The consequence thread (Brexit)

Not being able to afford a laptop and other gadgets wouldn't be the end of my world.

You can't really claim the moral high ground on outsourcing on your Chinese computer. And your computer is Chinese. I don't care what brand it is, it's made by Foxconn.

We can all look around for a story to suit our needs :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37242804

And lets face it, interest on savings, especially Isa,s have been abysmal for at least ten years.

The only decent return you have been able to get is if you have a few hundred thousand to tie up for five years or so.

Edited by monkey104

We can all look around for a story to suit our needs :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37242804

And lets face it, interest on savings, especially Isa,s have been abysmal for at least ten years.

The only decent return you have been able to get is if you have a few hundred thousand to tie up for five years or so.

When the pound is above the place it was before Brexit, then you can crow about it, but while it is still so low and performing worse than the Argentine peso, there is nothing to smile about.

Lets also put this in context.

UK Interest rates have been the same for almost 7 years. Being set at 0.5% back in 2009. Post Brexit they are reduced even further to 0.25% with the possibility of even further cuts and the distinct possibility of negative interest rates in the future.

Meanwhile, The GB Pound drops 30% against the US Dollar after the vote to leave the EU, but in a single days trading a jump of less than 0.9% is something to celebrate, ignoring the fact that the Pound has dropped this amount in the previous weeks anyway. Meaning the Pound is still lower than it was a month ago. :loopy:

Edited by Berberis

When the pound is above the place it was before Brexit, then you can crow about it, but while it is still so low and performing worse than the Argentine peso, there is nothing to smile about.

Lets also put this in context.

UK Interest rates have been the same for almost 7 years. Being set at 0.5% back in 2009. Post Brexit they are reduced even further to 0.25% with the possibility of even further cuts and the distinct possibility of negative interest rates in the future.

Meanwhile, The GB Pound drops 30% against the US Dollar after the vote to leave the EU, but in a single days trading a jump of less than 0.9% is something to celebrate, ignoring the fact that the Pound has dropped this amount in the previous weeks anyway. Meaning the Pound is still lower than it was a month ago. :loopy:

Ah well fella, you crack on crying in your drink. Me, I will put my trust in to our elected politicians to carry out the electorates wishes knowing that we are a prosperous country and if things do get tight for a while we will have a hell of a long way to go before we are waiting at the tip in order to sort rubbish to make a living.

Please feel free to carry on scouting for more bad news to make your point in order to keep the pessimism flowing.

I'm not sure what this is :loopy: but hey ho!

Ah well fella, you crack on crying in your drink. Me, I will put my trust in to our elected politicians to carry out the electorates wishes knowing that we are a prosperous country and if things do get tight for a while we will have a hell of a long way to go before we are waiting at the tip in order to sort rubbish to make a living.

Please feel free to carry on scouting for more bad news to make your point in order to keep the pessimism flowing.

I'm not sure what this is :loopy: but hey ho!

Im not crying. I accept the result. However, you do seem to be fit the stereotype of the Brexit voter.

Which is what you'd expect after a stupendous fall in the pound...... we were at 1.43 before the referendum and you think a little spike up to just 1.32 is good?

Manufacuring is up as our labour is cheaper. But import costs are higher. I suspect stock inventory is falling and being used up.

As for pounds and ounces can we please not go back to Fred Flintstone units. Even the Albanians use kilos now.

Which is what you'd expect after a stupendous fall in the pound...... we were at 1.43 before the referendum and you think a little spike up to just 1.32 is good?
There was a 1.32 spike on 26 August. Looks like it lasted about a day.

1.55 this day last year. Picture paints 1,000 words. Just select alternative currency if you feel like it, they all show the same profile.

Reasonably steady Sept 15 to Dec 15/Jan 16, doldrums start Feb 16 as referendum is announced and continue slowly as the date nears (but for a marginal rally in late May-early June), over the cliffside in late June, dead-cat bouncing since.

We can talk about the "end of the beginning" if the 1.32 holds for a couple of weeks, I suppose. Until then, it's a statistically-insignificant blip I'm afraid. GBP is holding by the skin of its teeth until May brings in the Article 50 declaration. When she does, expect a new trip over the cliffside.