The consequence thread (Brexit)

Quite true but we live in a global economy and manufacturing can be and is moved around the world to get the best deals. My Sister in laws brother works for Vauxhall in Cheshire and is worried about his future at the plant. Decisions are made thousands of miles away from the plants.

Yes, we do live in a global economy which means the EU is having less influence as each year passes.

I hope your relative's job is safe. I remember before the referendum vote, that Jaguar UK workers were concerned about a new Jaguar plant opening in Slovakia.

---------- Post added 07-10-2016 at 10:11 ----------

you are aware that renault and nissan have been joined at the shareholding hip since 1999, right? With renault holding the controlling shareholding? That carlos ghosn (he of "give us moneyback warranties about brexit consequences or else" to t. May) headed renault before he became chairman and ceo of the renault-nissan alliance?

ok ..........

Edited by Gamston

Yes, we do live in a global economy which means the EU is having less influence as each year passes.
Oh, the ironing...

I hope your relative's job is safe. I remember before the referendum vote, that Jaguar UK workers were concerned about a new Jaguar plant opening in Slovakia.
Jaguar Land Rover has been owned by Tata since 2008.

The same Tata as in 'Tata Steel'.

Indian company.

Who doesn't exactly give two figs about plants in the UK, if the return on investment doesn't fit the model (for people with short memories, perhaps search under "Port Talbot Steelworks", on/around 30 March 2016).

The same crew was in power at No.10 the time, btw.

Edited by L00b

Oh, the ironing...

Indian company.

Who doesn't exactly give two figs about plants in the UK, if the return on investment doesn't fit the model (for people with short memories, perhaps search under "Port Talbot Steelworks", on/around 30 March 2016).

To be fair to Tata, they did also say they are investing £1bn for engine development at JLR in the UK as well as opening the Slovakia factory....

I thought the Slovakia plant was for growing JLR demand in those parts? The already have factories in India and China and maybe Brazil IIRC for the same reason.

Edited by Santo

Oh, the ironing...

Indian company.

The point is we live in a global economy and the decisions you seem to highlight, were made long before the EU referendum result.

Mind how you go, too much spinning can make you go very dizzy.

I always do my own ironing, don't see what difference being in or out of the EU would make (Unless you're getting cheap East European labour to do it for you, idle article).
Woooooosh!

To be fair to Tata, they did also say they are investing £1bn for engine development at JLR in the UK as well as opening the Slovakia factory....
Fair point.

I suppose it makes sense to build engines in a low currency economy and assemble elsewhere.

The point is we live in a global economy and the decisions you seem to highlight, were made long before the EU referendum result.

Mind how you go, too much spinning can make you go very dizzy.

I'm not highlighting decisions, nor spinning anything. I'm just providing you with a context :)

Fear not, I'm sure all will be well :hihi:

I dont think ordinary people accept this global economy has brought down the earning of top directors; but it has brought their wages down.

From next week petrol will rise around 3p a litre due to the pound,when's it going to stop falling
The pound is 25% down since 24 June.

Forecasters expect stability to resume at parity level with the dollar (£1 = $1). Parity is a 33% drop relative to the earlier long-term stable level of £1 = $1,5. Currently they expect that to happen by end 2017.

So. The earlier of another 8% down, or end 2017. Or somewhere in-between. Maybe.

Filled you car yet?