The consequence thread (Brexit)

The EU will eventually fall apart, why do you think they say they will punish us for leaving and to expect no favourable deals.

The remainers must accept that the path has been Choosen and there is no u turns going to happen.

Britain us beggining a new journey, let's see where it takes us first before scaring yourselves and being afraid by all the doomsday scenarios that keep getting repeated.

We are going to encounter some turbulence but we will survive. :)

The EU will eventually fall apart, why do you think they say they will punish us for leaving and to expect no favourable deals.

The remainers must accept that the path has been Choosen and there is no u turns going to happen.

Britain us beggining a new journey, let's see where it takes us first before scaring yourselves and being afraid by all the doomsday scenarios that keep getting repeated.

I think the vast majority of remainers accept the result, we just don't like it!

---------- Post added 16-10-2016 at 01:32 ----------

tbh, I don't get that.

Robbie Williams left take that first, had a successful solo career? I'm doing my best to make pop culture references here (albeit old ones) ;)

Firstly - since when are you an expert on EU matters? What is it that makes you believe the 'EU will fall apart?'

Secondly - the EU isn't saying they will punish Britain, it is saying that Britain can't expect to pick and choose, there is a very significant difference.

Thirdly - of course we'll survive, at a lower standard of living, but that is the choice that was made.

We know the Brexit process is beginning. The challenge now is limiting the economic and social damage, i.e. preventing the hardest of Brexit.

We're getting back £10bn net in payments, we'll have control of our own law, we'll have the option of getting good trade deals with the rest of the world as well as with the EU, and any tariffs the EU foolish choose to impose will actually directly benefit the UK financially.

We'll be losing more in tax receipts, the treasury will have less money to spend.

We won't have any input on European law, and will be required to implement EU law in order to keep interacting with them.

We will have the option but no realistic proposition of getting good trade deals.

We won't have any say on tariffs the EU chooses to impose, unlike now when we have a veto and a strong voice.

---------- Post added 16-10-2016 at 10:57 ----------

Optimism: at the end of WW2 we were massively in debt, thousands and thousands were dead, cities were razed, manufacturing was pretty much dedicated to the war effort and the empire was crumbling. And we survived....

Can Brexit be anything like as bad as that??

And it took 2 decades for the country to get back onto it's feet.

Is that something we should be striving to emulate? :huh:

I ask for an absence of protectionism without collective government.

Just how protectionist is the EU? Obviously over the last decade and with the aftershocks from 2008 still happening countries and trading blocs are becoming more prone to adopting protectionist policy. I don't think the EU has really increased protectionism but the calls for it are there. The biggest brake on EU protectionism is the UK. We are the biggest counterweight to for example the protectionist tendencies of the French. With us out the shutters could go up. If we unilaterally declare we are going for pure free trade then it won't make the EU less protectionist. It might become more protectionist but then we are stuck sitting on the back step in the cold while they throw us scraps through the cat flap.

On the other hand China and India are heavily protectionist. They want to sell but they staunchly protect their own markets. They aren't going to magically open markets up for the UK either just because we unilaterally declare we are going for pure free trade. Same for most other countries.

The more I think about it the madder it seems. You are looking at a country with 1% of the world's population making a unilateral declaration of pure free trade then expecting the rest of the globe to fit in with that. It's sheer craziness. Nothing less.

No it's not plausible. There's no reason to suppose, or even suspect, that any of these things you predict will come to pass.

You might as well say that the skies will fall as a result of Brexit.

Well, except for the fact that economists are saying that they can't predict the new £/$ or £/E value, but it's got further to fall.

Banks are already shifting jobs and functions abroad, and in the event of a hard brexit they are making plans to shift entire HQs and departments abroad.

But no, not remotely plausible, if you live in a bubble of blind optimism.

I'm getting a little fed up with the remoaners trying to claim that the predictions of economic catastrophe pertained to actual Brexit and not the vote itself. This is clearly false and an attempt to cover up the fact that their side was proven emphatically wrong.

A vote to leave would cause an immediate and profound economic shock...

The effect...would be to push the UK into recession and leave to a sharp rise in unemployment.

HM Treasury. 23rd May 2016