The consequence thread (Brexit)

Sometimes when a company announces redundancies the share price has risen....now, does that mean the company is doing well or badly?

One company tells you very little.

The FTSE 250 has lots of different UK companies, so if there is a trend in one direction, that is telling you something.

One company tells you very little.

The FTSE 250 has lots of different UK companies, so if there is a trend in one direction, that is telling you something.

That's a very different point to the question I answered.

---------- Post added 03-10-2016 at 21:37 ----------

Sometimes when a company announces redundancies the share price has risen....now, does that mean the company is doing well or badly?

My answer to your question.

Edited by Santo

I am interested, how do you judge when a company is performing well/poorly?

Your question.

---------- Post added 03-10-2016 at 21:39 ----------

Generally by how much profit it makes in a given financial period.

A good answer :)

What that is telling you is people are speculating on shares and prices and using the trading of them to make money or lessen any future losses that may occur.

Edited by apelike

And there we go. Pound has fallen to the lowest level against the dollar for 31 years. With nothing supporting it either, it can still and almost certainly will carry on falling.

---------- Post added 04-10-2016 at 09:39 ----------

What that is telling you is people are speculating on shares and prices and using the trading of them to make money or lessen any future losses that may occur.

What that tells me is you don't understand what the share price is....

---------- Post added 04-10-2016 at 09:41 ----------

Correct I don't try and change history to suit, well published at the time,

nice try at getting your favourite subject in though, still putting that little moustache on are you, you'll wear the carpet out with all that strutting,

Soros won't pay for a new one.

Accusations of Nazism, deflections of revisionism, and the inevitable invoking of Soros as a bad guy... you never change peter....

---------- Post added 04-10-2016 at 09:42 ----------

It means that the investors think that the company has the capability to do well and that the employees shed were "dead wood" and more of a hindrance than an asset to future well being of the company.

And there we go. Pound has fallen to the lowest level against the dollar for 31 years. With nothing supporting it either, it can still and almost certainly will carry on falling.

It seems to me that the USD comparison is a little biased. Not that I'm saying the GBP hasn't fallen since the vote. Clearly it has. But the USD is not a fixed point and it has been doing very well of late.

Since most of the vaunted free trade we are supposed to have post brexit is going to be against the dollar it seems an eminently sensible figure to use.

I'm not sure that's a thing.

At any rate we've been running a stupidly large net trade and services deficit for many years and that implies to me that the currency was overvalued anyway. What does it imply to you?

I'm not sure that's a thing.

At any rate we've been running a stupidly large net trade and services deficit for many years and that implies to me that the currency was overvalued anyway. What does it imply to you?

It tells me that when it comes to the EU and brexit you are so blinkered by your obvious bias that you cannot see the correlation and causation that is right in front of your face.