The consequence thread (Brexit)

The odds are that the next government will most certainly be another coalition and it would not surprise me if that is next year.

The odds favour a 2020 election, I was just looking at that today, I would put money on anyone other than the Conservatives.

Yes I can read and you seem to have skipped over the bit that says "citation needed." You will also notice that on other wiki pages and in other articles it states that the AV referendum was also advisory and as that is correct no citation is needed to back it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_in_the_United_Kingdom

Or course its not hard to understand when you realise that it does not need to be overturned only amended just like other Acts are, because of that there is nothing to get around. Repealing the whole act would create chaos not only in the UK but in the EU as too many laws that are integrated now depend on it. In those cases it is normal to amend an Act not destroy it.

Of course its not unprecedented as the referendum was advisory and the government can ignore the result. The question now is.. will they? What happens in other countries in the EU has no bearing on the past referendum.

Your idiocy knows no bounds. The AV referendum was legally binding.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament

"An exception was the 2011 referendum on changing the electoral system to alternative vote, where the relevant legislation obligated the government to change the law to reflect a “yes” vote had that occurred. No such provision was contained within the EU referendum legislation."

Edited by ez8004

The odds favour a 2020 election, I was just looking at that today, I would put money on anyone other than the Conservatives.

LibDems are running on a remain in the EU ticket, so it'll be interesting to see if that gains any traction, I suspect it will. Whether that'll be enough remains to be seen.

What happened between 1997 and 2010 then?

Sorry for the late reply Alan, I was having my tea; you didn't stump me.

I said it favoured the Conservatives. I didn't say it guaranteed victory.

Oh, and between '97 and 2010 the Scots were voting Labour. Not anymore old boy.

:)

Sorry for the late reply Alan, I was having my tea; you didn't stump me.

I said it favoured the Conservatives. I didn't say it guaranteed victory.

Oh, and between '97 and 2010 the Scots were voting Labour. Not anymore old boy.

:)

I thought that the current system in effect favours Labour, in as much as they require fewer votes for each seat, on average, than do the conservatives.

LibDems are running on a remain in the EU ticket, so it'll be interesting to see if that gains any traction, I suspect it will. Whether that'll be enough remains to be seen.

The Liberal Democrats are doing really well in small by-elections around the country, it will be interesting to see how things pan out.