The consequence thread (Brexit)

What if your MP gets a load of letters saying that he should vote out? Just because you're wanting him to stay in doesn't mean you'll be the majority. They don't have to even disclose how many letters they get do they? I think you're wasting your time to be honest.

Absolutely and that is why the MPs should be transparent, but for the sake of a letter it is worth a try.

What if your MP gets a load of letters saying that he should vote out? Just because you're wanting him to stay in doesn't mean you'll be the majority. They don't have to even disclose how many letters they get do they? I think you're wasting your time to be honest.

It should never be a waste of time to write to your MP, and nobody should ever be discouraged from doing so.

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 16:27 ----------

Its going to be interesting to see what happens but I doubt MP's will overrule the wishes of the Nation as it will automatically damage their standing. Sheffield's vote to leave was basically in line with the main result so I doubt people will be happy if their MP's suddenly voted against any act. In any-case when A50 is triggered any repeal to the act will only go ahead after we have already left. Once A50 has been triggered its then all about the detail we make in leaving.

Just a reminder it's the wished of 37% of those eligible to vote at the time.

That is by no stretch of the imagination the 'wishes of the nation'.

The significance of this will become more apparent over time.

What do think will happen? Will it sunshine and moonbeams, full employment and access to single market but no immigration and extra millions to the NHS or massive unemployment unfettered immigration and tariffs?

Surely you must have considered what the possible outcomes were before you cast your vote? I can't believe you went in to the polling booth and thought "I've no idea what will happen, I'll be fine though and vote out".

I think the "we don't know what's going to happen so lets not discuss it" position is because they don't want to have to face up to the real issues that a hard brexit will cause.

We've already started to see impacts with Nissan (which produces about 33% of UK built cars) putting off further investment in the UK unless the government agrees to compensate them for any tariffs they may face as a consequence of brexit. Other car manufacturers have also expressed concerns about access to the EU, they and other industries will be looking twice at investing in the UK if we do have a hard brexit.

I think the "we don't know what's going to happen so lets not discuss it" position is because they don't want to have to face up to the real issues that a hard brexit will cause.

We've already started to see impacts with Nissan (which produces about 33% of UK built cars) putting off further investment in the UK unless the government agrees to compensate them for any tariffs they may face as a consequence of brexit. Other car manufacturers have also expressed concerns about access to the EU, they and other industries will be looking twice at investing in the UK if we do have a hard brexit.

European consumers are reported to be shunning British-made cars.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-10-01/european-customers-boycotting-british-cars-after-brexit-vote/

All those cars that EU manufacturers will still be desperate to sell to us (apparently) might just have found a replacement market.

The EU is holding all the cards, not us. This is going to be painful.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-10-01/european-customers-boycotting-british-cars-after-brexit-vote/

All those cars that EU manufacturers will still be desperate to sell to us (apparently) might just have found a replacement market.

The EU is holding all the cards, not us. This is going to be painful.

Ford only make engines and transmissions in the UK. It's difficult to see those plants remaining open (they've already talked about closing them since the brexit vote) if Ford has to pay tariffs just to put the engines in vehicles.

Ok so it was the wishes of the people who bothered to vote which reflects the wishes of the nation. Just like a democratic National Election you do not count those that don't vote.

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 16:56 ----------

That's OK, let them buy the German, Dutch and Spanish ones that have been fiddling their emissions in order to sell their cars. Just how much have they paid in fines so far to the EU I wonder, probably more than any potential future British tariff.

Ok so it was the wishes of the people who bothered to vote which reflects the wishes of the nation. Just like a democratic National Election you do not count those that don't vote.

It presents the wishes of 37% of the people who were registered to vote.

Try all you can but you can not stretch that to mean the wishes of the nation, even more so given the flawed design of the referendum and the democratically-deficient campaigns that preceded it.

Like I said this fact plus the lack of mandate that May has, and especially so for a hard Brexit, is going to become hugely significanct as the economic thumb screws are ever tigtened as we move forward and it becomes clear that the EU is only going to allow one thing anyway and that is the hardest of Brexits with the toughest possible landing for us they can get away with.

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 16:59 ----------

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 16:56 ----------

That's OK, let them buy the German, Dutch and Spanish ones that have been fiddling their emissions in order to sell their cars. Just how much have they paid in fines so far to the EU I wonder, probably more than any potential future British tariff.

Great solution. Just piddle up to 800,000 British jobs up the wall in a fit of spite.

Get in the real world.

It presents the wishes of 37% of the people who were registered to vote.

Try all you can but you can not stretch that to mean the wishes of the nation, even more so given the flawed design of the referendum and the democratically-deficient campaigns that preceded it.

Yes you can as only those eligible to vote represent the nation.

It should never be a waste of time to write to your MP, and nobody should ever be discouraged from doing so.

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 16:27 ----------

The significance of this will become more apparent over time.

It depends on your expectations. If you write to an MP hoping theyre going to vote against a referendum you had better be prepared to be disappointed (unless your MP is Nick clegg where you MIGHT stand a very small chance). I might write to my MP and ask to borrow her house for a party.