The consequence thread (Brexit)

Democracy cannot be a matter a making us vote repeatedly on the same issue until they get the answer they want.

The pro-remain state campaigned with taxpayers' money, refused to publish plans for Brecit before the vote and controlled the timing to maximise their chances. They still lost. They don't get s do-over.

Really, because that is precisely what Farage was gearing up to demand if the Brexiters lost.

Democracy, real democracy, allows for the opportunity to reverse bad decisions.

Really, because that is precisely what Farage was gearing up to demand if the Brexiters lost.

Democracy, real democracy, allows for the opportunity to reverse bad decisions.

Farage is a fool.

Democracy means accepting the will of the people. Not sending them out yo vote again if you don't like the result.

Farage is a fool.

Democracy means accepting the will of the people. Not sending them out yo vote again if you don't like the result.

How is calling another referendum to reverse a bad decision not democratic?

Didn't answer the question.

I've been learning from you. :)

---------- Post added 24-08-2016 at 22:22 ----------

Farage is a fool.

Another referendum shouldn't be a problem for you...exit is such a good thing how could anyone change their mind and vote against it...?

How is calling another referendum to reverse a bad decision not democratic?

:roll: well of course the referendum result being a "bad decision" is a massive matter of opinion.

. The political reality is what matters. We voted you lost.

I knew that we'd agree on something eventually, however, I'm not sure that you've thought through the political reality bit properly.

This isn't a football match that you can win 4-3. This is a democracy where almost half of the voters voted to stay in the EU. Granted, just over half voted the other way.

So, now we need a way to satisfy both sets of voters.

I can see from your posting style that you fervently believe that he who shouts loudest should be listened to most carefully. But, here is the news... that's not true. We now need a process that involves and satisfies the 48%, especially as many of them are the engine of prosperity in this country.

So, this isn't about winners and losers. It is about ensuring that democracy retains credibility. We may yet exit the EU, but if we do, that must be in a way that is acceptable to a large proportion of the 48%, anything else would be a travesty.

So, I didn't lose, along with the rest of the 48%. I just voted narrowly for something different. Better in my opinion, but let's see what comes next.

I really don't accept the crowing and bullying from the leavers though. You just don't have a mandate to do that.

"A new bill to repeal the 1972 European Communities Act that took Britain into the EU must now be passed by parliament"

Not necessarily and as stated before to repeal the whole act would render all the laws in the 1972 act to be invalid overnight thus creating legal chaos, which I'm sure the learned QC already knows. Many of those laws are now deeply embedded in our legal framework. It is possible and a more probable outcome just to amend the offending bits, subject to negotiations, after A50 has been triggered. If you read the act you will notice that it has been amended many times in the past to introduce new laws into it since 1972. Those amendments did not require another act of Parliament to be carried out as the Government already has legislation in place to just amend them.

But having said that, to repeal the whole act would require an act of Parliament.