The consequence thread (Brexit)

Yes, I would imagine all manifestos would differ considerably. But the winning party might have a manifesto that is soundly rejected by the EU members when the time comes. In fact we could have a situation where the government has to implement Brexit using essentially what another party had pledged to do in their manifesto.

It all seems rather tricky for where I'm standing.

Perhaps, because the Tories won an election (pledging the referendum) and are the party in power that 'lost' it they should be the ones to carry its burden. With lots of parliamentary debate and voting where necessary?

It looks far less dangerous to me to go back to the country with something more than a simple binary question.

It looks far less dangerous to me to go back to the country with something more than a simple binary question.

Well, assuming the March pledge I assume you want the GE before triggering Article 50? That's not much time. Or would you stall on Article 50? Meaning a longer period of uncertainty and time for a now frenzied UKIP to regroup?

In fact we could have a situation where the government has to implement Brexit using essentially what another party had pledged to do in their manifesto.

New governments are not obliged to carry out the policies of the previous government and as stated already a party manifesto is not legally binding anyway.

New governments are not obliged to carry out the policies of the previous government and as stated already a party manifesto is not legally binding anyway.

Seeing as the next Government is guaranteed to be the same as this one , due to there being no opposition , that wont be an issue.

Well, assuming the March pledge I assume you want the GE before triggering Article 50? That's not much time. Or would you stall on Article 50? Meaning a longer period of uncertainty and time for a now frenzied UKIP to regroup?

It's enough time. Plenty. No need to stall article 50 beyond March.

---------- Post added 14-10-2016 at 20:47 ----------

Neither was the referendum.

The UK parliament can legally do pretty much whatever it wants.

Some things would be objected to by international bodies, but then parliament can also withdraw from these bodies when it chooses.

That's what they can do in principle. In reality there are any number of things which they can't do in practice. Overriding or in any other way reversing this referendum result is one of them.

The UK parliament can legally do pretty much whatever it wants.

Some things would be objected to by international bodies, but then parliament can also withdraw from these bodies when it chooses.

That's what they can do in principle. In reality there are any number of things which they can't do in practice. Overriding or in any other way reversing this referendum result is one of them.

There is nothing to override. It wasn't legally binding.

The concept of the will of the people means nothing in this context either because only 37% of the electorate stated a wish to leave, and there is plenty of evidence that a significant number of people regretted their decision anyway.

But anyway, back to the practicalities. If we hit a scenario where the pound comes close to parity with the dollar or Euro with no floor in sight then there could be a clear case for delaying Brexit to stabilise the markets. In fact people could be screaming for it, including people who voted Brexit. People will only be able to keep the blinkers on for so long.

People will get this eventually: the economy and the wellbeing of people will trump all the woolly notions of sovereignty, the perceptions of immigration, the flawed idea of EU dictatorship etc...

The economy will trump everything else. Just a matter of how far it is let slide before enough of the politicians wake up.

Edited by I1L2T3

There is nothing to override. It wasn't legally binding.

The concept of the will of the people means nothing in this context either because only 37% of the electorate stated a wish to leave, and there is plenty of evidence that a significant number of people regretted their decision anyway.

I does not matter whether it was legally binding or not. The only thing that matters is whether the wishes of the people in this democratically held referendum, approved by Parliament are carried out. You also keep stating that only 37% of the electorate stated a wish to leave but it is a straw-man argument. What actually counts is the 52% majority of those that did vote. Like in any election those that don't vote are ignored as they don't constitute part of the election results. If they wanted to be included then the simple way was for them to vote.

I does not matter whether it was legally binding or not. The only thing that matters is whether the wishes of the people in this democratically held referendum, approved by Parliament are carried out. You also keep stating that only 37% of the electorate stated a wish to leave but it is a straw-man argument. What actually counts is the 52% majority of those that did vote. Like in any election those that don't vote are ignored as they don't constitute part of the election results. If they wanted to be included then the simple way was for them to vote.

It's a classic, that's often used when people have lost.

The same things when the Torys won the election. 'It wasn't fair, only 8% of population voted for them' :hihi:

I does not matter whether it was legally binding or not. The only thing that matters is whether the wishes of the people in this democratically held referendum, approved by Parliament are carried out.

I would rather the democratically elected members of the House of Commons decide if we should leave or not as they are far more informed and qualified than the average voter by a very long way.