The consequence thread (Brexit)

What prices?

You're joking right? ... Oh well, here's an example:-

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-8gb-gddr5x-vr-ready-graphics-card-2560-core-1683-mhz-gpu-1822-mhz-boos

£609 on the day of the referendum.

£709 on the monday after... now £695

A direct result of the Brexit vote.

Computer components are "just in time" stuff, so are effected quickly, you'll be noticing it in your weekly shop now or very soon.

Though to be fair, considering your "Euro" comment, perhaps you won't :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

Jesus, why don't you stick your head in the sand a bit more.

The price went up by £100 as a direct result of Brexit across *all* retailers, there is simply no denying it. It's not a one day increase, it's stayed that way for the last few weeks and it's not just one item, it's across the board.

Yeah, if you compare apples to sausages. This is the founders edition, it's not the same card, just the same chipset.

Your comparison is like comparing a basic car model to the top spec one... 'cos they're both <insert manufacturer here> innit.

You really are utterly clueless aren't you.

No, you won't be able to. For that you'd have to have a clue what you are on about and compare like for like.

The evidence is all around you and you are still unable to grasp it, could you stuff your fingers in your ears any further?

This sums you up perfectly:-

http://newsthump.com/2016/07/22/brexiter-annoyed-by-people-pointing-out-that-thing-they-were-told-would-happen-is-happening/

I don't want to get into a debate about specific items (like you have) but in general, an end to cheep as chips consumer culture wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion. No one thinks about the human cost of it, and what it has done to western society...few people treasure and appreciate things anymore; ditch all the frivolous things for a bit, and that extra £100 for the item that you REALLY want may still in your reach.

Edited by Guest

Lloyds has reacted to the damp squib;

"Lloyds Banking Group is to axe 3,000 jobs and close 200 branches as it races to cut costs in anticipation of a cut in interest rates.

"The bank is blaming a fall in the use of branches by customers and anticipated cuts to interest rates following the vote for Brexit last month for the decision to cut jobs".

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/28/lloyds-bank-to-axe-3000-jobs-and-close-200-branches

Oops,

"Lloyds Banking Group – which blamed massive job cuts and branch closures on Brexit this morning – doubled its pre-tax profits last year and has now admitted the cuts were planned long ago and have nothing to do with the referendum result."

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07/28/lloyds-bank-admits-cuts-nothing-brexit-doubles-profits-uk-booms/

I don't want to get into a debate about specific items (like you have) but in general, an end to cheep as chips consumer culture wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion. No one thinks about the human cost of it, and what it has done to western society...few people treasure and appreciate things anymore.

On that I fully agree, however that doesn't change the reality that prices *are* going up as a result of Brexit.

We haven't left or even started the process of leaving yet, when that begins (if it ever does) things are likely to get worse long before they start to get better.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-x-8gb-gddr5x-vr-ready-graphics-card-2560-core-1683-mhz-gpu-1822-mhz-boos

Can you provide detail as I doubt that to be correct?

Exactly the same card was being sold on Scan in June for £695.76 which was also reviewed by Hexus with the same price on the 17th June before brexit mania took place.

Computer components are "just in time" stuff, so are effected quickly, you'll be noticing it in your weekly shop now or very soon.

Do not waste your time attempting to show Brexiters the negative effects of the post-referendum's falling £ on imported computer components.

As you know I did the same thing earlier in this very thread here and here and the only response I got from a Brexiter was that higher prices were a positive thing, because they meant more VAT to the government (Hi apelike, hope you're okay :wave: ).

In fact, I received a far greater response from the Brexiters about my autosig :)

We've stopped eating computer chips because of that. The ones from our local chippy haven't gone up at all, and Poundland aren't changing their name to Guinealand.

So no doubt the Retail Price Index has gone off the scale. So why is Pantheon Macro projecting (post Brexit) that the annual rate of inflation could rise from 0.5% in June to above 1% in December? Just to be clear the Bank of England has a target of 2%.

Edited by foxy lady

Do not waste your time attempting to show Brexiters the negative effects of the post-referendum's falling £ on imported computer components.

As you know I did the same thing earlier in this very thread and the only response I got from a Brexiter was that higher prices were a positive thing, because they meant more VAT to the government (Hi apelike, hope you're okay :wave: ).

Fine thanks :) I though you had escaped as Berberis said "the inmates have realy taken over the asylum!"

---------- Post added 28-07-2016 at 17:14 ----------

On that I fully agree, however that doesn't change the reality that prices *are* going up as a result of Brexit.

That really should read "PC component prices *are* going up regardless of brexit," just as they have always done. So far food, clothing, and other normal everyday items that consumers buy have not gone up.

Edited by apelike