The consequence thread (Brexit)

Remainers admitting they were wrong, who'd have thought it,

"Brexit voters are NOT racist': Leading Remainers finally admit they were WRONG on immigration and 'ducked the debate' during the referendum"

"Writing in The Sunday Times, the MPs said: ‘June 23 was a moment of change. The strength of feeling is clear. Free movement of people cannot continue as it has done. It has to be reformed."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3763156/Brexit-voters-NOT-racist-Leading-Remainers-finally-admit-WRONG-immigration-ducked-debate-referendum.html#ixzz4IkD7Jn3u

The Remain campaign was very poor. The big missed opportunity was stressing that EU immigrants can`t actually sign on (is it for at least 6 months ?). I never heard any of that in the campaign, so we had tens of millions of ill informed voters thinking EU citizens can come here and "start claiming out benefits straight away". Apparently the Remain campaign deliberately didn`t use the 6 month time limit because they wanted to get off the subject of immigration and focus entirely on the economy. They just didn`t get it, for most Leave voters it was all about immigration, and the ignorant assumption people were "coming here to sign on and nick our council houses", I heard that more than once from some Leave supporters. So now we may well be leaving the EU, a result that is shocking. I know of at least two voters who voted leave but never really thought it would happen, and may not have voted as they did with the benefit of hindsight.

Edited by Justin Smith

Looks like TTIP is on the ropes in Europe.

So much for the only way to avoid was to Brexit... I'll wager we'll get something even more draconian in the end.

Yep, it has been impossible for a year now, too many countries in the EU were fundamentally against it. The UK was actually driving it on and decided to Brexit. That leaves May to get a 'wonderful!' trade-deal with the US.

Different topic - the Bank of England has announced a significant drop in the number of mortgages issued and in new credit-arrangements (mainly for cars and other significant purchases).

Bad news all around, but hey, at least we have our independence...

Yep, it has been impossible for a year now, too many countries in the EU were fundamentally against it. The UK was actually driving it on and decided to Brexit. That leaves May to get a 'wonderful!' trade-deal with the US.

Different topic - the Bank of England has announced a significant drop in the number of mortgages issued and in new credit-arrangements (mainly for cars and other significant purchases).

Bad news all around, but hey, at least we have our independence...

So are we back to interpreting every little economic statistic as supporting our Brexit viewpoints, or are we on wait and see. Can't really have it both ways.

So are we back to interpreting every little economic statistic as supporting our Brexit viewpoints, or are we on wait and see. Can't really have it both ways.

Hang on, aren't you quick to point out that the consequences of Art50 being invoked haven't happened, despite Art50 so far not being invoked (if it ever is).

Edited by Magilla

Little? 10% fewer mortgages and 400 billion (25%) less borrowed for other credit purchases compared to the pre-Brexit period is not little. I did indeed state we should wait and see, I am seeing these figures and so are you if you look them up (I read about it in the FT, which is behind a paywall, so no point in linking).

These sort of declines are not unprecedented, they are however clear waypoints en-route to a recession.

Little? 10% fewer mortgages and 400 billion (25%) less borrowed for other credit purchases compared to the pre-Brexit period is not little. I did indeed state we should wait and see, I am seeing these figures and so are you if you look them up (I read about it in the FT, which is behind a paywall, so no point in linking).

These sort of declines are not unprecedented, they are however clear waypoints en-route to a recession.

Good.

A mortgage for a home, perhaps a car, fair enough, but in general we need to be much less of a credit/debt driven society.

Good.

A mortgage for a home, perhaps a car, fair enough, but in general we need to be much less of a credit/debt driven society.

I agree wholeheartedly. I take it you do accept that pulling the plug on cheap money (don't forget we have historically low interest rates and these figures STILL plummeted) is going to come with an enormous readjustment of wealth in this country.

To put it simple - everybody is going to be a hell of a lot poorer.