The consequence thread (Brexit)

Sadly you're right. If you are waiting for perfect conditions or turnouts no elections will ever count.

The problem with this one was the design of the referendum.

As we will see the decisive result people seem to think we have will turn out to be nothing of the sort.

The problem with this one was the design of the referendum.

As we will see the decisive result people seem to think we have will turn out to be nothing of the sort.

Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of brexit but if the result was the opposite way round with the same turnout would you have argued the toss for a rerun? I wouldn't have.

It depends on your expectations. If you write to an MP hoping theyre going to vote against a referendum you had better be prepared to be disappointed (unless your MP is Nick clegg where you MIGHT stand a very small chance). I might write to my MP and ask to borrow her house for a party.

Why? I don't understand your reasoning. MPs are our elected representatives and as such should reflect the desires of their constituents.

Besides, as this thread keeps pointing out over 48% of the electorate voted to stay in - so you would expect over 48% or MPs to vote that way wouldn't you? ;-)

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 17:19 ----------

Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of brexit but if the result was the opposite way round with the same turnout would you have argued the toss for a rerun? I wouldn't have.

As Mr Farage (rhymes with Garage) said "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way."

Why? I don't understand your reasoning. MPs are our elected representatives and as such should reflect the desires of their constituents.

Besides, as this thread keeps pointing out over 48% of the electorate voted to stay in - so you would expect over 48% or MPs to vote that way wouldn't you? ;-)

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 17:19 ----------

As Mr Farage (rhymes with Garage) said "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way."

Nigel farage is an con man and is now out of the way. Nigel farage also promised on a number of occaisions loads of ex-EU money to the NHS. Nigel farage is a liar. Let's just put that to bed.

I don't know what your constituency is but I bet you could extrapolate what the likely result was couldn't you? Hallam "in", brightside "out"? Ask your MP for a chat rather than a letter. You might get more of an idea that way.

What do think will happen? Will it sunshine and moonbeams, full employment and access to single market but no immigration and extra millions to the NHS or massive unemployment unfettered immigration and tariffs?

Surely you must have considered what the possible outcomes were before you cast your vote? I can't believe you went in to the polling booth and thought "I've no idea what will happen, I'll be fine though and vote out".

You will have to direct me to the part where I said all that.

See that's the problem with remainers, making something up out of nothing.

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 17:38 ----------

It should never be a waste of time to write to your MP, and nobody should ever be discouraged from doing so.

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 16:27 ----------

Just a reminder it's the wished of 37% of those eligible to vote at the time.

That is by no stretch of the imagination the 'wishes of the nation'.

The significance of this will become more apparent over time.

That's the wonderful thing about living in a democracy. You have the right to vote and you have the right not to vote ( so far ).

If something doesn't go your way because you didn't vote, well!

But let's still bang on in a negative way about something we are never going to change, throwing in theories and your own thoughts without any knowledge how it will work as it has never happened before.

Nigel farage is an con man and is now out of the way. Nigel farage also promised on a number of occaisions loads of ex-EU money to the NHS. Nigel farage is a liar. Let's just put that to bed.

I don't know what your constituency is but I bet you could extrapolate what the likely result was couldn't you? Hallam "in", brightside "out"? Ask your MP for a chat rather than a letter. You might get more of an idea that way.

And Cameron was a pillar of virtue?

You will have to direct me to the part where I said all that.

See that's the problem with remainers, making something up out of nothing.

I never did say that you said it - it was a suggestion of what may have happened (did that really need explaining?) But if you could clarify how you arrived at your decision to vote leave I'd be grateful. Weve established you don't know or care what happens next, I'm just wondering how someone gets to that decision.

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 17:42 ----------

And Cameron was a pillar of virtue?

No! Cameron was a scaremongering moron who has cost this country billions in trade and put in massive fault lines that will scar this country for years!