The consequence thread (Brexit)

The majority of plastic and paper goes to China.

I know of an aerospace company that has to destroy anything they wish to recycle as the chinese go through it looking for parts they can identify and then reproduce.

Paper and plastic are such a small portion of what is recycled. Not all paper goes to China either. You are not taking into consideration the vast quantities of mixed general waste that goes to be burnt as RDF or SRF. In addition to that, a significant portion of our hazardous waste is sent abroad to be incinerated with heat recovery so its classed as a recovery not a disposal. We don't have the facilities to deal with it all here is the UK. Prices will go through the roof if it has to go thorough UK hazardous waste incinerators.

Confidential destruction is something many people overlook, especially when selecting a company to 'dispose of' / recycle electronic waste WEEE.

Increased waste costs are going to affect manufacturers who in turn will have to add it to the cost of their finished products. Councils will have to pass it on to householders somehow.

A lot of domestic and business waste is sent abroad for recycling or recovery. These regs only allow movement between EU countries so I doubt they will stay open to us, we won't have a choice. I take it you don't regularly follow these consultations and regs on the EU website and various UK websites?

What makes you think we cannot export waste outside the EU?

""Paper and card

As for Prof Bates' card and paper waste, it will be squeezed into bales and taken first to DS Smith's Cambridge depot and then on to Kemsley, a total trip of 165 miles (264km). Joy Brown, of DS Smith, said: "Within two weeks, her waste paper could be back on the shelves as new packaging material."

So her recycling will not only travel the globe but will do so again and again, as it is further recycled and reincarnated by other people, in other places, into other things.""

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-35629422

What makes you think we cannot export waste outside the EU?

""Paper and card

As for Prof Bates' card and paper waste, it will be squeezed into bales and taken first to DS Smith's Cambridge depot and then on to Kemsley, a total trip of 165 miles (264km). Joy Brown, of DS Smith, said: "Within two weeks, her waste paper could be back on the shelves as new packaging material."

So her recycling will not only travel the globe but will do so again and again, as it is further recycled and reincarnated by other people, in other places, into other things.""

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-35629422

I didn't say it couldn't. If you read my posts again perhaps you may understand this time. I said there are regs set up for recycling between EU countries. If you are not an EU country these specific regs don't apply. Transfrontier shipment of waste is not 'easy'. Read the regs on TFS, look at the different waste types and different destinations and you will understand my comment.

I am aware of DS Smith and this supports my comments on quality, price and sustainability. They are not as cheap as people trying to shop the market place in China but they are reliable and their prices are more steady.

Just so you know; paper and card can't be recycled indefinitely. The fibres get shorter each time they are recycled so they amount of recycled pulp has to be kept in balance with a certain amount of virgin pulp. Some poor quality cardboard isn't accepted for recycling.

Paper and plastic are such a small portion of what is recycled. Not all paper goes to China either. You are not taking into consideration the vast quantities of mixed general waste that goes to be burnt as RDF or SRF. In addition to that, a significant portion of our hazardous waste is sent abroad to be incinerated with heat recovery so its classed as a recovery not a disposal. We don't have the facilities to deal with it all here is the UK. Prices will go through the roof if it has to go thorough UK hazardous waste incinerators.

Confidential destruction is something many people overlook, especially when selecting a company to 'dispose of' / recycle electronic waste WEEE.

Increased waste costs are going to affect manufacturers who in turn will have to add it to the cost of their finished products. Councils will have to pass it on to householders somehow.

Im unsure what information you have, but myself being related to both the persons who work for the aerospace manufacturer and one of the largest recycling business in London, I'm pretty confidant that when I'm told, china will take everything they wish to recycle, it's pretty accurate.

Im unsure what information you have, but myself being related to both the persons who work for the aerospace manufacturer and one of the largest recycling business in London, I'm pretty confidant that when I'm told, china will take everything they wish to recycle, it's pretty accurate.

LOL.....:hihi: I guess you know more than me then ;). I'm 'only' a chartered waste manager with thirty three years experience in the industry running my own waste company.

Is your own waste management company larger than Powerday PLC?

You are being silly now. :hihi: This is supposed to be a serious conversation not a dummy spitting contest.

I've just had a look at the company you are talking about. From their website it looks as though they only deal with non hazardous dry waste not hazardous chemicals. They wouldn't deal with the regs for TFS of hazardous waste abroad for recovery although they could use TFS for RDF/SRF.

Edited by Chez2

One other benefit of Leaving: the power of large firms and Governmental bodies to opt for purchase of UK-made goods.

And for the large companies and governments still within the EU to totally ignore the UK based suppliers and to only buy from within. Protectionism works two ways. If there's something you can make yourself, efficiently, then that's OK (but it was OK when in the EU anyway), but where we are a little less efficient or competent, we will lose the opportunity to complete and develop and improve. We will just degenerate within our own little inefficient marketplace.

Edited by Eater Sundae

One other benefit of Leaving: the power of large firms and Governmental bodies to opt for purchase of UK-made goods.

Which was a wonderful little dream until you woke up and realised the negotiating team for Brexit is a shower of extreme free marketeers who would sell their souls to the Chinese government if there was profit in it.

Wake up. It's not a dream any more. Deal with the reality.