The consequence thread (Brexit)

If the EU refuse then we are entitled to WTO MFN status which means that EU businesses wanting to sell in the UK will pay a lot more to the UK exchequer than UK businesses wanting to sell in the EU will pay into theirs.

for the sake if accuracy, its the people buying the imported goods who will be contributing to the various national treasuries.

for the sake if accuracy, its the people buying the imported goods who will be contributing to the various national treasuries.

Indirectly of course, but the UK people will be paying a lot less then the UK government are receiving. Essentially EU citizens would be paying our taxes for us. If we make an offer to forgo this state of affairs, and they refuse, we're quids in.

But if folk buying Mercedes Benz cars contribute by paying a purchase levy there is less need to tax incomes and more money for things like the NHS.

Both sides made some wild claims and both sides counter the other sides wild claims. Democracy is never perfectly conducted.

Exactly how many referenda would you like to hold?

Exactly one, when the terms of leaving are clear and more of the potential problems and any opportunities have become more like facts than guesswork.

---------- Post added 15-10-2016 at 09:01 ----------

These claims that many people who voted leave now back remain seem troublesome because can't one argue that if things change in the EU many would now back Brexit?

As a basic example, how many people voted Remain thinking Turkey won't be joining any time soon? And who was Boris courting just a few weeks ago?

Saying loads of people have changed their minds is meaningless. Only another referendum would prove that conclusively and that looks unlikely to happen.

I'm tired of hearing it [talk of/demands for another referendum] to be honest.

Why don`t we go the whole way and say why do we have General Elections every five years ? ! ? Repeatedly going back to the country till they vote the right way ! It`s undemocratic ! !

Only joking, well half joking.......

Indirectly of course, but the UK people will be paying a lot less then the UK government are receiving. Essentially EU citizens would be paying our taxes for us. If we make an offer to forgo this state of affairs, and they refuse, we're quids in.

except it wont happen like that, the purchase price of imported items will rise and people will either refuse to pay the price or if they do have less income to spend on other things.

of course, having had 40 years of governments who were quite sanguine about the decline of our manufacturing base then we wont really have much choice to either pay up or go without.

what with white goods being luxury items, racism, grammar schools, the threat of nuclear war, and women leaders of the conservative party then it will be like the 70's all over again - yay!

of course, rising prices of imports should encourage local manufacturing but it will take years to significantly rebuild and of course will require investment capital, skilled workers, raw materials all of which will will be in short supply unless they are imported.

Edited by andyofborg

I think your nephew may not have been thinking clearly if that is all he was voting for.

I think you`re right, though to be fair he`s not much interested in politics. Interestingly both his parents were very much in the Remain camp, one wonders if he was rebelling against them ! I`m not sure he`d have done so if he`d have known that we really might be leaving Europe..... He has, in fact, already said he thinks he regrets his vote, thought the reason he gave was the £350 million isn`t actually going the NHS as he thought it was.

But I`m prepared to bet there were at least another 4% of those who voted leave that have similar tales to tell.

except it wont happen like that, the purchase price of imported items will rise and people will either refuse to pay the price or if they do have less income to spend on other things.

of course, having had 40 years of governments who were quite sanguine about the decline of our manufacturing base then we wont really have much choice to either pay up or go without.

what with white goods being luxury items, racism, grammar schools and women leaders of the conservative party then it will be like the 70's all over again - yay!

of course, rising prices of imports should encourage local manufacturing but it will take years to significantly rebuild and of course will require investment capital, skilled workers, raw materials all of which will will be in short supply unless they are imported.

It can't possibly work like that overall. It's more money coming into the country. More money, not less. If the government keep it it will be more spent on public services etc, if we get a tax cut we're quids in. Either way it's a win for the UK.

More money coming into the UK is good.

It can't possibly work like that overall. It's more money coming into the country. More money, not less. If the government keep it it will be more spent on public services etc, if we get a tax cut we're quids in. Either way it's a win for the UK.

More money coming into the UK is good.

my post is exactly how it will work

my post is exactly how it will work

That's not actually possible. It's literally impossible. More money coming into the UK literally cannot have a direct net negative effect on the wealth of the nation.

Now free trade promotes good international relations and promotes growth, which is why WTO MFN status is second choice. But as second choices go it's a pretty damn fine one.

But its now too late for that as the vote was given to the voting population. Parliament could have amended the referendum act accordingly and put in other amendments to make it legally binding as well when they had the chance, but they didn't. I suspect they were just being lazy because they like Cameron thought the result would be a resounding stay vote.

Personally I think Cameron never even thought he`d have to go with a referendum because he expected to be in another coalition. The seeds of disaster* came from the fact the Tories got an unexpected overall majority at the last GE.

* Because that`s what I think it is. The country may well end up doing something that the majority will soon regret, if they don`t already. What are the latest polls ?

It`s actually quite ironic that the working class vote which ensured we may well end up leaving the EU will be the ones to suffer the most, they`re the least able to afford more expensive food and stuff. It`s obscene that the other great Leave vote came from older people, who, because they`re on a guaranteed pension (and my not be around much longer anyway) are the least affected by leaving the EU.......