The consequence thread (Brexit)

Not necessarily and as stated before to repeal the whole act would render all the laws in the 1972 act to be invalid overnight thus creating legal chaos, which I'm sure the learned QC already knows. Many of those laws are now deeply embedded in our legal framework. It is possible and a more probable outcome just to amend the offending bits, subject to negotiations, after A50 has been triggered. If you read the act you will notice that it has been amended many times in the past to introduce new laws into it since 1972. Those amendments did not require another act of Parliament to be carried out as the Government already has legislation in place to just amend them.

But having said that, to repeal the whole act would require an act of Parliament.

It will have to go to parliament. Royal prerogative based on a technicality for such an important event would be political suicide. May knows this. In fact the way it gets triggered is going to be the biggest battleground in the Tory party in a few months and the right wing of the party will threaten to destroy her as PM in order to try and force her to use royal prerogative.

I'm well aware of the legal status of referenda under uk law. The political reality is what matters. We voted you lost. There will be much lawyering and posturing. That's normal. It's still over. Get used to it.

How does that attitude square with "let`s all unite" ?

Answer it doesn`t.

Basically, most of these Brexiteers who say "we should all unite" actually mean exactly what unbeliever has just said, all those who may be upset we may be leaving the EU should just accept it, we`ve nothing to give you. But "unite" implies doing something to mollify the other side.

On an earlier point, unbeliever said he "didn`t want to be an EU citizen", I assume he meant he didn`t want to take advantage of the right to travel and live I any other country. But he doesn`t have to use those benefits if he doesn`t want to....... So what exactly did he mean by he doesn`t want to be an EU citizen ?

Edited by Justin Smith

It will have to go to parliament. Royal prerogative based on a technicality for such an important event would be political suicide. May knows this. In fact the way it gets triggered is going to be the biggest battleground in the Tory party in a few months and the right wing of the party will threaten to destroy her as PM in order to try and force her to use royal prerogative.

I am genuinely surprised at how flippant a lot of people are about the how Article 50 is triggered. If the PM triggers Article 50 using her prerogative powers only to find later that it was unconstitutional to do so, you know it doesn't count right? Since the Lisbon Treaty specifically states that the triggering of Article 50 must be constiutional for that country. So let the judges decide and if a new parliamentary vote is required, then so be it.

I knew that we'd agree on something eventually, however, I'm not sure that you've thought through the political reality bit properly.

This isn't a football match that you can win 4-3. This is a democracy where almost half of the voters voted to stay in the EU. Granted, just over half voted the other way.

So, now we need a way to satisfy both sets of voters.

I can see from your posting style that you fervently believe that he who shouts loudest should be listened to most carefully. But, here is the news... that's not true. We now need a process that involves and satisfies the 48%, especially as many of them are the engine of prosperity in this country.

So, this isn't about winners and losers. It is about ensuring that democracy retains credibility. We may yet exit the EU, but if we do, that must be in a way that is acceptable to a large proportion of the 48%, anything else would be a travesty.

So, I didn't lose, along with the rest of the 48%. I just voted narrowly for something different. Better in my opinion, but let's see what comes next.

I really don't accept the crowing and bullying from the leavers though. You just don't have a mandate to do that.

Here's some food for thought for you....Just looking at England, which is obviously by far the largest constituent part of the UK, the difference between Leave and remain was a whopping 7%.

......whilst removing all jurisdiction of EU institutions over the UK. ......

you do realise that that is unachievable unless you want to end all contact with the EU don't you?

whatever trade deal we come to will mean accepting the decision of EU institutions regarding the goods and services we sell into the EU.

cross border co-operation on things like climate change, security, research etc will involve interacting with the EU institutions

Edit:

A big thing which no one is talking about is the customs union, this reduces the paperwork when shipping stuff across the EU. If you are wanting to walk away from that then there is a massive added cost for businesses (on both sides) because someone will need to be employed to handle the extra paperwork.

---------- Post added 25-08-2016 at 22:47 ----------

Here's some food for thought for you....Just looking at England, which is obviously by far the largest constituent part of the UK, the difference between Leave and remain was a whopping 7%.

hardly whopping

and you seem to imply that the wishes of those in scotland, wales and northern ireland are meaningless and they should do what england says.

Edited by andyofborg

I hadn't realised how much uk currency had dropped since brexit. I've got an app called XE currency, it, as you'd expect, tracks exchange rates. I've a few transactions coming up in foreign currency (USD, Rupees) and I've been shocked at what I've looked at. Since brexit, I've caught the odd headline in the mail etc assuring us it's bounced back - it really hasn't. Download the app - it does, week, one month, 3 month a year and 5 years - all in handy dandy graphs.

Eye opening.

I hadn't realised how much uk currency had dropped since brexit. I've got an app called XE currency, it, as you'd expect, tracks exchange rates. I've a few transactions coming up in foreign currency (USD, Rupees) and I've been shocked at what I've looked at. Since brexit, I've caught the odd headline in the mail etc assuring us it's bounced back - it really hasn't. Download the app - it does, week, one month, 3 month a year and 5 years - all in handy dandy graphs.

Eye opening.

indeed

it may be that this represents the new future value of sterling, it will bounce up and down but on average it will be roughly where it is now.

as with any currency movement there are winners (exporters) and losers (importers)

oil is priced in dollars and the price of oil feeds into pretty much everything so a falling pound isn't a good thing, the only saving grace is that the price of oil has collapsed faster and further than sterling.

a more subtle thing is that the uk was (we might not be after the negotiations finish) part of a global supply network, we import components, put them together to form larger sub-assemblies and then export them to be put together into bigger things by someone else. if you're doing this on a small margin, you may or may not be stuffed and that's not taking into account the results of negotiations on the single market, customs union and to a degree the common air space.