The consequence thread (Brexit)

I does not matter whether it was legally binding or not. The only thing that matters is whether the wishes of the people in this democratically held referendum, approved by Parliament are carried out. You also keep stating that only 37% of the electorate stated a wish to leave but it is a straw-man argument. What actually counts is the 52% majority of those that did vote. Like in any election those that don't vote are ignored as they don't constitute part of the election results. If they wanted to be included then the simple way was for them to vote.

It wasnt particularly democratic. Some British people were prevented from voting, 16-17 year olds were denied a say in their future, the campaigns lacked information to help the voters decide, the campaign window was far too short, campaigns were personality-driven and were brazenly festooned with lies. It has undermined our representative democracy too.

It has led to a clique hijacking the apparatus of government to force through an extreme vision of Brexit whilst trying to avoid democratic scrutiny so you are effectively claiming we had a decocratic referendum to allow a clique to subvert our democracy.

It's a rotten situation.

It wasnt particularly democratic. Some British people were prevented from voting, 16-17 year olds were denied a say in their future, the campaigns lacked information to help the voters decide, the campaign window was far too short, campaigns were personality-driven and were brazenly festooned with lies. It has undermined our representative democracy too.

It has led to a clique hijacking the apparatus of government to force through an extreme vision of Brexit whilst trying to avoid democratic scrutiny so you are effectively claiming we had a decocratic referendum to allow a clique to subvert our democracy.

It's a rotten situation.

How many 16-17 yo's know anything about politics (or even care)?

I think the left always want 16-17 yo's as the ones interested in politics they are far more likely to be left-wing. Even 18-21 that I pick up in taxi are all still anarchic, even the posh ones :hihi:

It's a classic, that's often used when people have lost.

The same things when the Torys won the election. 'It wasn't fair, only 8% of population voted for them' :hihi:

In this case it's highly relevant because it is being claimed that the referendum was pure democracy.

Only 37% voting for it is not good enough, and after all a lot of the people backing that as suffucent are the same people who cry foul when strike action goes ahead on similar percentages in union ballots.

It's a rotten situation.

accept it it happened and wont be reversed

I does not matter whether it was legally binding or not. The only thing that matters is whether the wishes of the people in this democratically held referendum, approved by Parliament are carried out. You also keep stating that only 37% of the electorate stated a wish to leave but it is a straw-man argument. What actually counts is the 52% majority of those that did vote. Like in any election those that don't vote are ignored as they don't constitute part of the election results. If they wanted to be included then the simple way was for them to vote.

You don't think that a 2% majority is a pretty slim one to destroy the country over?

How many 16-17 yo's know anything about politics (or even care)?

I think the left always want 16-17 yo's as the ones interested in politics they are far more likely to be left-wing. Even 18-21 that I pick up in taxi are all still anarchic, even the posh ones :hihi:

None of that is an argument for preventing them voting. Polling suggests that given the chance 75% of them would have voted and that is in line with the turnout of 16-17 year olds in the Scottish referendum.

---------- Post added 14-10-2016 at 22:49 ----------

accept it it happened and wont be reversed

Like I said there is nothing to reverse.

In this case it's highly relevant because it is being claimed that the referendum was pure democracy.

Well fair enough if someone claimed 'pure democracy' it seems a like you're picking up on this as a last resort, unless you can clear up what that actually is.

I can't imagine what a 100% pure democracy is. Sounds like some kind of ridiculous unachievable perfection. I learned that people all think differently by about 4.

Only 37% voting for it is not good enough, and after all a lot of the people backing that as suffucent are the same people who cry foul when strike action goes ahead on similar percentages in union ballots.

You are really scraping the barrel here :hihi:

first bold, using a nice little figure here to make it look like no one wants it. only 37% people want it. So 63% don't is your logic. Crap logic.

Let's rewrite this sentence, and then tell me if you think it's unreasonable:

72% of the electorate turned out.

That's it.

-

Second bold:

Union ballots are a dreadful example of democracy.

Imagine how much feather spitting would being done now if the vote 92% Leave, but only 34% actually voted.

All the Remainer's seriously need to let it go, we lost and that is the end of it. I say "we" because I am a remainer too.

Seriously, just let it go and take whatever it throws at you the same as everything else in life. Keep dwelling on it and it is seriously gonna drive you up the wall.

None of that is an argument for preventing them voting. Polling suggests that given the chance 75% of them would have voted and that is in line with the turnout of 16-17 year olds in the Scottish referendum.

Like I said there is nothing to reverse.

:hihi:

Yes, only because it would become tutorial lesson in school. Hardly the life experience of older people. I don't want the future of the country to be swung by what schools teach them to vote. Most won't really have a clue about the EU or anything to do with politics if not for a quick few lessons.

Let's face it most teachers are left-wing. If 16-17 years are allowed to vote without at least a few years notice, you'll just end up with politicians concentrating on slobbering their crap in schools, rather than people who know what's going on. It's a cheap few votes.