The consequence thread (Brexit)

But of course much of the problem the UK has had was we were doing rather better than the Eurozone which is why our net immigration figures were so high.

And it all happened while we were in the EU.. Funny that isn't it?

But why would the government want to change it?

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/29/little-support-second-referendum/

The latest research from YouGov/Channel 5 shows, however, that most British people (58%) oppose holding a second referendum. This includes not only 91% of Leave voters, but also 29% of Remain voters. 11% don't know.

The current government wouldn't. It was more to show another scenario was still possible.

The only way it might happen (although I don't think it will) would be if May decided to call a snap general election (in an attempt to take advantage of Labour's disorganisation and so increase her majority), but misjudge the country so badly that Lib Dems and possibly Labour do much better than expected, by remainers voting tactically against the conservatives.

The outcome can be changed at a later date. In the future if enough of the population want to rejoin the EU and they can apply enough pressure on the government of the day to offer a new referendum, if they win we could then re-apply. For now the majority want to leave and that decision should be respected by all. Start the UKITEU party and maybe in a few years it will have the support you need.

There is no guarantee and the only certainty is we will leave the EU and I will lose the rights to live/work and freely travel within the European continent.

And it all happened while we were in the EU.. Funny that isn't it?

Yes. We were propping them up.

---------- Post added 21-07-2016 at 16:45 ----------

The current government wouldn't. It was more to show another scenario was still possible.

The only way it might happen (although I don't think it will) would be if May decided to call a snap general election (in an attempt to take advantage of Labour's disorganisation and so increase her majority), but misjudge the country so badly that Lib Dems and possibly Labour do much better than expected, by remainers voting tactically against the conservatives.

Well you might think so. But then holding a snap election would achieve 2 things.

1. It would extend the time to the following GE by a little more than a year.

2 It would result in Corbyn being ejected from the Labour leadership before he completes his task of splitting the party.

I'm not sure that Theresa May would see enough advantage from 1 to give up 2.

Labour MPs want a general election even though they know that they would get tanned, because it is the only way they will get rid of Corbyn.

The Tories are happy to complete this parliament knowing that the 2020 election will likely be contested by a Labour Party that has become 2 different parties, neither of which have a cat in hell's chance of winning. And of course in 2018 the Boundary Commission report will be completed.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/boundaries2018.html

Edited by foxy lady

Ah, so the above is British trainee doctors not "planning their futures and thinking about where they want to be in two years' time and three years' time"? :confused:

Most British doctors generally train with the idea that they will stay in the UK. The problems come, as we have seen recently, when they are forced to do long hours and have contracts forced on them. Its when they become fully qualified and good at their profession that opportunities open up in other countries to for them to consider.

This is a good point. Why have we only had a referendum on membership of the EU? If referenda are such a great way of deciding what's best for the country, why not have one on, say, renationalising the railways, energy companies and other utilities, or increasing the minimum wage to £10 an hour? Or, conversely, on mandatory life-means-life sentences for murder, or reducing unemployment benefits to zero if somebody turns down a job offer?

This link shows pretty clearly which way these votes would go (give or take any propaganda leading up to them).

We had referenda on Scottish independence and on leaving the EU and on an alternative voting system because a political party put it in their manifesto as something they would hold if they were elected.

So if you want to get a referendum on one of your chosen topics you simply have to persuade a political party to adopt the idea of holding a referendum on that policy, and then hope they get elected to power.

There is no guarantee and the only certainty is we will leave the EU and I will lose the rights to live/work and freely travel within the European continent.

That's life I'm afraid, you don't always get what you want so there will always be people that are disappointed with the outcome of a vote, I was born in a UK that wasn't part of the EU and I didn't vote to join it, but I have had to live with it.

That's life I'm afraid, you don't always get what you want so there will always be people that are disappointed with the outcome of a vote, I was born in a UK that wasn't part of the EU and I didn't vote to join it, but I have had to live with it.

Don't expect people to like it though. Especially given the benefits and opportunities that were available.

Edited by woahthere
My previous comment wasn't constructive soz

I too was born in the UK and I started working and living in Europe as well as The UK before we joined and quickly discovered the benefits of being a member after we joined. I took full advantage of being a European and Europe has been good to me and my colleagues, many of whom are still working and living there. If you failed to take advantage of the opportunitys available in Europe then don't deprive us that did.