The consequence thread (Brexit)

I`ve just heard of an even worse example of the tradesmen shortage, one which very much reflects my own problems. A friend of mine knows someone in Chesterfield who needs a boundary wall rebuilding, it`s about 4ft high and 20ft long. Quite a straight forward job you`d have thought. He`s enquired with four builders, three never even bothered getting back to him, the one that did quoted £3000 !

Forget making it harder for EU citiszens to come over here, only an idiot (or someone in a rented property ! ) would want that, WE NEED MORE EU TRADESMEN OVER HERE ! ! NOW ! !

What! Really? All those Audi, BMW and Mercedes driving tradesmen on our roads?

Are you sure?

Could your 'irateometre' take it.

Would we have to put up with another of your long " research" epilogues vis a vis German cars?

I know I couldn't take it.

---------- Post added 22-08-2016 at 16:37 ----------

NO IT HASN'T.

Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it is.

Yes it does.

Well it seems to work for remainers anyway. You know, repeat ad nauseum that we are all doomed.

Not ' this is where we are at. Let's get on with it'.

Yes it does.

Well it seems to work for remainers anyway. You know, repeat ad nauseum that we are all doomed.

Not ' this is where we are at. Let's get on with it'.

Wait, so it is alright if a Brexiteer spouts nonsense, but not if a Remainer does so? Spouting nonsense is spouting nonsense, correct?

The situation in the EU has been worsening for a long time. Not just in the run up to the vote. It was clear it was in serious trouble on several fronts years ago, and yet still refuses to change its ways.

Why do remainers seem to ignore this, and why would they want to remain part of a failing entity? That's the point.

I don't think you will find many remainers who would give unqualified support to the EU. Maybe only factions of the LibDems and SNP.

Just about everybody knows it needs to reform.

I`ve just heard of an even worse example of the tradesmen shortage, one which very much reflects my own problems. A friend of mine knows someone in Chesterfield who needs a boundary wall rebuilding, it`s about 4ft high and 20ft long. Quite a straight forward job you`d have thought. He`s enquired with four builders, three never even bothered getting back to him, the one that did quoted £3000 !

Forget making it harder for EU citiszens to come over here, only an idiot (or someone in a rented property ! ) would want that, WE NEED MORE EU TRADESMEN OVER HERE ! ! NOW ! !

what's the wall made of? how thick is it? what's the land like?

how much did you expect to pay?

and on a more serious note, is the boundary wall maintenance in your friend's friend's deeds?

I don't think you will find many remainers who would give unqualified support to the EU. Maybe only factions of the LibDems and SNP.

Correct, and even within the LibDem hardcore there is plenty of realisation that there is a strong need for reform. The only solace I have in all this is that at least the pesky kid in the back of the room has signalled they are dropping out of school.

Everybody except the EU Commissioners it seems.

Isn't that the problem? They simply refuse to reform. Full stop.

The Commission has spoken in favour of reform for a while now, Brexit made the noise louder. The EU Parliament is as well. Of course, you could know that, for example by watching the BBC 6 o'clock news tonight.

I think the people who are leading the EU are possibly the worst that could have been in place at this time: Juncker, Shulz etc... They've had a happy few years bossing the show between them, beating up on the smaller countries, ignoring the needs of smaller countries in favour of the core, especially Germany. They do have an autocratic inflexible air about them and thats not healthy. Their vision for the EU is totally not what we want in the UK. Not going to argue with anybody who argues similar.

It's not enough to persuade me to want to leave though because I think their impact on us has been massively overstated as we have pretty successfully travelled our own path and they will be gone soon enough. History. The problem with Brexit is how final it is and I don't think we're ready for it.

My next door neighbours cousin knows somebody who's sisters boyfriends got a mate who works with a woman who's first husbands father in law has got a nephew who's a bricklayer looking for work.

What! Really? All those Audi, BMW and Mercedes driving tradesmen on our roads?

Are you sure?

Could your 'irateometre' take it.

Would we have to put up with another of your long " research" epilogues vis a vis German cars?

I know I couldn't take it.

My research in this area is experience over the last 30 odd years, trying to get tradesmen for my house, my shop and the 2 flats over it, plus talking to friends, relatives, work colleagues etc. I can`t honestly believe that anyone would dispute that it`s very difficult to find a decent tradesman, particularly one who shows any great enthusiasm to get the work. Actually, we had some doors and windows fitted recently, he was reasonably professional and keen to get the job (if anyone wants his number PM me), but the fact he stands out rather proves my point. The point being there`s a shortage of tradesmen in the country, so what do we do ? Make it harder to get any in from abroad. To me that`s crazy.

Addition, the forth plumber never turned up, when I phoned him he said he was busy and couldn`t make it today (though he never phoned me to say, a bit discourteous/unprofessional methinks......), but he "can`t do the job till October anyway". Where are all these Polish plumbers when you want one ? ! ?

---------- Post added 23-08-2016 at 10:36 ----------

what's the wall made of? how thick is it? what's the land like?

how much did you expect to pay?

and on a more serious note, is the boundary wall maintenance in your friend's friend's deeds?

Not sure, but the point is only one of the three builders he contacted even bothered to turn up. That tells its own story.

Edited by Justin Smith