The consequence thread (Brexit)

In the run up to the vote we were bombarded with media coverage of all that was going wrong in the EU: refugees turning up in their thousands, rioting in Greece, bank bailouts, the intransigence of the commisioners, and so on. Very little that would encourage us to want to stay in Europe. Since the vote, not a peep about what's going on.

Of course remainers are worried, they've forgotten why a lot of folk voted out in the first place. If we saw again images of the circus that is the EU, we would be a lot more inclined to be glad to be out.

They haven't "forgotten" they just didn't fall for the leave supporting media spin like leave voters. :roll:

---------- Post added 22-08-2016 at 07:39 ----------

Fair comment. But also have you noticed that since we voted out, we hear next to nothing of what's going on in the EU. Have all the migrants stopped coming? Have the riots in Greece suddenly stopped? We never hear much about it now do we.....?

Migrants?

Do you mean the refugee's from a vicious civil war?

---------- Post added 22-08-2016 at 07:41 ----------

I believe the EU is one of the worst for red tape and legislation around trade deals. They have to find agreement with 23 different countries for a start which leads to endless amendments and timewasting.

We may well find it much easier to deal with countries outside the EU, and they with us, once we are out of it.

It's like you live in some kind of dream world.

Have you tried to get a builder (or joiner or similar) recently (particularly for a smaller job) ? I remember last year trying to get a landscape gardener, one didn`t even bother getting back to me with a quote, one quoted but (very annoyingly) didn`t turn up, and the last one, who got the job quoted very high and took twice as long to do it as I expected. It prompted this thread last September.

I`m going by my own experience here, not hearsay.

I`ve just heard of an even worse example of the tradesmen shortage, one which very much reflects my own problems. A friend of mine knows someone in Chesterfield who needs a boundary wall rebuilding, it`s about 4ft high and 20ft long. Quite a straight forward job you`d have thought. He`s enquired with four builders, three never even bothered getting back to him, the one that did quoted £3000 !

Forget making it harder for EU citiszens to come over here, only an idiot (or someone in a rented property ! ) would want that, WE NEED MORE EU TRADESMEN OVER HERE ! ! NOW ! !

Of course remainers are worried, they've forgotten why a lot of folk voted out in the first place.
I'm afraid there seems to be a logic disconnect in the above. Why would remainers be worried, about something which they've forgotten? :huh::confused:

If we saw again images of the circus that is the EU, we would be a lot more inclined to be glad to be out.
We're not scheduled to actually be out until 2019. Just thought you'd like to know :)

In the run up to the vote we were bombarded with media coverage of all that was going wrong in the EU: refugees turning up in their thousands, rioting in Greece, bank bailouts, the intransigence of the commisioners, and so on. Very little that would encourage us to want to stay in Europe. Since the vote, not a peep about what's going on.
Was that loud 'thud' that set off my earthquake-meter your media-induced blinkers finally coming off? :twisted:

Of course remainers are worried, they've forgotten why a lot of folk voted out in the first place. If we saw again images of the circus that is the EU, we would be a lot more inclined to be glad to be out.

How come at the very least half the papers I looked at on the run up (and on the day) were staunch brexit? Were they using reverse psychology?

How come at the very least half the papers I looked at on the run up (and on the day) were staunch brexit? Were they using reverse psychology?

The situation in the EU has been worsening for a long time. Not just in the run up to the vote. It was clear it was in serious trouble on several fronts years ago, and yet still refuses to change its ways.

Why do remainers seem to ignore this, and why would they want to remain part of a failing entity? That's the point.

The situation in the EU has been worsening for a long time. Not just in the run up to the vote. It was clear it was in serious trouble on several fronts years ago, and yet still refuses to change its ways.

Why do remainers seem to ignore this, and why would they want to remain part of a failing entity? That's the point.

Your mate J.C. wanted in..

I wanted to stay in to change a failing entity. When we sign up the EEA (which we absolutely will) we will pay a large chunk of money, follow most of the rules and have no say at all. Not just a lose lose, but a lose lose lose.

You've totally ignored the first point btw.

I`ve just heard of an even worse example of the tradesmen shortage, one which very much reflects my own problems. A friend of mine knows someone in Chesterfield who needs a boundary wall rebuilding, it`s about 4ft high and 20ft long. Quite a straight forward job you`d have thought. He`s enquired with four builders, three never even bothered getting back to him, the one that did quoted £3000 !

Forget making it harder for EU citiszens to come over here, only an idiot (or someone in a rented property ! ) would want that, WE NEED MORE EU TRADESMEN OVER HERE ! ! NOW ! !

My next door neighbours cousin knows somebody who's sisters boyfriends got a mate who works with a woman who's first husbands father in law has got a nephew who's a bricklayer looking for work.

NO IT HASN'T.

Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it is.