The consequence thread (Brexit)

Interesting that a Select Committe report that states

"It would be constitutionally inappropriate, not to mention setting a disturbing precedent, for the Executive to act on an advisory referendum without explicit parliamentary approval—particularly one with such significant long-term consequences. The Government should not trigger Article 50 without consulting Parliament."

has been ignored by the group of 'experts' in the forum.

The 'constitutionality' (procedural regularity under Statute, since the UK has no constitution) of bypassing Parliament when triggering Article 50 has been debated to death on here, both pre- and post-referendum.

The Select Committee is not wrong, either.

Think beyond the Brexit context, and ask yourself whether the UK moving from a parliamentary democracy to a plebiscitary democracy would be a good thing?

Some brief writings on this last notion, for your reading pleasure :)

Edited by L00b
late correction of typo and additional link

Nothing I can disagree with there. You're probably right about a latter-day Captain Swing, though I'm not sure exactly what his modern equivalent would be. His middle class supporters would probably have been Remainers however, people like Paul Mason or Yanis Varoufakis, on the grounds that a stand-alone UK government is likely to be even more neoliberal than the EU.

I think the Captain would also have been disappointed if he voted Leave in the hope that Brexit would protect his cultural heritage against the ravages of immigration. Mrs May has said outright (or as forthrightly as politicians' language will allow) that she's not going to implement a points-based system for EU migrants. And while she says that she "acknowledges" that many Leave voters were asking for curbs on immigration, she pointedly didn't say that she was going to try and impose any curbs. A bit like a complaints department saying how much they "value your feedback as a respected customer".

In fact, hopes of protecting the Captain's cultural heritage may have been dashed even if a points-based system had been implemented. There isn't a points-based system anywhere in the world that scores any points for cultural heritage, nor for historical or family ties for that matter. The criteria are always purely economic. So, even in that case, the outcome for the Captain may have been, from the Remainers' viewpoint, "condign", as erstwhile forum stalwart LordChaverly might have put it.

As usual, you make very thoughtful and cogent points, so I can't disagree with you either.

It is true that the criteria for immigration controls tend to be economic, although there are some exceptions to this (Israel and Japan, for example). However, there are some indications that this may be changing, at least in some parts of Europe. For example, the resolute opposition in Central European member states (cf. Hungary, Slovakia, Czechia and Poland) to accepting a share of Mother Merkel's migrants has, I suggest, more to do with cultural/heritage reasons than economic ones. Indeed, some of the leaders of these countries have been quite explicit about this, much to the chagrin of Juncker et al. You are correct also that, in the UK, whatever control system is adopted by the current government, it is likely to be based solely on economic criteria (i.e. work permits), although if numbers are dramatically reduced as a result, then this might have implications for any cultural/heritage impacts on the indigenous population.

Edited by NigelFargate

Nissan demands Brexit compensation for new UK investment

Nissan wants Britain to pledge compensation for any tax barriers resulting from its decision to leave the European Union, or the Japanese automaker could scrap a potential new investment in the UK’s biggest car plant.

So much for Brexit won't discourage companies from investing in the UK.

Those amongst us that wish to remain in the EU (which is a growing number now that the lies of the leave campaign are exposed) should email their MPs to get them to vote against the "Great Repeal Bill".

I sent my MP the following...

----------------------------------

On the announcement by Mrs May that there will be a Bill to repeal the Act of Parliament which entered us into the EU (a "Great Repeal Bill"), I hereby petition you to vote against this.

The referendum held on the 23rd June was not a binding referendum under law and as such I am expressing my wishes for you, as my representative in Parliament, to vote against the proposed Act.

If you do not, I trust that this will be due to the fact that, following the referedum of the 23rd June, a majority of constituents have petitioned you to vote for the Act, and I trust that you will be transparent enough to provide proof of this.

The count of the referendum of the 23rd June was not based on Parliamentary constituency grounds and, as such, any national majority cannot be inferred to represent your constituents. Therefore you have an obligation to represent your constituents, and not to reflect any preconceptions on the national vote.

Regards,

--------------------------

Those amongst us that wish to remain in the EU (which is a growing number now that the lies of the leave campaign are exposed) should email their MPs to get them to vote against the "Great Repeal Bill".

On the announcement by Mrs May that there will be a Bill to repeal the Act of Parliament which entered us into the EU (a "Great Repeal Bill"), I hereby petition you to vote against this.

The referendum held on the 23rd June was not a binding referendum under law and as such I am expressing my wishes for you, as my representative in Parliament, to vote against the proposed Act.

If you do not, I trust that this will be due to the fact that, following the referedum of the 23rd June, a majority of constituents have petitioned you to vote for the Act, and I trust that you will be transparent enough to provide proof of this.

The count of the referendum of the 23rd June was not based on Parliamentary constituency grounds and, as such, any national majority cannot be inferred to represent your constituents. Therefore you have an obligation to represent your constituents, and not to reflect any preconceptions on the national vote.

Regards,

Wont this tell you? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36616028

Regards,

Good luck! You will probably have about as much luck as the petition to reverse the decision of the majority vote of the same date.

Edited by monkey104

Hold on a minute, this globalisation and companies taking themselves to more suitable locations etc, has been very much the norm for a long time now.

Which is why Trump wants to cut business taxes by 20%

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 00:59 ----------

The MPs would need to know the terms of withdrawal before they knew which way to vote.

Do you think if it was repeated tomorrow, the result would swing the other way?

The count of the referendum of the 23rd June was not based on Parliamentary constituency grounds and, as such, any national majority cannot be inferred to represent your constituents.

If the count was not based on Parliamentary constituency ground's then why contact your MP?

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 02:06 ----------

Do you think if it was repeated tomorrow, the result would swing the other way?

Its a pity that Scotland didn't get their independence before the EU vote as the vote in the referendum without them would have be an overwhelming Leave vote.