The consequence thread (Brexit)

Things were so awesome the uk only had to work 3 days a week didn't they? Utopia!

What! So we join the eu and now have to work 5 days a week?

---------- Post added 11-10-2016 at 08:50 ----------

Cornwall and South Yorkshire immediately after the vote wanted assurances that funding would continue. Well, it is obvious that people didn't know what they voted for or they think the price is worth paying. If it is the latter, they can pay.

What was that little nugget based on?

What was that little nugget based on?
The news of course, what else? :)

So new projects due to start from 2017 onwards are scrapped.
UK university budgets, especially R&D projects, have been haemorrhaging since before July, with corporate research partners gradually stalling on investments since February.

Unsurprisingly, UK universities have been serially failing in bids for EU Horizon 2020 funding since July as well, and have been consistently reporting difficulty in attracting EU researchers & fellows for 3 months now.

They're spiralling down global league tables.

I thought you knew.

Edited by L00b

Cornwall and South Yorkshire immediately after the vote wanted assurances that funding would continue. Well, it is obvious that people didn't know what they voted for or they think the price is worth paying. If it is the latter, they can pay.

Ahh the beauty of democracy.

It is just about possible that the people who voted out were not the same people asking for equal funding

The media on the other hand have no interest in one balanced view. They will shout the opposites from the roof tops in the name of of greater sales and a divided society, god damn them!

Ahh the beauty of democracy.

It is just about possible that the people who voted out were not the same people asking for equal funding

Self-contradicting yourself in two consecutive sentences?

The people asking for equal funding abide and live by the voters' majority choice. That's democracy in action, right there.

Now, let's have your take on the democratic merit of May continually and deliberately ignoring the nation's elected Parliament about the modalities of Brexit. You know, the debate which a Lincolnshire Tory MP called for, and which was reported as denied by the government this morning. His comment about it was right on the nose, as it happens: Leavers have managed to shrug off the overseas democratic deficit of Brussels, for the domestic democratic deficit of May's government. I await Leaver's comments to the effect that, at least, they're our dictators now! :hihi:

Edited by L00b

Not to mention (almost?) every other currency in the world, against which the pound has lost around 17% since June 23rd. I've only checked this for a few random currencies - the US dollar, the Vietnamese dong, the Pakistani rupee and the Venezuelan Bolivar Fuerte (a singularly inappropriately named currency that suffered its own massive collapse back in March/April) - but I'm fairly sure that it applies generally.

Or is the argument that it's not the pound that's grown weaker, but every other currency in the world that's grown stronger?

That's not what I said. Did you read what I said?

You said:

which isn't true.

Okay. I did post a graph which shows a drop after the vote against gold, followed by a period of relative stability. I was attacking the assertion that fluctuations following the rapid drop after the vote were real and serious.

Looking back at the way I worded it, that does not come across clearly. My bad. But it is what I was trying to say.

Well, compared to immediately after the vote, the pound has lost about 7% against the US dollar, and about 7% against the Bolivar Fuerte. If the pound has remained relatively stable against gold, that's because gold has also been losing value.

The fiat currencies vary in value depending on markets and government/central bank manipulation. What could be causing the price of gold to match Sterling?