers mine, and not 'ours', as in yours and mine?

I've got nothing to do with them,you are in the UK and part of what is going on there,including the farmers,and will be part of the consequences of how the statement they released today is dealt with.

My farmers? Why are UK farmers mine, and not 'ours', as in yours and mine?

They're not our farmers anymore.

Not since Brexit, anyway.

Their EU subsidies were paid in Euros.

Since Brexit, I expect they're now stateless.

Everybody spends money they earned where and on what they want,if you don't want money leaving the UK,get the English in their fields picking their fruit and vegetables,what is stopping them 'taking their country back',or is it just not that part of the country?

These pesky immigrant workers should not be allowed to spend their hard-earned money on what they want :nono:

That is what you're saying, right?

I always knew deep down you were a secret communist :love:

For people to say that "Brits won't get up at 6am and be on their knees all day but migrants will" is a gross over simplification of the situation. The east European migrants motivation for doing this work is the fact that the wage, paid in pounds, goes a long way in their countries, whereas it doesn't here.

For people to say that "Brits won't get up at 6am and be on their knees all day but migrants will" is a gross over simplification of the situation.

Is it?

Are the farmers forced to employ Eastern European immigrants, due to EU regulations?

Is there some EU quota they have to fill?

Oh, I see, it's the pesky EU again isn't it :roll:

I've got nothing to do with them,you are in the UK and part of what is going on there,including the farmers,and will be part of the consequences of how the statement they released today is dealt with.

You aren't in the UK then?

For people to say that "Brits won't get up at 6am and be on their knees all day but migrants will" is a gross over simplification of the situation. The east European migrants motivation for doing this work is the fact that the wage, paid in pounds, goes a long way in their countries, whereas it doesn't here.

Why would they be stigmatised,scapegoated,told that their cheap labour is not wanted then when it is wanted?

Why would they be held up as the chief reason for brexit if the English are not willing to change the situation themselves?

What are the Brexiteers going to say if the cheap labour is still coming in because the English unemployed have still not grasped the nettle and are willing to let foreigners do their jobs for them?

---------- Post added 20-07-2016 at 19:55 ----------

You aren't in the UK then?

I'm in the EU,and will be for a long,long time to come.

It's not just wages though...the fruit and veg pickers move from farm to farm over the season do you think Brits will be happy to live in caravans etc.for the season? Genuine question...

This is such a failed argument for several reasons. The key reason being that these migrant workers are having to live here. On a (likely) minimum wage. How much money does that leave at the end of the month Alan?

My relative lives in North Wales, her neighbours are Polish migrant workers, two couples that share the terrace next to her. All four work full time, for minimum wage (or now slightly above, I last spoke to them 3 years ago), the joint household income is over 45K, but all their excess income goes to two annual trips home for the four of them. They get 3 weeks a year off work.

Maybe they save around 1K per person each year, hardly going to buy them a castle in Poland, is it now?