The consequence thread (Brexit)

Fair enough, and -not for the first time- thank you for your debating honesty and candour.

However, and at the risk of appearing uncough, may I remind you what the actual referendum question put to the British electorate actually was:

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"

with the responses to the question to be (to be marked with a single (X)):

Remain a member of the European Union

Leave the European Union"

Good of you to bring up the spirit and letter of the referendum before I did as, having regard to the above referendum question, might I now take this opportunity to remind you that EEA/EFTA membership is not "membership of the European Union" and therefore, as 'soft Brexit', just as valid an outcome of the referendum 'mandate' as 'hard Brexit'.

So.

The (new) British government is now moving apace to implement a consultative-only outcome [letter of the law: consultative, not legislative], which it chooses unilaterally and freely to interpret significantly beyond the wording of the referendum outcome as 'hard Brexit', and arguably without parliamentary oversight if the Courts will let it get away with it.

Now, I may be mistaken, but I recall you strenuously arguing that improved democracy, with increased accountability for people in high office as a by-product of same, were core to your decision-making process?

Does what May is currently doing, seemingly of her own bat, correspond to that vision of democratic improvement of yours?

Are you not even a little bit perplexed by the apparent wilful disregard of the current government for checks and balances, here?

There can only be one fair interpretation of BREXIT and that is for the UK to leave the EU and return the status quo to pre 1973. Hard BREXIT and Soft BREXIT are just made up nonsense phrases. Those people who want soft BREXIT are the same people who voted to remain in the EU and don't respect the democratic wishes of the electorate.

Yes it is correct. The other EU countries (with the exception of Ireland and (later) Sweden) placed a seven year moratorium on migration from the CEECs.

Why did we not do so? Partly it was due to Blair's megalomaniacal desire to cast himself in the role of a 'good European' (possibly with one eye set on becoming a Council or Commission president once his work with the UK was done); and partly due to a commissioned report on the likely impact of CEEC migration into the UK by a professor Dustmann (who would probably have been more useful working on the bins). Dustmann later claimed that his ludicrously low forecasts were predicated on the assumption that there would be no moratorium, but the fact that the government accepted his reassuringly low figures was either due to gross incompetence or willful blindness. Dustmann was, and continues to be, an advocate of mass immigration, so the fact that the government hired him in the first place speaks volumes as to its intention.

I stand corrected!

---------- Post added 03-10-2016 at 17:28 ----------

There can only be one fair interpretation of BREXIT and that is for the UK to leave the EU and return the status quo to pre 1973. Hard BREXIT and Soft BREXIT are just made up nonsense phrases. Those people who want soft BREXIT are the same people who voted to remain in the EU and don't respect the democratic wishes of the electorate.

Now you ARE making things up. Unless you've asked everyone who voted brexit. Which you haven't.

You mean everything is going along OK despite the remoaners like yourself moaning, you are contributing whilst taking a good living out of this country, not bad for an out of work librarian who couldn't make it in his own country.

The FTSE 250 is still below its level in May 2015, so that means that UK based companies are performing poorly.

That could be down to poor Conservative economic policies or uncertainty over leaving the EU.

It was 18,192 in May 2015, it is now 18,183; in a well performing economy it should be around 5% higher.

The FTSE 250 is still below its level in May 2015, so that means that UK based companies are performing poorly.

No it doesn't mean that, what it means is that the FTSE 250 performance is down and that is because of share trading and nothing to do with a companies performing poorly.

It was 18,192 in May 2015, it is now 18,183; in a well performing economy it should be around 5% higher.

But.. Its only statistics on share prices which will always change. What you point out is that it was at its highest in May 22 2015. Now go back 3 months from that date to to Feb 13 2015 and it was 16,847 and go 3 months the other way to Aug 21 and it was 16,876. In fact on Feb 15 this year it dipped to as low as 15,431 and that was well before the referendum.

I seem to remember you accusing Jews of declaring war on Nazi Germany, that paradigm of democracy.

Correct I don't try and change history to suit, well published at the time,

nice try at getting your favourite subject in though, still putting that little moustache on are you, you'll wear the carpet out with all that strutting,

Soros won't pay for a new one.

No it doesn't mean that, what it means is that the FTSE 250 performance is down and that is because of share trading and nothing to do with a companies performing poorly.

I am interested, how do you judge when a company is performing well/poorly?