The consequence thread (Brexit)

That is very true; but it may be that the things they are importing could be made/grown at just 2% above the foreign price. So once prices have risen it will stimulate UK local production.

That will take years to happen. We don't have latent capacity to produce extra replacements and in many cases the substitute products don't get manufactured or produced here anyway.

It may be that long-term we could ramp up but people will probably have to change their tastes and habits. Even then you are looking at a tenuous argument that posits we could actually produce things more cheaply here than importing them, and even then you would have to counter the ultra free marketeers impulse to just import from countries with low production costs.

Looking at food as an example why don't you invest £100 on a cheap return flight to Oslo and spend a few hours looking around the Oslo supermarkets. You will be stunned at the prices of what they have to import, and by the often appalling quality.

I think the Brexiters inhabit a fantasy world. You have no idea what you have voted for.

That is very true; but it may be that the things they are importing could be made/grown at just 2% above the foreign price. So once prices have risen it will stimulate UK local production.

Highly unlikely, in the case that they need labour, our labour costs are massively higher than less developed countries.

And in the case where it's more about capabilities, economies of scale apply, if there were a business opportunity to produce and sell the components then someone would already be exploiting it.

---------- Post added 28-08-2016 at 10:52 ----------

I'm not a businessman but surely if you put your prices up customers will eventually stop buying from you, you will stop buying from your supplier so your supplier has to either (a) reduce prices or ( b) go out of business.

P.s. Why did he put up his prices in the first place?

Whether people stop buying from you is a question of several parts.

Firstly, do you have competitors who haven't put up prices (answer, probably not, because the price increase is coming from the large suppliers originally).

Two, is the demand elastic or static. Ie, is it highly discretionary spend that people can just put off because it's now 10% more expensive. Some things, like food staples, are not very elastic, people feel like they have to buy them so a price increase doesn't reduce sales by much.

---------- Post added 28-08-2016 at 10:54 ----------

Justin sells and installs aerials, if someone NEEDS a new aerial, because the old one has come down in the wind or something, then for most people that won't be very elastic, they'll shop around a bit, find out the price and pay it.

I don't suppose many people install a new aerial just because they fancy it, so I'd expect that the price increase won't have much of an impact, so long as his competitors are also passing it on.

---------- Post added 28-08-2016 at 10:57 ----------

If this thread demonstrates anything, it's the mentality of leave voters. They continue to refuse to believe that an exit will be damaging, or they reject the views of experts about it, or they cherry pick nonsense about supermarket rollbacks.

Or they seem to find it amusing that they've voted for something highly destructive.

The ironic thing is, that not being very bright, they're the ones who are likely to suffer first, most and for longer. They really are turkeys that have voted for Christmas.

Highly unlikely, in the case that they need labour, our labour costs are massively higher than less developed countries.

And in the case where it's more about capabilities, economies of scale apply, if there were a business opportunity to produce and sell the components then someone would already be exploiting it.

Firstly, do you have competitors who haven't put up prices (answer, probably not, because the price increase is coming from the large suppliers originally).

Two, is the demand elastic or static. Ie, is it highly discretionary spend that people can just put off because it's now 10% more expensive. Some things, like food staples, are not very elastic, people feel like they have to buy them so a price increase doesn't reduce sales by much.

Justin sells and installs aerials, if someone NEEDS a new aerial, because the old one has come down in the wind or something, then for most people that won't be very elastic, they'll shop around a bit, find out the price and pay it.

I don't suppose many people install a new aerial just because they fancy it, so I'd expect that the price increase won't have much of an impact, so long as his competitors are also passing it on.

If this thread demonstrates anything, it's the mentality of leave voters. They continue to refuse to believe that an exit will be damaging, or they reject the views of experts about it, or they cherry pick nonsense about supermarket rollbacks.

Or they seem to find it amusing that they've voted for something highly destructive.

The ironic thing is, that not being very bright, they're the ones who are likely to suffer first, most and for longer. They really are turkeys that have voted for Christmas.

Yep they are the first ones into the lifeboat, don't forget to shout for Jack as the EU ship sinks.

And in the case where it's more about capabilities, economies of scale apply, if there were a business opportunity to produce and sell the components then someone would already be exploiting it..

Sony and Phillips TVs (made in South Wales and England) will benefit from foreign imports being more expensive, I am sure they were not working to 100% production pre-referendum.

Sony and Phillips TVs (made in South Wales and England) will benefit from foreign imports being more expensive, I am sure they were not working to 100% production pre-referendum.

They might be assembled there but the vast majority of parts, including the most expensive, the actual screen, are imported. Fortunately for the workers there the fall in the pound means they will earn less which compensates for that fact a little.

gosh, you must have picked on as a child. I ask Justin a straight forward question to which he gave me a straight answer.

But you felt you needed to jump in and insult me and anyone else that hasn't voted the same way as you.

What gives you the right? You don't know me. You don't know my history. You know nothing about me.

But I wish you peace and eternal happiness.

I ask Justin a straight forward question to which he gave me a straight answer.

But you felt you needed to jump in and insult me and anyone else that hasn't voted the same way as you.

Don't worry as it seems a common trend with the remain voters. In fact just before you posted this I was going through the replies and compiling the insults given out, and yes it is indeed so far all coming from the remain camp.

Don't worry as it seems a common trend with the remain voters. In fact just before you posted this I was going through the replies and compiling the insults given out, and yes it is indeed so far all coming from the remain camp.

If calling you wrong is insulting then ok. I have insulted you in that case.

Edited by ez8004

If calling you wrong is insulting ok. I have insulted you a lot in that case.

No calling me wrong is no problem but being called an idiot is the insult. ;)

Quote your post 3902 "Your idiocy knows no bounds."

As Socrates once said;

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

No calling me wrong is no problem but being called an idiot is the insult. ;)

Quote your post 3902 "Your idiocy knows no bounds."

As Socrates once said;

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”

You just described the official leave campaign. Well done.